This topic is specifically designed for media or other requests for information / help from Mumsnet members. We ask those organisations requesting help here to pay a fee of £30 per request as a contribution to the site (when you've typed in your request, you will automatically be taken to a WorldPay page where you can pay by credit card). Many thanks. NOTE: Mumsnet does not check the content of these requests nor verify any links posted here; we'd like to remind you that it's wise always to be cautious about disclosing any personal data.

Teacher well-being

(60 Posts)
businessbunny Fri 07-Jun-13 17:37:45

Hi all,

I am a graduate student in the department of Organisational Psychology at Manchester Business School. I am very interested in workplace stress and well-being, particularly in the teaching profession and believe that more work needs to be done to tackle the issues facing teachers.

I would like to invite you to participate in a research study on ‘Teacher Stress and Well-being’. You may participate if you are a qualified teacher who is currently working in a school and over 18 years of age.

The aim of the study is to improve current understanding of stress in the teaching profession, and how teachers’ personal values may affect their well-being. The information gathered will contribute to the development of a new intervention to enhance teacher well-being.

As a participant, you will be asked to complete a short online survey, once each week for a period of three weeks. The study is due to commence on June 17th 2013, and will be completed by July 1st 2013. The surveys are anonymous and all responses are treated in confidence. In order to access the surveys you will be emailed a web-link at the beginning of each week. The surveys take approximately 15 minutes to complete and can be completed at a time convenient to you. However we ask that you aim to complete the surveys whilst at work, during a time when you will not be interrupted.

As compensation for completing the study, all participants will be entered into a prize draw with a chance to win one of five £20 Amazon vouchers. In addition, all participants will receive feedback shall on the results of the study. Please note that you will only be eligible for the prize draw if you complete all three online surveys.

If you would like to participate in this research study, please contact me at Lora.Burkhill@postgrad.mbs.ac.uk. If you have questions about this research, please do not hesitate to contact either myself or my supervisor Dr Karen Niven, at Karen.Niven@mbs.ac.uk.

Thank you for your consideration,
Lora Burkhill
Organisational Psychology MSc Student

AViewFromTheFridge Sun 09-Jun-13 23:26:13

I'll do it.

MrsShrek3 Sun 09-Jun-13 23:45:22

why do you ask for it to be done at school? (nosey)
I couldn't get 15 seconds minutes undisturbed or I would do it. Another EP-to-be here so am interested in your perspective.

businessbunny Sun 09-Jun-13 23:50:21

Hi babiesAreLikeBuses (are you a mum of twins by any chance?! 2 come along at once..) Yes you may participate, I shall PM you with a couple of questions THANK YOU for your support

businessbunny Sun 09-Jun-13 23:51:08

Thank you so much AViewFromTheFridge (fab name!!!) I will PM you shortly also smile

businessbunny Sun 09-Jun-13 23:54:33

MrsShrek3, The reason why it was recommended to me for the surveys to be completed at school was a simple of of context- the questions are all going to be work related, and so it is better if the respondent is in that environment whilst answering the questions. That way the content of the survey and the environment are congruent. However, I am aware now that this may be a problem for some people and so I shall have to seek advise on that front tomorrow.. I will update here

GW297 Mon 10-Jun-13 00:00:54

I'm a supply teacher but have worked full time in the past. Does that count? Happy to participate if so.

MrsShrek3 Mon 10-Jun-13 00:10:11

good logic - but a bit impractical in reality. Teaching is perhaps a bit unique in that contact (teaching) time accounts for only half of the job, and if you're in school and not actually teaching then there is no shortage of people who need/want to discuss something, along with a backlog of jobs you can't possibly fit in wink the answer as we all know, is just take it all home where you might get some peace grin ....hence you may argue that as most of us work at home as a matter of course, it makes no difference!

schooldidi Mon 10-Jun-13 00:19:51

I'm in. I'll be able to do it at lunch now year 11 have done their exams. They are usually the people taking up my time, so now they've gone I'm a little less busy.

businessbunny Mon 10-Jun-13 00:35:32

Lol MrsShrek, good point I have a couple of secondary school teacher friends and they do seem to do as much work at home as they do at the school sad Would you be interested in participating if you could fill out the survey at home?

GW297, re supply teaching, could you explain how that looks for you at the moment? I apologise I am not as clued up on this, would you know for example whether you are due to be working from June17th-July 1st? Unfortunately all participants would need to be teaching for the duration of the study. If this is you, great!

Schooldidi, That sounds ideal, glad you have a moment to yourself at last! I will PM you with a few questions smile Thank you all

MrsShrek3 Mon 10-Jun-13 06:47:08

yes happy to Bb smile

GW297 Mon 10-Jun-13 06:59:54

Yes I will be teaching but likely 2-3 days per week in several different schools...

TwllBach Mon 10-Jun-13 07:03:28

Hi, I would be happy to participate too, as long as it can be done out of school hours as a) I wouldn't have the spare time, as others have mentione and b) I don't have access to a laptop often which adds to my stress

EverybodysGoneSurfing Mon 10-Jun-13 07:07:27

I will do it. Finding 15 minutes won't be easy but I will try!

sassytheFIRST Mon 10-Jun-13 07:12:43

I'm happy to participate; however, the time of year you are researching will skew the results. I'm now teaching about one third of my normal timetable - this is because I'm in secondary and have a v high gcse and a level workload - all these groups have left. Something to be aware of?

KatyDid02 Mon 10-Jun-13 07:21:00

I'll do it businessbunny - pm me.

businessbunny Mon 10-Jun-13 10:55:24

Hi everyone,

I am so pleased to see such support on here!!! Good ol' Mumsnet, I knew I could rely on you! grin I am now at about 1/4 the number of participants I need, you have all given the study a fantastic start thank you.

GW297, will you be in completely different schools in the second week compared to the first do you think? (or a mix of the same few schools in both weeks?)

TwllBach, doing the survey out of school hours should be fine, no problem.

EverybodysGoneSurfing, thank you very much I appreciate this sample is a very busy one, so if you could find the time that would be excellent

KatyDid02, thank you for showing your support, I will PM you a couple of queries

businessbunny Mon 10-Jun-13 10:58:33

sassytheFIRST, you raise a very good point indeed, and definitely one for my discussion. I am able to account for this in the study I believe. Thank you for showing interest, I have PM'ed you!

Willsmum79 Tue 11-Jun-13 05:26:00

PM me too! Think my responses might be of interest!

Jaynebxl Tue 11-Jun-13 05:39:17

I'm a teacher but only part time plus I'm peripatetic so I work in different schools rather than just one. Any good?

MiceElfAgin Tue 11-Jun-13 05:42:00

I'm in but as a reception teacher it's a very busy time getting profile results finalised and writing reports on top of everything else! But as was said earlier, by being involved we are hopefully doing something about the stresses

LifeAbove Tue 11-Jun-13 05:47:10

I'll take part businessbunny.

changeforthebetter Tue 11-Jun-13 06:26:51

have pm 'd you smile

karatekimmi Tue 11-Jun-13 06:29:59

If you pm me, I'll take part smile

icepole Tue 11-Jun-13 06:34:34

I am in Scotland, does that matter? Also I have just handed in my resignation partly due to stress!

No way I can get a free fifteen minutes at school though! Bloody hell, do people actually get that? I'm lucky if I have time to pee.

UnderwaterBasketWeaving Tue 11-Jun-13 06:35:53

I'll make time. Send me the details.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now