This topic is specifically designed for media or other requests for information / help from Mumsnet members. We ask those organisations requesting help here to pay a fee of £30 per request as a contribution to the site (when you've typed in your request, you will automatically be taken to a WorldPay page where you can pay by credit card). Many thanks. NOTE: Mumsnet does not check the content of these requests nor verify any links posted here; we'd like to remind you that it's wise always to be cautious about disclosing any personal data.

The effect of media on children

(7 Posts)
Courtelle Wed 08-May-13 21:58:12

I am currently in the process of completing a research proposal and a topic that interests me is does media have an effect, positive or negative, on children today?

As a mum of 2 young girls this topic intrigues me and would love to know what you think. Thanks in advance smile

boxershorts Sat 11-May-13 12:57:50

difficult to assess clearly TEXTING has made a great difference to childrens lives. Some good effects and some bad. twas ever thus

edam Wed 08-May-13 23:04:46

Courtelle - yes, you are right, it's not one thing or the other, peer pressure v. TV - it's far more complicated than that, each feeds into and off the other. In ever more complex ways now that TV has morphed into social media - how about Youtube? Sharing video via Facebook or other social media?

(TV and newer media can be good, bad and everything in between, btw - look at CBBC TV and website, or go and see the CEOP online stuff for kids.)

Fundamentally, I don't think you can look at TV in isolation from online the way you could have done even 10 years ago...

jkklpu Wed 08-May-13 22:46:20

There are lots of influences on people (adults and children alike) not only TV. I'd have thought other people, especially parents/other family/other carers/teachers were a bigger influence than TV.

Courtelle Wed 08-May-13 22:43:10

Some very valid points Edam!

It is a very broad topic I agree so probably a little difficult to cover all but I'm going to try and give it a go.

I intend to look at media as a whole, covering TV, radio, newspapers, magazines, online gaming and more recently social networking. My main focus at present is TV programmes and advertising. Research has produced evidence that peer pressure has more influence than TV however my question would be is where does this peer pressure begin, surely its initial source is TV?

Hope that's narrowed the gap a little.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Wed 08-May-13 22:35:17

Can you define media a bit more please?

Do you mean TV and radio? Sports coverage, children's TV programmes, adult stuff after the watershed? Are you including print? Newspapers, magazines? It's a bit difficult to discuss Newsround in the same breath as say, Britain's Got Talent. Internet games? Advertising?

Sorry, I just find your question a bit vague.

edam Wed 08-May-13 22:29:56

Well yes, it must have an effect, we are living through an information revolution just as the Victorians lived through the industrial revolution. We are constantly exposed to multiple media sources and content. Research used to show the average American child had watched something amazing like 3,000 TV commercials by the age of five, heaven only knows what the stat is now and in the UK.

Dunno what effect, though. Attention span must be an aspect, exposure to different cultures and different kinds of people who you would never meet in your own day to day life, exposure to constant commercial messages and exploitation (Club Penguin etc. etc.), a way for people who find it difficult to express themselves to do just that, exposure to sexual images/huge amounts of interesting information... all sorts of stuff, positive and negative.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now