This topic is specifically designed for media or other requests for information / help from Mumsnet members. We ask those organisations requesting help here to pay a fee of £30 per request as a contribution to the site (when you've typed in your request, you will automatically be taken to a WorldPay page where you can pay by credit card). Many thanks. NOTE: Mumsnet does not check the content of these requests nor verify any links posted here; we'd like to remind you that it's wise always to be cautious about disclosing any personal data.

New Children's Stories Website

(6 Posts)
MEDIA: fizzbean Sat 10-Aug-13 11:16:09

Hi all,

I have put together a new website - www.fizzbean.com - for reading stories to younger children (up to 9 years old). The site also lets you write your own stories. I have only added a few stories so far, but my intention is to build a large library of illustrated children's books that can be read to children using an iPad / tablet (although you can also use a desktop computer).

The site is in the very early stages, but I was hoping you might be able to provide some feedback so that I can shape it to make it as useful to you as possible. The main things I'd like to know are:

- Whether this would be something that would interest you (and why)?
- How could the website be changed to make it more attractive and useful to you?
- What sort of books would you like to see added?

So if you could please check out the site and let me know what you think that would be great!

Thanks!

Tom

fizzbean Sat 10-Aug-13 11:33:03

Here's the hyperlink for the website: www.fizzbean.com

MrsCr0w Tue 13-Aug-13 07:11:45

Hi Tom

I think it's a great idea - I had a look through last night and I think it's got greta potential. I'd like to see some more stories on there with some of the more current stuff if that's possible and I got a bit lost at one stage but it looks like I would definitely use it for my little one. I can't wait to try it on my ipad.

fizzbean Tue 13-Aug-13 15:36:54

Thanks Mrs Crow - I've added a button to the top right corner of the story reader to make it easier to find the navigation menu now, so hopefully you won't get lost any more!

Are there any specific styles / authors of current stories that you would like to see on there? I have only added stories where the copyright has expired (or nearly expired), so unfortunately these are all quite old. I'm hoping that people will be able to add their own original stories eventually, but in the meantime I may seek a professional writer / illustrator to write a couple of short stories.

LadyMaryQuiteContrary Tue 13-Aug-13 15:42:01

You'd have problems with copyright doing that, fizzbean. Any intellectual rights should belong to the author (or their estate if they are now dead) but they wouldn't be able to sell their story as most publishers don't want stories that have been published elsewhere. If you're planning on keeping the intellectual rights to anything published on your site yourself then you'd struggle to get any stories as writers don't give away their work freely.

fizzbean Tue 13-Aug-13 16:37:52

Thanks for the helpful advice Mary - I think I'll have to get some legal advice on this if it looks like the idea could be successful. I hadn't been intending on keeping the intellectual rights to the stories, but instead just using the website as a platform for sharing stories.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now