This topic is specifically designed for media or other requests for information / help from Mumsnet members. We ask those organisations requesting help here to pay a fee of £30 per request as a contribution to the site (when you've typed in your request, you will automatically be taken to a WorldPay page where you can pay by credit card). Many thanks. NOTE: Mumsnet does not check the content of these requests nor verify any links posted here; we'd like to remind you that it's wise always to be cautious about disclosing any personal data.

wanna be entrepreneur mum needs you help!!!

(16 Posts)
millabbie123 Tue 30-Jul-13 22:16:47

I am a mum of 4 working part time i really need a challenge plus 4 girls are not cheap i have started to think about setting up a business and really need normal peoples input to make sure i get it right if you could spare 2 minutes and answer 10 questions i would be eternally grateful.

www.surveymonkey.com/s/JPNJNX6

* any one who has set up a business please give me tips and advice*

thank you in advance :-)

CalamityGin Thu 05-Sep-13 19:22:01

would never pay up front not even to a third party

SuperiorCat Tue 03-Sep-13 16:11:51

Done

ModeratelyObvious Mon 02-Sep-13 00:23:04

Done.

There's a business start up section that may be helpful, OP.

MiniMonty Mon 02-Sep-13 00:08:48

When asking what was important for building work for £300 or £10,000 you missed out the option of "contract" from your survey. No way am I getting into any kind of building work without the contractor actually signing a contract. The contract IS the guarantee and it's the guarantee of price, timescale - everything. Of course a verbal agreement and a handshake is a contract (in law) but try getting your money back...

HolidayMummy Sun 11-Aug-13 08:52:08

Hi
Survey all filled in, I have to be honest though, I am not sure what you are trying to do in terms of a new business. Anyway, yes I have set up my business - 2 in fact, one a consulting firm which was very successful when I was still well & could go out to work, and 1 an online business (which I think you are trying to do). It is in a completely different field - holidays - but I could give you some sort of advice if you let me know what you need? My website is www.recommendedfamilyholidays.com and I set it up when I became too ill to go out to work. Starting a website has loads of pitfalls, not least the cost of setting it up & promoting it - there are a lot of people out there who are out to make a lot of money out of you if you don't know what you are doing! Secondly of course, it is setting up a limited company & all the associated legal side of things & accounting (I am lucky the business side comes naturally to me as that's what I used to do). I chose to learn how to set up the website myself so although I got some initial help in the first instance, the rest is all my own work - it means I don't have to spend anything to update the website - something I do all the time. But then, every so often there is something too technical for me to do so I contract that bit out using something like Elance - you write the proposal & independent contractors bid for the work - each contractor is rated by other users, so that helps, but there are still pitfalls as I recently discovered. I wanted to boost my Google position organically for a couple of my landing pages e.g. holidays in england. I went through all of the process carefully, chose the proposal based on what they could offer & other peoples feedback & they were still a disaster - cost me so much time sorting out the problems they caused. I am absolutely rubbish at sales & marketing so thought I was doing the right thing but turns out I could have really damaged my business. But there is "free" help out there - people who are willing to give up a bit of time to help out, its just finding them! Anyway, I have gone on & on... (sorry), but do let me know if there is anything specific I can help with - I have 2 young kids myself & know how hard setting up a new business can be!

sparker123 Sat 03-Aug-13 19:36:13

I've completed your survey, good luck with your venture

millabbie123 Fri 02-Aug-13 09:18:27

Just got the email telling me i put this in wrong section and there have been complaints please accept my apologies new to forums and did not realise

millabbie123 Thu 01-Aug-13 00:14:43

The feed back i am getting is really helping, thank you all so much its great to get feedback and is really focusing my mind hopefully something good will develop.

ruby1234 Wed 31-Jul-13 09:46:20

I wouldn't pay a third party either - what possible reason would there be to do that? That alone would put me off immediately.

Other no-no's are if I call someone asking for a quote and they don't turn up, I don't ask them again.

Word of mouth is generally the way I go with things like this.

VestandKnickers Wed 31-Jul-13 09:02:15

Done. I wouldn't want to pay anything to a third party. I'd feel I was paying extra for their input an would lose the direct negotiation with my contractor.

millabbie123 Wed 31-Jul-13 08:56:04

thanks, there is a lot of sites that get reviews of tradespeople but you can not beat a referral from someone you know. i've had one or two bad experiences but it was nothing major just difficult getting quotes them not turning up but since researching i have heard stories about trades people devastating peoples lives

pudtat Wed 31-Jul-13 07:55:19

My preferred builder generally won't give quotes detailed to the nth degree. He will cost each aspect and give an indication of likely total cost, however as old houses always throw up googlies he hates making out he knows exactly will be required until he's in there. Having said that he has only once cost me considerably more than I was expecting (when a total nightmare of an additional problem arose!)

Round here (rural) its all done on recommendation and while I might get a couple of quotes getting three doesnt always seem so relevant as it might using unknown contractors out of yellow pages.

Just thought, did have a bad experience from a firm quoting under an insurance claim sent by insurance co. I refused to let them in my house again and used a firm I chose. In looking at replacing a ceiling they were the only firm of the opinion that the walls wouldn't need redecorating. When I asked how they were going to achieve this, they said they wouldn't plaster up to the wall. I asked how this wouldn't leave a gap confused and was told 'it will love, that's what coving is for'. Pointing out that I didn't have coving and didn't want it had no effect. angry

Done. Paying up front, even to a third par, would not inspire confidence in me and could prove very costly to you if scammed

millabbie123 Wed 31-Jul-13 07:28:33

thanks a lot the survey is indicating that so it would be a aspect i would drop. I'm trying to make sure i am fair to both consumer and trades person but can see why it would'nt work from the consumers point of view.

I come up with ideas and friends and family just say thats a good idea don't even think they are listening to me grin so independent input is great

Blondie1984 Tue 30-Jul-13 22:35:40

Just completed your survey - I think I understand what you are thinking - but, personally speaking, I've never paid out in full until a job is complete - I pay in installments -e.g. Half up front and half on completion so not sure it would be applicable

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now