This topic is specifically designed for media or other requests for information / help from Mumsnet members. We ask those organisations requesting help here to pay a fee of £30 per request as a contribution to the site (when you've typed in your request, you will automatically be taken to a WorldPay page where you can pay by credit card). Many thanks. NOTE: Mumsnet does not check the content of these requests nor verify any links posted here; we'd like to remind you that it's wise always to be cautious about disclosing any personal data.

Mail On Sunday writer looking to interview other Lindo Wing mothers who gave birth in July 2013

(165 Posts)
MEDIA: amyoliver1234 Tue 23-Jul-13 17:29:46

Hi,

I'm looking to interview and photograph new mothers who gave birth at the Lindo Wing in St Mary's Hospital, London, this week or earlier this month. The piece will be included in our commemorative Royal baby edition this weekend so it'll be a nice keepsake! I'd need to have a quick chat with you over the phone and we can send a photographer to you. Your newborn will also need to be pictured.

It would be great to hear from interested mothers ASAP, but latest by Friday 9am. Please email me on amy.oliver@mailonsunday.co.uk or phone on 020 3615 1819.

Many Thanks

Amy Oliver
Feature Writer
Mail On Sunday

Talkinpeace Wed 24-Jul-13 14:06:37

TBH if the request had been from ANY newspaper, my opening reply would have been exactly the same,
as would have been the effort I made to make the most number of posters aware of the request.

It is the request that is grossly offensive and intrusive, not the requester.

As somebody who gets written up in papers every now and then - and a local rag front page hatchet job of me was a corker - I would never in a million miles participate in such a thing as it would be twisted with no right of reply.

JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 24-Jul-13 16:27:36

Sparklingbrook

So only if we click a link while on MN then? Not just looking at the DM website?

It's about where users go immediately before and after Mumsnet - google tracks it too. We can see list of most popular sites visited pre and post Mumsnet on Google analytics. When I get a mo, I'll post up the results...

Turniphead1 Wed 24-Jul-13 16:35:04

As an aside, there was a relatively sweet piece my Bel Mooney in today's online DM about grand parenthood.

Made me broody to be a grandmother (my eldest is 9 ffs). Of course I was the only MNer to be reading DM royal baby stuff today.

RedPencils Wed 24-Jul-13 16:44:49

Sparkling - they can't track you as a particular person and where you go, but it shows a general pattern.
Ie when users leave MN (ie click a link) x number go to DM site, x number go to hotmail, 1 goes to www.photosofrobloweandjohntaylor.com etc

Similarly you can also see how people arrive at MN ie x number types the www into the search bar, x number searched in google etc.

I manage a teeny website and love the stats. I'd be in spreadsheet heaven with the amount of traffic MN gets.

Sparklingbrook Wed 24-Jul-13 18:58:50

Oooh. They will see I have been looking at all sorts of riveting things straight after MN. This week it has been tacky solar lights and where felix cat food is on offer. grin

Shit I look at all kinds of crap that MN encourages - solar powered frogs, back hamsters, sootikins.

Talkinpeace Wed 24-Jul-13 22:13:25

Using DHs website stats, I can see the page that every web visitor comes from
AND the page that they go to after, as well as where they are, what browser they use and their IP address
I do not pay for deeper analytics (tight me)
but every website can see that bit ...

BUT
my problem was not with the DM, it was with the nature of the request

scottishmummy Wed 24-Jul-13 22:25:38

Most websites use cookies,and will analyse their traffic
I'm nonplussed by this, data has a value to websites
Amazon,m&s,most sites analyse data

Sparklingbrook Wed 24-Jul-13 23:05:47

I have a Don't track Me thingy. No idea if it works though. Just don't get as many adverts and they don't follow me about.

scottishmummy Wed 24-Jul-13 23:09:15

It's like store cards like boots,nectar they all track data and patterns
They've got your address,our demographic,send pattern
I'm completely nonplussed about it

Sparklingbrook Wed 24-Jul-13 23:21:00

That's true sm. I have a very boring search history actually, and spending pattern in supermarkets.

Crumbledwalnuts Thu 25-Jul-13 09:07:46

Am not in the least bit surprised about the Daily Mail. The Daily Mail is mumsnet like Brighton through a stick of rock, except for the left-wingness and the women-objectifying. But I didn't know that a website could track pages without linked access. I thought it had to be a link ie you get to the DM through mumsnet for the connection to be made. How interesting. I know the anonymity is a bit of a sop anyway, but it's the reason I wouldn't sign any petitions or give money to charities through a mumsnet link.

JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 25-Jul-13 14:51:59

We only get aggregate not individual data from third parties and currently don't store or track any aggregated data of what folks do while they're on MN as collecting and storing all that would break our feeble servers. Were we ever to collect data at any time in the future, it would only be for the purpose of honing/ improving the site by for example putting links to pages where people commonly choose to go next. We would never collect data to sell etc as per our privacy policy.

Sparklingbrook Thu 25-Jul-13 15:04:24

Probably best not to track any links on a 'What not to Google' thread Justine. grin

Crumbledwalnuts Thu 25-Jul-13 17:22:10

Lol mumsnet isn't doing it but someone issmile be afraid

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now