This topic is specifically designed for media or other requests for information / help from Mumsnet members. We ask those organisations requesting help here to pay a fee of £30 per request as a contribution to the site (when you've typed in your request, you will automatically be taken to a WorldPay page where you can pay by credit card). Many thanks. NOTE: Mumsnet does not check the content of these requests nor verify any links posted here; we'd like to remind you that it's wise always to be cautious about disclosing any personal data.

Women's fears in rural areas

(43 Posts)
rose89 Sat 31-Aug-13 13:49:15

Hi there.

I'm currently in the process of conducting my undergraduate dissertation in Human Geography. It's on the topic of women's fears in rural areas, and i'm just wondering if any of you can offer me any of your ideas on your fears.

I'm interested in learning about women's fears (or feelings of safety!) living in rural villages or isolated areas. These can be any fears at all, but I'm particularly interested in hearing about fears or experiences of violence, crime, abuse, etc, in public space or in the home, and looking at the role of place/rural in either exacerbating or comforting these fears.

If you have anything to offer I would be very grateful! Any random fears at all would also be most welcome!

Thank you

Sangelina Sat 31-Aug-13 13:52:01

I've no worries at all. I feel far safer here than in town where no-one knew their neighbours or who lived around them.

littlewhitebag Sat 31-Aug-13 13:54:40

I live rurally and it feels very safe to me. I have no fears when at home. I suppose the only thing would be the lack of street lighting so in the winter i don't walk alone anywhere at night and i won't let my DD walk alone.

everlong Sat 31-Aug-13 13:55:55

I live in a semi rural village. The only time I feel vulnerable is walking the dog ( soon to be dogs ) I vary where I walk but it can be very isolated, just me and mutt for miles. I do do that looking over the shoulder thing a lot.

I speak to different dog walkers who say it never crosses their mind.

I have no qualms about walking to and from the pub on my own or the train station though.

I always lock my doors when in the house alone.

Hth.

Portofino Sat 31-Aug-13 13:56:03

Should you not run this by MNHQ first? Not sure if you have to pay, but asking for posters to provide you with potentially sensitive information like this, I would like to see that MNHQ have checked your credentials first personally. I can think of certain creepy types who might enjoy reading posts on this subject. I'll report this for you. smile

Boomba Sat 31-Aug-13 13:57:30

I grew up in a village and spent most of my life rurally. I feel much safer living in town. There are more people around to call for help if necessary. Find it a much more friendly, supportive and inclusive community

my BIGGEST fear living rurally,was that or my children might become narrow minded bigoted snobs

rose89 Sat 31-Aug-13 13:59:25

Thanks - I'm new to this so didn't know I had to do that- Will do!

SummerRain Sat 31-Aug-13 14:00:43

I feel 1000% safer living in the sticks than I ever did in a town.

My only real concern is distance from a hospital if something happens but I'll gladly trade that worry for the constant tension I felt in the city.

Silverfoxballs Sat 31-Aug-13 14:01:25

Being trampled by cows, no really as a child in a rural area I was scared of them. I used to walk across fields to get to my friends house and there they were.

I used to stay with a Relative of DH who lived literally in the middle of nowhere, I hated being so isolated. I always thought how the hell would an ambulance find this place in an emergency. It was also a bit evil dead like and in the middle of its own small wood.

Thinkingofmyfabfour Sat 31-Aug-13 14:24:43

I live in the country and generally feel very safe. The only time I feel a bit worried is taking rubbish out to the bin at night, but I'm scared in case I come across a Big Cat (several local sightings reported) rather than a fear of crime blush
Probably not the kind of answer you were expecting!

Roomfor1more Sat 31-Aug-13 14:37:21

Live in a very rural area and feel 100% safe. My closest neighbour is a half mile away from me. Have no issue with allowing my kids outside to play. My husband works away sometimes but once I have the house alarm on in the night, the Seven Nation army could be looking in the patio door at me and I wouldn't be bothered. Plus have two rather large scary looking Doberman dogs so that adds to the safe feeling too smile

rose89 Sat 31-Aug-13 14:37:39

Thanks for the replies so far- very interesting.
Thinkingofmyfabfour- that's really interesting! Fears like that will be equally useful for my study and I want to leave it as open as possible - it may be that for some of you crime is not a fear in rural areas. smile

We live in a very cut off rural coastal village. A huge contrast to inner south London where we used to live. I feel far, far safer here, even with a DH who works away and a young DS who has severe disabilities and potentially life threatening epilepsy.

Here, I know all my neighbours and they all know our situation. We all help each other out and it's more of a communal living style a lot of the time. I also have got to know some of the local paramedics and the air ambulance, when needed, lands in my friend's garden, so if DS needs to get to hospital quick sharp it's far easier here than it was in London, and that was my biggest fear, with a child who has a propensity to stop breathing.

My biggest fear is being cut off by bad weather. This winter we had awful awful flooding and there were days when we couldn't get in or out of the village by road very easily at all, and it was so windy I would have been worried that if we needed the air ambulance it wouldn't have been able to land safely due to conditions over the sea.

That, and power cuts, which we have a lot of. Although I've learned to cope with those!

LittleMissGerardButlerfan Sat 31-Aug-13 14:47:58

I don't know if my views would be helpful as I live in a town but have just got back from a rural holiday.

If anything I felt safer, especially security wise, I wasn't worried about the car being broken into or drunks walking past like they do here, or worried about sneak in burglaries. There was a door that led to a porch for shoes/wellies/coats etc that was left unlocked and then the front door was locked, but only locked it when we were out. Here we lock the doors even when we are in.

It was a different world and actually felt safer than being in a big town.

LittleMissGerardButlerfan Sat 31-Aug-13 14:49:15

Starfish that sounds like a lovely place to live. smile

revealall Sat 31-Aug-13 14:52:42

Not scared at all of walking home at night etc. there is no one around and it's quite often too cold,wet or dark to be off any interest to a nutter.

Since provisions have to be planned (or you go without) I'm not worried about running out of stuff like I did in the town.

Sometimes worry about wildlife squashed on the roads and the amount of litter but that's it.

Thanks LittleMiss, we are very lucky smile

AmberLeaf Sat 31-Aug-13 14:55:07

I've lived semi rurally and My Dad still lives there, I find being there much more 'scary' than where I live now in SE London. [where I am originally from incidently]

I didn't like the dark unlit roads and no one else being around.

I prefer the bustle of the city and knowing there are people near if I need them.

I feel most fearful of home invasion in the rural area, in that if it happened [unlikely but you never know] there wouldn't necessarily be many people around to help me and that the police if called would take a while to get here.

Also the issue of in an emergency ambulance/paramedics would also take some time to get to me/us.

I didn't live in fear or anything, but those were the things that niggled.

cuillereasoupe Sat 31-Aug-13 14:55:14

No fears about crime at all - there is simply none (rural Suffolk: 3 reports of anti-social behaviour in July according to police stats). Biggest fear would be getting to hospital in an emergency: a friend of my mum's had a heart attack and it took an hour and a half for the ambulance to arrive.

cuillereasoupe Sat 31-Aug-13 14:57:14

^^ BTW that's a rising crime rate of 300%, up from 1 in May and 0 in June grin

Jazzicatz Sat 31-Aug-13 14:58:39

I have written a chapter in a book all about rural crime, have a look at the work of criminologists that write about this. If you want the link to the book then PM me!

ProfYaffle Sat 31-Aug-13 15:03:57

I live reasonably rurally (on the edge of a small town but we're the biggest town for miles. Turn left out of my house and it's open countryside for about 50 miles) I feel very safe, am happy for my dc to go off by themselves etc. Sometimes if I'm walking a few miles from home I worry that if I fall over and hurt myself I'd have trouble raising help. Or if I'm walking on a dark footpath I worry about tripping up or stepping in dog shit. So injury worries rather than crime I think!

AthelstaneTheUnready Sat 31-Aug-13 15:06:00

I'm very rural; my fears aren't about crime, but about accidents. If I break an ankle, how will I drive anywhere... if I fall off the ladder how long will it take to crawl to the 'phone... that sort of thing.

redexpat Sat 31-Aug-13 15:21:30

I live in a forrin rural area. The babies all sleep out side in their prams during the day. We lock the doors at night, but will do a quick supermarket trip during the day without locking.

EauRouge Sat 31-Aug-13 21:21:40

Big cat sightings and adders are more worrying to me than crime; there's not much going on around here and that's just how I like it! The worst thing that's ever happened to me is walking into a dog shit bin on my way home from the pub because there was no lighting on the footpath and I'd forgotten my torch.

There have been a few drunken fights over the years I've lived here but everyone knows each other so it's usually sorted out quite quickly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now