This topic is specifically designed for media or other requests for information / help from Mumsnet members. We ask those organisations requesting help here to pay a fee of £30 per request as a contribution to the site (when you've typed in your request, you will automatically be taken to a WorldPay page where you can pay by credit card). Many thanks. NOTE: Mumsnet does not check the content of these requests nor verify any links posted here; we'd like to remind you that it's wise always to be cautious about disclosing any personal data.

BBC World TV News looking for case study mum to discuss why women are having fewer babies.

(1 Post)
MEDIA: Victoria Sill Wed 22-May-13 14:18:41

BBC World TV News is the BBC's international news channel. We broadcast in every country around the globe except the UK.

Tomorrow afternoon at 4pm in our London studios we are planning a short live discussion around fertility decline. Ann Buchanan, an Oxford University academic, has just co-written a new book, 'Fertility Rates and Population Decline: No Time For Children?' which actually has a chapter on Mumsnet and includes testimony from mums on this site.

I am looking for one or two 'real' women (Ann will be our academic voice) to join the discussion either down the line from one of our bureaus abroad, or directly from our studio at New Broadcasting House on Portland Place.

I am looking for women who can explain their personal decisions around family planning.
Have you chosen to only have one child? If so, why?
Have you decided to wait till later in life to have kids? If so, why?
Have you found you've waited too long and now are faced with problems trying to conceive?
Have you decided to have a large family, if so why? How difficult/easy is it to raise a large family?

I'm particularly keen to hear from mums who can bring an international perspective. Perhaps you are a mumsnet user but you live in America, or perhaps you are a French mum living in London. Because of our global audience, we're keen to make the discussion as international as possible.

The author and academic Ann Buchanan's new book says that the latest research into population and fertility shows that by 2050 there will be a dramatic fall in fertility rates and population. This will have both positive and negative impacts. For example, we know from the UN that the main driver for reduction in poverty and greater well-being for children has been falling fertility. For those children who are at the margins of society, it is also good news, as governments will be keen to train and recruit them to fill the gaps in the work force.

However the negative consequences could include slower economic growth, labour shortages, reduced consumption and increased pressure on women to fill the gaps in the labour market alongside caring for their children and elderly relatives. It concludes that in future, families may need far more assistance to reconcile work and family life.

If you would like to be involved in this discussion, please email me: victoria.sill@bbc.co.uk with your mobile phone number so I can call you back if we're interested in interviewing you.

Please tell me where you are based (London/New York etc) and a short summary of your personal situation and decisions around planning your family.

I look forward to hearing from some of you.

Best wishes

Victoria

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now