This topic is specifically designed for media or other requests for information / help from Mumsnet members. We ask those organisations requesting help here to pay a fee of £30 per request as a contribution to the site (when you've typed in your request, you will automatically be taken to a WorldPay page where you can pay by credit card). Many thanks. NOTE: Mumsnet does not check the content of these requests nor verify any links posted here; we'd like to remind you that it's wise always to be cautious about disclosing any personal data.

Sterile water injections for pain relief in labour

(11 Posts)
MEDIA: timeforcake Mon 06-May-13 10:27:24

Hello, mumsnetters,

I am a midwife interested in the use of sterile water injections for pain relief in labour. I wanted to ask for women's views of these injections. Have you heard of them before, or would you be interested in finding out more? Would you use them in labour? Have you used them yourself? How did you find the experience, helpful or not? Would you use them again or recommend them to a friend? If you have used them, what stage of labour were you at, did you use any other form of pain relief after the injections, how long did the pain relief from the injections last? Is there anything else about this form of pain relief you can tell me? - really anything would be a great help.

Thank you all in anticipation of responses, this will be a great help in seeing if I can introduce this into the unit where I work and maybe for homebirths too...

sweetpea61 Tue 14-May-13 16:50:04

I've had trouble with my nickname and had to change it but I am the original poster.http://cdnmn.com/emo/te/1.gif
The injections are placed just under the skin on the back in roughly the same positions that TENS pads would go. Each 0.1 ml raises a small bleb and causes a stinging sensation initially, this passes quickly, but the irritation caused by the water seems to interrupt the pain messages going to the brain so that women report relief from lower back pain, particularly the pain associated with 'back to back' labour.
There are several good reports of the effects of these injections, particularly from Australia and it is now being offered in several units in the UK.
I like the idea that women can use these and still get into water if they want to, whereas TENS would have to be taken off, and it doesn't affect the baby at all.
I would really like to hear from women who have used it to see what they think--anyone ???

Greentree123 Sun 12-May-13 20:06:34

I think this sounds a great idea and I would be interested in finding out more

WouldBeHarrietVane Sat 11-May-13 21:15:52

Tbh if you were looking to introduce something new, I would like an emphasis on non-invasive natural labour coping techniques - eg yoga breathing.

WouldBeHarrietVane Sat 11-May-13 21:14:04

Interesting - would like to find out more! Meditrina's link isn't a ringing endorsement, though.

meditrina Sat 11-May-13 21:11:14

Try that link again (forgot to close brackets, sorry) here

meditrina Sat 11-May-13 21:10:28

I hadn't heard of them before. For those interested [[http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22258999 here's a review published on NCBI website.

kotinka Sat 11-May-13 21:05:25

not heard of them and wasn't offered them. Are they new?

RooneyMara Sat 11-May-13 21:02:46

same here, never heard of it but interested to hear.

I've never heard of it either - how does it work?

hej104 Sat 11-May-13 20:51:33

Hi, I've not heard of it before but would be interested in finding out more...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now