This topic is specifically designed for media or other requests for information / help from Mumsnet members. We ask those organisations requesting help here to pay a fee of £30 per request as a contribution to the site (when you've typed in your request, you will automatically be taken to a WorldPay page where you can pay by credit card). Many thanks. NOTE: Mumsnet does not check the content of these requests nor verify any links posted here; we'd like to remind you that it's wise always to be cautious about disclosing any personal data.

Teacher well-being

(60 Posts)
businessbunny Fri 07-Jun-13 17:37:45

Hi all,

I am a graduate student in the department of Organisational Psychology at Manchester Business School. I am very interested in workplace stress and well-being, particularly in the teaching profession and believe that more work needs to be done to tackle the issues facing teachers.

I would like to invite you to participate in a research study on ‘Teacher Stress and Well-being’. You may participate if you are a qualified teacher who is currently working in a school and over 18 years of age.

The aim of the study is to improve current understanding of stress in the teaching profession, and how teachers’ personal values may affect their well-being. The information gathered will contribute to the development of a new intervention to enhance teacher well-being.

As a participant, you will be asked to complete a short online survey, once each week for a period of three weeks. The study is due to commence on June 17th 2013, and will be completed by July 1st 2013. The surveys are anonymous and all responses are treated in confidence. In order to access the surveys you will be emailed a web-link at the beginning of each week. The surveys take approximately 15 minutes to complete and can be completed at a time convenient to you. However we ask that you aim to complete the surveys whilst at work, during a time when you will not be interrupted.

As compensation for completing the study, all participants will be entered into a prize draw with a chance to win one of five £20 Amazon vouchers. In addition, all participants will receive feedback shall on the results of the study. Please note that you will only be eligible for the prize draw if you complete all three online surveys.

If you would like to participate in this research study, please contact me at Lora.Burkhill@postgrad.mbs.ac.uk. If you have questions about this research, please do not hesitate to contact either myself or my supervisor Dr Karen Niven, at Karen.Niven@mbs.ac.uk.

Thank you for your consideration,
Lora Burkhill
Organisational Psychology MSc Student

Royalmailer Fri 07-Jun-13 17:48:47

I think you have to pay to post a message like that...

theodorakisses Fri 07-Jun-13 17:52:41

How refreshing that someone actually admits they are doing research rather than trolling. My husband is a headmaster but we are in Qatar so probably not eligible but please post back with your findings and good luck

BackforGood Fri 07-Jun-13 18:01:18

I'm no longer working in a school, so don't qualify, but - have you also tried the TES website ?

SuffolkNWhat Fri 07-Jun-13 18:02:26

I'd be interested in completing this survey.

businessbunny Fri 07-Jun-13 18:11:07

BackforGood, I have posted on the TES website thank-you. Did you find it to be particularly helpful when you were teaching? It looks like a very good resource, I am also hoping that it is well populated

SuffolkNWhat, Thank you very much for your interest, I will PM you with more details. I feel this is very important research and it also has the possibility to be fairly groundbreaking as it is very novel.

I will share the results since I think that is one of the most important parts of research! smile

businessbunny Sun 09-Jun-13 14:05:58

Hello,

I am still needing to recruit a large number of teachers (60 plus) for my study, if you could please spare time to complete the surveys or pass this message on to other teacher friends I would be very grateful indeed.

Many thanks
Lora

I'll complete it!

cece Sun 09-Jun-13 14:12:32

I'm part time - does that count?

ninah Sun 09-Jun-13 14:14:39

too stressed

TwasBrillig Sun 09-Jun-13 14:22:34

I'm not sure I actually had 15minutes undisturbed at work when I was teaching! Although obviously also worked at home so could have completed it then.

Honestly though its an important consideration - the nature of the job is such that there are always children or meetings or staff to speak to1 15 minutes undisturbed just would not have been possible!

businessbunny Sun 09-Jun-13 14:49:14

Hello all! smile

PotteringAlong, fantastic thank you, I shall PM you with a couple of questions and also to take down your preferred email address where the survey link shall be emailed to.

Cece, yes I can take PT teachers also, I will PM you also.

TwasBrillig, thank you, this is very important to think about I agree. I think the standard 'call out' for participants for surveys is that they aim to complete them undisturbed since interruptions may influence the way they respond to the questions/make people mis-read or mis-understand questions etc. Perhaps I am being naive, but I had hoped that either before the school day starts, at lunch time or possibly at the end of the work day may suit people.

It is ironic that several teachers have said that they are too stressed to participate in research on teacher stress!! I need you all sad

businessbunny Sun 09-Jun-13 14:50:00

Sorry Ninah- I didnt mean to ignore you there I didn't see your comment!!

ReluctantBeing Sun 09-Jun-13 14:52:04

I'll take part.

businessbunny Sun 09-Jun-13 14:58:01

Fantastic!! Thank you so much Reluctant (and thanks for not living up to your nickname!) smile I shall PM you

TwasBrillig Sun 09-Jun-13 14:59:56

I used to arrive about 7.45 and would be photocopying, checking emails, checking pigeon hole etc. Odd jobs that need doing to get ready for the days teaching. Staff briefing at 8.15 ready for registration at 8.30. Lunch hour was 45 minutes, usually half of this was spent helping students, actually eating lunch was done communally (normal teachers didn't have any offices, just a shared staff room and shared work area). After school finished I'd clear away desks, books etc, physical activities, collect photocopying and then meet with staff -there was coffee provided and this was the point to actually catch colleagues to talk about students progress or work related issues as you just don't see colleagues during the day, or staff meetings etc.

At this point it would then have been possible to sit after work at a computer for 15 mins but not guaranteed quiet, many staff went home in order to do all the sitting down at a computer type work at home. I certainly mainly worked from home in this respect.

It may be different in other schools. I think it'd subject is a good one. However this very issue, a lack of an undisturbed 15minutes during the working day, is one of the very reasons I found it quite stressful. It may be worth allowing people to complete it while working at home. Or it may be that other people's experience is different to mine. I miss teaching and would quite like to go back in one sense but its the stress levels that are putting me off and making me wonder about something different. a

BackforGood Sun 09-Jun-13 15:06:59

I've advertised this thread over in 'Education' for you - there are some teachers on the boards I only ever see over there.

I have to agree with TwasBrillig though - when I was teaching in schools, I would never have had 15mins uninterrupted to spend on a survey - I'd missed that in reading the OP. I would only have been able to fill it in for you at home in an evening, or at the weekend.
This However we ask that you aim to complete the surveys whilst at work, during a time when you will not be interrupted. I think will rule out all Primary Teachers - can't speak for secondary.

businessbunny Sun 09-Jun-13 15:14:01

mmm that was a very interesting read TwasBrillig, and it certainly sounds like you were under a lot of pressure time and workload wise. Teaching is one of the highest ranking professions for stress, for all the reasons you just outlined and more besides I would imagine. I feel it has also changed a lot over the years.

I will raise your points with my supervisor, as yes perhaps completing from home could be an option especially if you think this is stopping people from participating. However, I know that with Psychological research it is important to not introduce any 'confounding variables' which would adversely influence the results. E.g. The participant who scores very high on stress symptoms vs a participant who scores very low... The way they answered the questions may be due to the fact they were at home (and presumably in a peaceful environment) rather than work iykwim?

I hope that you find something that is suitable for you and allows you to do what you love. Perhaps a teaching job of a different angle would suit/be worth considering- I read someone had set up a tuition centre after leaving teaching which I thought was amazing. It is such a shame that so many great teachers end up leaving the profession due to the conditions and it really needs to be taken seriously

businessbunny Sun 09-Jun-13 15:15:06

Thank you BackforGood- thats a great idea.

Perhaps I shall take that line out...!

TwasBrillig Sun 09-Jun-13 15:35:27

Yup its tricky. I was answering from a secondary respective, and answering at home night well be a confounding variable. However those that are able to escape students or staff for 15 minutes in the day will also be non representative of normal teachers (especially the stressed ones!)

I suspect I will go part time. I did funnily enough look into retraining as psychologist!

partystress Sun 09-Jun-13 15:38:45

Happy to take part. Can probably find 15 minutes at lunchtime because it is the 'quiet' part of the year for me, but agree with others that that wouldn't usually be possible!

businessbunny Sun 09-Jun-13 15:39:10

You would be ideally placed to train as an Educational Psychologist as you need to also have teaching experience to be an Ed Psy. I considered it many years ago until I realised it would be a 6 year route (not sure how long it would take you)

millyrainbow Sun 09-Jun-13 22:50:38

Count me in too, be good for me to do something about the stress,rather than just complaining about it!

businessbunny Sun 09-Jun-13 22:59:32

Hi millyrainbow, thats a good proactive attitude! Thank you smile

BabiesAreLikeBuses Sun 09-Jun-13 23:16:41

I am part time, could participate?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now