This topic is specifically designed for media or other requests for information / help from Mumsnet members. We ask those organisations requesting help here to pay a fee of £30 per request as a contribution to the site (when you've typed in your request, you will automatically be taken to a WorldPay page where you can pay by credit card). Many thanks. NOTE: Mumsnet does not check the content of these requests nor verify any links posted here; we'd like to remind you that it's wise always to be cautious about disclosing any personal data.

Teacher well-being

(60 Posts)
businessbunny Fri 07-Jun-13 17:37:45

Hi all,

I am a graduate student in the department of Organisational Psychology at Manchester Business School. I am very interested in workplace stress and well-being, particularly in the teaching profession and believe that more work needs to be done to tackle the issues facing teachers.

I would like to invite you to participate in a research study on ‘Teacher Stress and Well-being’. You may participate if you are a qualified teacher who is currently working in a school and over 18 years of age.

The aim of the study is to improve current understanding of stress in the teaching profession, and how teachers’ personal values may affect their well-being. The information gathered will contribute to the development of a new intervention to enhance teacher well-being.

As a participant, you will be asked to complete a short online survey, once each week for a period of three weeks. The study is due to commence on June 17th 2013, and will be completed by July 1st 2013. The surveys are anonymous and all responses are treated in confidence. In order to access the surveys you will be emailed a web-link at the beginning of each week. The surveys take approximately 15 minutes to complete and can be completed at a time convenient to you. However we ask that you aim to complete the surveys whilst at work, during a time when you will not be interrupted.

As compensation for completing the study, all participants will be entered into a prize draw with a chance to win one of five £20 Amazon vouchers. In addition, all participants will receive feedback shall on the results of the study. Please note that you will only be eligible for the prize draw if you complete all three online surveys.

If you would like to participate in this research study, please contact me at Lora.Burkhill@postgrad.mbs.ac.uk. If you have questions about this research, please do not hesitate to contact either myself or my supervisor Dr Karen Niven, at Karen.Niven@mbs.ac.uk.

Thank you for your consideration,
Lora Burkhill
Organisational Psychology MSc Student

businessbunny Sun 23-Jun-13 17:17:02

Thank you everyone who has participated in stage 1 of the research and completed the first survey, I really appreciate it.

Just to let you know that I am running a second intake of the study, so if anyone missed the boat and now wants to participate they have a chance to next week. If interested please register at http://mbsassess.co.uk and I will email the first survey tomorrow.

Best wishes,
Lora

businessbunny Tue 11-Jun-13 16:43:16

grin Thank you

Pozzled Tue 11-Jun-13 16:19:41

I will also take part.

businessbunny Tue 11-Jun-13 16:11:42

Thanks for the advice Eliot, I think you should be able to reflect this in your responses to the survey but it is something for me to bear in mind.

EliotNess Tue 11-Jun-13 16:03:09

Agree with sassy. Im teaching little atm but admin ing loads

EliotNess Tue 11-Jun-13 16:02:18

I'm in

businessbunny Tue 11-Jun-13 15:47:24

Hello everyone!! Thank you for the extra interest!

I have put together a very simple contact form and would appreciate it if you could register your interest there:

http://www.mbsassess.co.uk

(You may have to copy and paste the link- sorry!!)

Once you register the first survey will be sent out on Monday June 17th (next Monday).

All help is welcomed, thank you

BeQuicksieorBeDead Tue 11-Jun-13 07:09:44

I will take part if you still need teachers.

Feenie Tue 11-Jun-13 06:59:37

I'll do it, you can pm me if you like.

Littlefish Tue 11-Jun-13 06:41:27

I agree with Sassy. Secondary teachers may have lost groups, but both primary qnd secondary teachers are generally in the middle of report writing/transition hell!

I'm a nursery teacher and have 44 reports to write, 62 profiles to update, an external moderation, an external audit, several external agency meetings, school tracking meetings, sports days, transition meetings etc. on top of normal teaching, all in the next 3 weeks.

If I can do it at home, I would be interested.

UnderwaterBasketWeaving Tue 11-Jun-13 06:35:53

I'll make time. Send me the details.

icepole Tue 11-Jun-13 06:34:34

I am in Scotland, does that matter? Also I have just handed in my resignation partly due to stress!

No way I can get a free fifteen minutes at school though! Bloody hell, do people actually get that? I'm lucky if I have time to pee.

karatekimmi Tue 11-Jun-13 06:29:59

If you pm me, I'll take part smile

changeforthebetter Tue 11-Jun-13 06:26:51

have pm 'd you smile

LifeAbove Tue 11-Jun-13 05:47:10

I'll take part businessbunny.

MiceElfAgin Tue 11-Jun-13 05:42:00

I'm in but as a reception teacher it's a very busy time getting profile results finalised and writing reports on top of everything else! But as was said earlier, by being involved we are hopefully doing something about the stresses

Jaynebxl Tue 11-Jun-13 05:39:17

I'm a teacher but only part time plus I'm peripatetic so I work in different schools rather than just one. Any good?

Willsmum79 Tue 11-Jun-13 05:26:00

PM me too! Think my responses might be of interest!

businessbunny Mon 10-Jun-13 10:58:33

sassytheFIRST, you raise a very good point indeed, and definitely one for my discussion. I am able to account for this in the study I believe. Thank you for showing interest, I have PM'ed you!

businessbunny Mon 10-Jun-13 10:55:24

Hi everyone,

I am so pleased to see such support on here!!! Good ol' Mumsnet, I knew I could rely on you! grin I am now at about 1/4 the number of participants I need, you have all given the study a fantastic start thank you.

GW297, will you be in completely different schools in the second week compared to the first do you think? (or a mix of the same few schools in both weeks?)

TwllBach, doing the survey out of school hours should be fine, no problem.

EverybodysGoneSurfing, thank you very much I appreciate this sample is a very busy one, so if you could find the time that would be excellent

KatyDid02, thank you for showing your support, I will PM you a couple of queries

KatyDid02 Mon 10-Jun-13 07:21:00

I'll do it businessbunny - pm me.

sassytheFIRST Mon 10-Jun-13 07:12:43

I'm happy to participate; however, the time of year you are researching will skew the results. I'm now teaching about one third of my normal timetable - this is because I'm in secondary and have a v high gcse and a level workload - all these groups have left. Something to be aware of?

EverybodysGoneSurfing Mon 10-Jun-13 07:07:27

I will do it. Finding 15 minutes won't be easy but I will try!

TwllBach Mon 10-Jun-13 07:03:28

Hi, I would be happy to participate too, as long as it can be done out of school hours as a) I wouldn't have the spare time, as others have mentione and b) I don't have access to a laptop often which adds to my stress

GW297 Mon 10-Jun-13 06:59:54

Yes I will be teaching but likely 2-3 days per week in several different schools...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now