This topic is specifically designed for media or other requests for information / help from Mumsnet members. We ask those organisations requesting help here to pay a fee of £30 per request as a contribution to the site (when you've typed in your request, you will automatically be taken to a WorldPay page where you can pay by credit card). Many thanks. NOTE: Mumsnet does not check the content of these requests nor verify any links posted here; we'd like to remind you that it's wise always to be cautious about disclosing any personal data.

What did your partner do since the birth?

(11 Posts)
MEDIA: Rob Kemp Mon 10-Jun-13 11:01:44

What's the Best and Worst thing your husband/boyfriend/partner has done since your baby was born? Please tell me in a sentence or two. This is for a list of Do's and Don'ts aimed at new fathers in a dad's book. Thanks for your time. Rob

RedlipsAndSlippers Tue 25-Jun-13 21:38:19

Best : Completely waited on me hand and foot, even slept in the other room with DD when she was tiny with expressed milk on hand so I could have a full nights sleep at least once a week, even though he worked full time smile
Worst : Trip to London to stay at his mums when DD was only a couple of weeks old and I was still exhausted, sore and struggling to breast feed. I cried in the night and he told me I should have just said no, when during planning it clearly wasn't an option sad

CityGal29 Thu 13-Jun-13 23:03:25

Best - always supporting me with breastfeeding, reading the benefits, boosting confidence, speaking to friends wives and passing on info. Beth proud of me. Did 2yr and 1yr (they stopped then).

Worst - nothing he was amazing . Does loads of housework supports my career, is an egalitarian selfless man. Btw we're both elder of 3 so both quite sensible anywy!

Triumphoveradversity Thu 13-Jun-13 22:23:54

Best put up with my relatives visiting and cooked and looked after them all
Worst exclaimed what a quiet night afer I had bf baby three times in the night

plannedshock Thu 13-Jun-13 22:20:23

Best: bought me amazing food to the hospital, did everything after I came home (c-section) really supported me with breastfeeding and not wanting visitors
Worst:after going overnight fishing when baby was 3wks old going straight to bed because "I had no idea how tired he was!!!"

Littleturkish Thu 13-Jun-13 22:05:33

Best: amazing cheer leader all through breast feeding and supported me no matter what I chose to do.

Worst: struggled to understand why I wanted quiet time at home, not a night out getting drunk.

pizzaqueen Thu 13-Jun-13 22:02:33

He cleaned the house from top to bottom and did all the laundry whilst me and DS were in hospital so I had nothing but DS to think about when we got home.

Worst: not sure really, he was pretty amazing in those early days! But when I was tired/stressed he would whisk DS off to his mums to 'give me a break' the thought was there but it wasn't really the answer.

EleanorFarjeon Thu 13-Jun-13 21:51:14

Worst - I'd gone to hospital with no time to spare so had no bag, clothes or crucially, underwear. After my speedy birth, I asked him to bring me some underwear.

He turned up having rooted through my drawers (!) with the most diaphanous, tiny, delicate scraps of lace he could find. Both bra and knickers. Last worn on my honeymoon, I think.

Best - everything. Fed me with everything I loved, waited on me hand and foot, made sure I had absolutely nothing to do but breast feed and sleep. And he bought me very nice jewellery!

Best - he co slept with ds through choice many times without needing nagged/encouraged quite the opposite also cuddled ds topless frequently after me telling him about skin to skin helping bonding - the boy is 19 months and an utter daddys boy smile

Worst - probably the move to england when ds was 16 days old and having to put up with my ILs moaning and sniping regularly.

SweepTheHalls Thu 13-Jun-13 21:15:40

Best: spent the first night on a different room with our son asleep on his chest, just bringing him in for feeds so I could catch up on a little sleep and recover from the birth .
Worst: Let his boss bully him into returning to work after just 5 days of paternity leave with our second child. 2 days later our eldest got chickenpox. That was tough.

AndHarry Mon 10-Jun-13 20:26:15

Best thing: When DD was a newborn DH changed her nappy after I'd fed her so that I didn't have to get out of bed at night.

Worst thing: Inviting friends and family to the hospital to meet the baby when I was recovering from the birth, was trying to establish breastfeeding and definitely wasn't up for visitors.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now