This topic is specifically designed for media or other requests for information / help from Mumsnet members. We ask those organisations requesting help here to pay a fee of £30 per request as a contribution to the site (when you've typed in your request, you will automatically be taken to a WorldPay page where you can pay by credit card). Many thanks. NOTE: Mumsnet does not check the content of these requests nor verify any links posted here; we'd like to remind you that it's wise always to be cautious about disclosing any personal data.

MA Dissertation Study - Did you go back to work after having children?

(12 Posts)
MEDIA: Education Student Sat 04-May-13 09:03:28

Hello everyone,

My name is Blanca Acerboni and I am an MA Early Years student at Canterbury Christ Church University.

As part of my dissertation I am undertaking a piece of research looking at the reasons why women may choose to or choose not to return to work after having a baby.

I would be very grateful if you felt able to help me in my research. Your participation would involve answering a short questionnaire about your reasons for returning or not returning to work after having a baby; and your feelings about your experiences. The survey should only take about 15 minutes to complete.

This survey is open to mothers aged 18 and over; who were in employment before having children and whose youngest or only child is aged 5 or under. Your responses will be completely anonymous and all data generated will be used for my own academic purposes only.

If you wish to find out more about the study and/or to participate please access the following link:
Did you go back to work?

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at b.acerboni110@canterbury.ac.uk or my supervisor at helen.quintrell@canterbury.ac.uk.

Your participation is completely optional; if after reading and/or completing the questionnaire you no longer wish to participate please do not feel that you need to submit your responses.

In the interests of full disclosure I am already a mumsnet member and occasional poster.

Thanks for reading and hopefully helping me with my research,

Blanca Acerboni

EducationStudent123 Wed 15-May-13 18:50:05

Thanks to everyone who read/participated.

The survey is now closed.

EducationStudent123 Thu 09-May-13 09:28:31

bump smile

TinyDiamond Mon 06-May-13 16:09:59

done and added some comments. I think your survey needs a bit of work

EducationStudent123 Mon 06-May-13 15:58:32

Hi all, it's the OP.

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who took the time to read/post/comment on my survey.

BitBewildered I specifically decided just focus on mothers in my dissertation as one of the issues I wanted to focus on is around womens' sense of identity.

Roshbegosh I've posted a link to my survey on netmums as well to get a wider sample.

Roshbegosh Mon 06-May-13 08:50:03

Do you think mumsnet is a representative sample? Your results won't mean anything but good luck with the MSc

BitBewildered Mon 06-May-13 08:47:07

Done. Hope it goes well!

I agree with changing 'mother' to 'parent'.

fufulina Mon 06-May-13 08:21:40

Done. I used the further comments box to address the points made by the poster above.

senua Mon 06-May-13 08:07:48

I don't like your survey. You ask 'to what extent do you agree with the following statement':
-My decision regarding whether to return to work after having my youngest (or only) child was motivated primarily by financial factors.
-My decision regarding whether to return to work after having my youngest (or only) child was influenced by my childcare options.

Where is the statement
-My decision regarding whether to return to work was motivated by the fact that I like my job and want to keep my career going.

And why does Q9 ask about stay-at-home mothers? Why not stay-at-home parents. Just like the above talked about my childcare options, not our or the household's childcare options.

LaFataTurchina Mon 06-May-13 07:51:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Leafmould Sun 05-May-13 23:19:57

Whoops. I didn't read the bit about the youngest child being 5 or under.

My youngest is over 5.

It might be a good idea to add the checks into the survey.... Ie have questions asking were you in employment before?.....
Is your youngest under 5?

Or you might get more twits like me not reading your introduction properly messing your research up. Sorry!

Triumphoveradversity Sun 05-May-13 18:36:35

Done and bumping for you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now