This topic is specifically designed for media or other requests for information / help from Mumsnet members. We ask those organisations requesting help here to pay a fee of £30 per request as a contribution to the site (when you've typed in your request, you will automatically be taken to a WorldPay page where you can pay by credit card). Many thanks. NOTE: Mumsnet does not check the content of these requests nor verify any links posted here; we'd like to remind you that it's wise always to be cautious about disclosing any personal data.

Packed lunch delivery...any thoughts?

(36 Posts)
skittles1 Tue 28-May-13 13:25:42

Hello there!

I'm writing to find out if anyone wold be interested in getting their children's packed lunches delivered to their door? This would work a bit like a 'graze' snack box. These boxes would be able to fit through your letter box, and would contain a sandwich (using some really good bread!) a fruit pack and a juice or healthy drink. You can select how many days you would like it delivered online and the fillings you would like. You can also add any extras. Let me know what you think, and also what you think a reasonable price to pay for this service would be? Thanks for your time lovely Mums!

AnneEyhtMeyer Wed 05-Jun-13 20:31:47

I meant as a supplier, Mary, not in competition. As it is a bakery business suggesting this, I thought they may be interested in an alternative avenue for revenue along the same lines.

skittles1 Wed 05-Jun-13 20:31:53

AnneEyhtMeyer....you are right, I currently work at a Private school in London with this same policy and the hot lunches are very good.

On one hand it helps the fussier eaters to try more, and to have the communal eating experience eating with their knife and fork etc...

There are some fussier eaters who eat little because of the lack of choice. In my experience, fussy eaters as children don't always make fussy adult eaters! I would just want them to eat well at lunch.

Also a good suggestion about contacting other educational settings.

Thank you

skittles1 Wed 05-Jun-13 20:39:47

All schools I have worked in have recycling facilities and the packaging would be able to be recycled. This would be encouraged by us too. The child is therefore learning about recycling (as they already do lots of in schools) rather than chucking in the bin.

It wouldn't be competition for hot lunches as this would be a cold packed lunch with a specific order.

In my last school some children had packed lunch one week, and hot lunch the next, or mixed and matched their days (Monday-Hot lunch, Tuesday-packed lunch.....)

The school never tried to promote their hot lunches to the Parents to stop them making packed lunches and ordering hot meals so this needn't be any different.

AnneEyhtMeyer...I appreciate your constructive opinion and positivity.

DewDr0p Wed 05-Jun-13 20:47:29

You'd have to match school dinner prices for me to be interested - £1.90 here.

I have to say that I agree with the pp who said it would be seen as competition by the school dinners providers.

Will you cater for the varying appetites of different children? My 8 yo would need quite a lot of food to keep him going - as a minimum an adult sized sandwich, veggie sticks, yoghurt or maybe some cheese, fruit and something like flapjack. Plus a drink obviously.

AnneEyhtMeyer Wed 05-Jun-13 20:52:52

Hmm, depends where you get your school lunch. Dd's is not optional, and costs £4 per day.

skittles1 Wed 05-Jun-13 20:54:50

DewDr0p...thank you...as this is a non postal delivery service then the lunches could perhaps be slightly bigger than the original description if desired. Perhaps there could be a size option to choose when ordering the lunch?

Theselittlelightsofmine Wed 05-Jun-13 20:59:23

My dogs would get to it first grin

Theselittlelightsofmine Fri 07-Jun-13 10:43:35

Why don't you contact local schools/colleges and ask if they would be interested in an outside cater providing packed lunches for pupils and staff rather than trying to get people on a one to one basis signing up?

BlameItOnTheBogey Mon 10-Jun-13 00:08:31

I'd do this if it were available in my area and it could accommodate allergies. I hate making pack lunches at the end of a busy day. And I'd happily pay a premium to avoid having to do this (I'm in the states at the moment and I pay $4.50 for hot lunch for ds but they can't accommodate allergies. I'd pay the same for a pack lunch for dd if they could - so that's approx 3 pounds).

What would happen to these rope handle boxes? At our school all packed lunch packaging has to go home with the child.
Our school offers a hot meal or sandwich as first course with a choice of puddings and a drink of squash for £1.80
I do packed lunches sometimes but purely to save on w
2 school dinners.
Most of the people I know who do packed lunches do so to save money (specially if they have several children) so to get the packed lunch market you'd have to be pretty cheap. And with single daily deliveries I don't see how you can be.

dafydyl Mon 14-Oct-13 20:38:43

I found this thread through Google, just wanted to add my thoughts. I don't have kids to make packed lunches for but I sometimes like to make healthy packed lunches for myself. Unfortunately I'm a bit lazy and usually end up buying from the staff canteen which costs a fortune.

Since I often spend £100 a month on canteen food which is usually unhealthy I would seriously pay someone a bit less than that to make me a healthy meal and deliver it to me each morning. I don't like sandwiches though. smile

Sorry to derail the thread a bit...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now