This topic is specifically designed for media or other requests for information / help from Mumsnet members. We ask those organisations requesting help here to pay a fee of £30 per request as a contribution to the site (when you've typed in your request, you will automatically be taken to a WorldPay page where you can pay by credit card). Many thanks. NOTE: Mumsnet does not check the content of these requests nor verify any links posted here; we'd like to remind you that it's wise always to be cautious about disclosing any personal data.

Courses for mums returning to work - feedback requested!

(6 Posts)
MEDIA: Miranda Lewis Fri 21-Jun-13 14:42:01

Hello

I'm a coach working with women going through career changes, and returning to work after maternity leave. I'm thinking of putting on courses for women going back to work, and would love to get feedback (I'm a MN regular but using my RL name for this) - from chatting to my mum friends and to people at the Workfest there seems to be an appetite, but would love more views.

I'm thinking of two different courses, one for women going back after up to a year's maternity leave, and one for women who've had much longer off with their children. Topics covered might include:

For the first group:
- Negotiating the hours you want
- Working out childcare
- Confidence at work
- Getting some time for you
- How to work out home life/ balance of domestic duties

For the second group
- CV writing/ applying for jobs (with input from a head hunter)
- Networking for jobs
- Help working out what kind of jobs/ fields to go for
- Confidence

I'm also thinking of getting an image consultant along.

I'm thinking of doing it in the evenings, 4-5 sessions over a few weeks. Each session would be around 2 hours. Probably no more than 8 in a group.

Would this be of interest if you are in either of the two relevant groups? If so, what else would you like to see covered?
Critically, what might you be willing to pay? I'm in London, and would hold the courses locally to me. I'm thinking between £100- £150...

I'd love any views, many thanks in advance for your time

Miranda

orangeshortbread Fri 21-Jun-13 15:19:13

It sounds like a good idea as going back to work after maternity leave is very hard. I like the idea of the sessions about negotiating hours (although for some women this is done quite in advance of going back so they would have to do the course sooner rather than later) and the work/home balance one.

I don't think I'd come to an evening course as time with DH is so precious at the moment. Could you think about doing it in the day time and providing a creche? Then it might feel more of a social thing too for mums which is important. Also, I definitely wouldn't pay £100 for it, although then again I'm not in London and may London MNers can comment on that.

Hope that feedback helps - and good for you for starting your own venture!

orangeshortbread Fri 21-Jun-13 15:20:14

Ooh that reminds me - lots of mums take the opportunity of maternity leave to think about starting their own business but don't know how to go about it so perhaps that is something you could cover in the second one?

fanjobiscuits Fri 21-Jun-13 15:27:18

You might get more financial traction by selling this to organic to offer as an employee benefit

fanjobiscuits Fri 21-Jun-13 15:27:38

Organic should read organisations there!

Mirandacoach Mon 24-Jun-13 10:27:39

It's the OP - thank you both so much for taking the time to feed back. I really like the idea of a creche, and it literally hadn't occurred to me. Likewise going directly to organisations is a great idea, again hadn't thought of it! So thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now