This topic is specifically designed for media or other requests for information / help from Mumsnet members. We ask those organisations requesting help here to pay a fee of £30 per request as a contribution to the site (when you've typed in your request, you will automatically be taken to a WorldPay page where you can pay by credit card). Many thanks. NOTE: Mumsnet does not check the content of these requests nor verify any links posted here; we'd like to remind you that it's wise always to be cautious about disclosing any personal data.

Traveling with a child aged 2 - 5 years old

(19 Posts)
Conorkirk Thu 09-May-13 14:15:42

Hi my name is Conor Kirkpatrick I am a product design student designing a solution for traveling with a child aged 2 - 5 easier for a parent or guardian.What I want to know is the experiences and problems as a parent or a guardian that you face when traveling with a child of this age ?

Jamesstenhouse Thu 09-May-13 15:11:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ledkr Thu 09-May-13 15:12:05

Wee

Startail Thu 09-May-13 15:15:42

Lack of any thing to grab at child hight getting on, of or standing on buses, trains or the tube.

Conorkirk Thu 09-May-13 20:43:06

Hey thanks for the reply if you dont mind answering is their any problems you face with regards to buggys ?

Weegiemum Thu 09-May-13 20:48:15

Travelling? Like what type?

I travelled 20 miles to town from rural location several times a week? Or travelled in Canada with a 2yo and 4 yo. Or backpacked round Central America with a 16mo, 3yo and 5yo?

Conorkirk Thu 09-May-13 21:10:20

Hey its open, anything to do with traveling by any forms. So what problems did yourself face when traveling these types of journeys ?

Panzee Thu 09-May-13 21:13:21

Long waits and treks around airports. Some wont let you have your buggy till luggage claim and it's miles away. It's hard work with a tired child and hand luggage. I'm thinking Manchester airport and Malaga. grr

Shaky Thu 09-May-13 21:16:41

I would like car seat straps that are impossible for a 3 yr old to wriggle his arms out of.

Also a car seat that fits perfectly in the middle of the back seat so a 3 yr old cannot bash the windows and dick about with the door handle.

Hope that helps

AnneEyhtMeyer Thu 09-May-13 21:17:11

I was just going to post what Panzee has. Particularly bad when flying long haul and there is a queue for immigration (last time was two hours in the queue).

We tend to take the Trunki so DD has something to sit on, but after a 9 hour flight, she could do with something that she could sit back in, and maybe even fall asleep in.

Panzee Thu 09-May-13 21:19:53

Anne, once my 2 year old and I waited for an hour in immigration at Manchester - from Spain! How the hell they managed that I don't know.

AnneEyhtMeyer Thu 09-May-13 21:33:55

Panzee - what?? How on Earth could they justify that?

Panzee Thu 09-May-13 21:40:11

The queue just took forever. Had dragged child up stairs and along corridors with no buggy, then had to wait in a huge queue. I still have no clue why.

Rosa Thu 09-May-13 21:46:14

My godsend was a buggy that did fold to the dimensions of hand luggage and weighed 7kg. Purchased after was pregnant and had a toddler. Had to half carry walk with the toddler from the farthest point in the plane. Then had to wait 1.5 hrs for the luggage with no seating in the baggage area. I had requested assistance but they sent a wheelchair and refused to let dd sit in it or push my hand luggage. I used the buggy every trip, I could have sold it every time I got it out as saw people suffering.

AnneEyhtMeyer Thu 09-May-13 21:46:58

Oh what a nightmare.

OP - another thing to consider is that most people ditch their buggy before age 3. However, sometimes when travelling something buggy-like would be a God-send. If that item was very light (2kg or less) and portable (would fold into hand luggage) then I would find it very useful. The problem with the Trunki is that it is bulky, so if DD is so tired she needs to be carried then we also have to carry the Trunki.

unebagpipe Thu 09-May-13 21:48:35

Hate not having the buggy until baggage reclaim. This is seriously boring. So some sort of seat that you could clip onto a pullalong handcarry would be ace.

Another problem is lack of car seats when overseas (in Asia)- so always feel nervous about having my DS on my lap in taxis (3 yo).

Jet lag is also a killer- usually resolve it with having apps/lots of Peppa pig etc. downloaded onto Ipad.

Conorkirk Fri 10-May-13 09:32:22

Thanks very much for taking the time to replay to us, what you have said means a great deal and thanks again if you have anything else you want to share please do.

Queenbee245 Fri 10-May-13 09:39:49

I would like some sort of device to attatch a large umbrella to a buggy
DS is older now but I was always wondering why someone hadnt invented this when it was pissing down with rain and I couldn't hold an umbrella with one Hand and push a buggy with the other
If Anyone invents this I want a free one!!

MAsMum Wed 15-May-13 20:00:06

I would like a lightweight buggy which folds up and goes down with one touch of a button or flick of switch. I travel quite a lot on my own with my son through airports and it's always a nightmare trying to put down the buggy with one hand whilst trying to hold onto my son's hand at security and inevitably put shoes, phone etc in trays.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now