This topic is specifically designed for media or other requests for information / help from Mumsnet members. We ask those organisations requesting help here to pay a fee of £30 per request as a contribution to the site (when you've typed in your request, you will automatically be taken to a WorldPay page where you can pay by credit card). Many thanks. NOTE: Mumsnet does not check the content of these requests nor verify any links posted here; we'd like to remind you that it's wise always to be cautious about disclosing any personal data.

Help For a Design Project

(31 Posts)
EuanBright Fri 03-May-13 10:04:08

Hi, I am currently studying product design at college in Glasgow. My current project involves design a product which will make traveling with a 2 - 5 year old child easier. I must first identify an issue to solve. It would be a great help if any mums could tell me any problems or issues they have when travelling with 2-5 year olds? I.e. Not enough space in public transport, buggy not performing well or even children not doing what thier told. What is the main issue that needs resolved? Any feedback would be invaluable to my project. Thanks in advance!

Fuckwittery Fri 03-May-13 10:13:31

all of those!

I don't travel on buses very often and am never sure if there is going to be room on the bus for the buggy unfolded

I know that London buses have room for buggies, but there is never enough room for more than one, and if you have a large buggy it's tricky.

I usually try and fold the buggy before I get on in case there isn't room then I'm trying to carry buggy, toddler and watch older child as well. worse if you have a baby and toddler too!

On trains, there is rarely space to have the buggy next to a seat, so you need to leave it in a central bit by the doors, possibly getting in people's way and sit away from it. This means removing bags hung from the buggy too, as it's usually also a handy storage device for shopping and handbag as well as carrying child.

I hate it when I've hung bags etc on the back of the buggy and then I have to take my child out on public transport, and the weight change means that the bags on the back then make the whole buggy bags and all fall over backwards. I always forget about this in the stress of getting a child out and on a bus or train or whatever.

No bloody lifts at train stations.

You should borrow a 2 year old, and go out for the day with them to have a think about this smile

shellandkai Sun 05-May-13 08:08:45

I have a 2 year old and buses were a problem my son used to be in a pushchair but he's now walking everywhere (well kind of) he used to climb out of them all the time. Now my problems are going shopping or out anywhere he either tries running off and being pregnant its always hard trying to run after him when I'm exhausted anyway and if he's not running off he's walking too slow especially when we are in a rush to get somewhere and then I also have the problem of him wanting me to pick him up which I can only seem to do for a few minutes at a time (not good for long journeys) also shopping ever tried keeping hold of a toddlers hand aswell as holding loads of bags when your arms are killing you??? Not easy at all let me tell you, makes me miss his pushchair a lot but then as I Said there's the thin of him climbing out of a pushchair and at 2 he shouldn't be in one now anyway.

Fuckwittery Sun 05-May-13 08:27:55

shell, my dd2 has just turned 3 and i keep the pushchair, even though she can walk its handy to hang shopping in and i strap her in when she gets too boistourous or we need to walk quickly somewhere. dont get rid of it just because u think your son should be walking, sounds like it would make your life easier!

LentilAsAnything Tue 07-May-13 21:00:42

I'd like a sturdy case for my toddler's carseat for when we have to take it on a flight. I hate sending it off with the luggage, I don't trust the luggage handlers to treat it with care. I have visions of it tumbling down the ramp to the carousel, rendering it useless.
Ideally, these would be provided by the airlines, rather than parents having to lug them about - that wouldn't really work.

shellandkai Wed 08-May-13 10:24:13

Fuckwittery I would of kept it but it broke a while back and I thought I'm not going out to spend so much on a pushchair for just a few months. X

EuanBright Thu 09-May-13 09:45:15

Thanks very much for your replies, they will come in very useful!

KateSMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 11-May-13 10:19:30

Hi all,

We're just going to move this to Media Request.

MrsHiddleston Sat 11-May-13 10:26:35

I stopped using a buggy when my DS was 2 because of the hassle.

Seat availability on London buses is a big hassle, trying to carry a little one and stay vertical while the bus sways here there and everywhere is very difficult. I find we are often offered seats on trains and the tube but never buses.

EuanBright Mon 13-May-13 11:47:05

Thanks agian, was wondering if you could help answer another question. When travelling in city centre or town centres with 2-5 year olds, what probelms arise? Is shopping and shopping bags an issue? Is transport the biggest hassle?

LentilAsAnything Mon 13-May-13 13:44:12

I haven't found a pram that has ample space for all the stuff you need for the little one, and enough space for much shopping, so yeah, that's one.
I tend to walk into town rather than use buses or trains, but when I do use trains, the lifts are usually out of order, meaning I have to use the escalator, which I dread as if it stops with us half way up, it would be very hard for me to get out.

Another one is lifts in shopping centres! People who can use the escalators or stairs still hog the lifts despite me giving them evil looks, so people with prams and in wheelchairs have to wait excessively long for a lift. I don't suppose you can fix this though! smile

Toilets are not child-friendly either. It would be nice if there were some nice little toilets for the small children to use, and sinks that are low enough for them to use themselves. Not sure fixing this is within the parameters of your project though! smile

Fuckwittery Mon 13-May-13 14:17:41

its easier to shop with a 2 year old in a buggy than a 3.5 year old who wants to walk, oh and bring their scooter and favourite massive doll, you end up carrying heavy shopping bags, scooter, toy and dragging reluctant child with you
agree loos for potty training children and bloody sinks that are too high and cubicles too small to fit you both in
i have a just 6 and just 3 year old and spent the last year avoiding city centres on my own, just being too far from home is stressful with tiredness, tamtrums, needing loo, too far to walk etc. if its a small town centree with everything close together and can park nearby or good transport much easier.

LentilAsAnything Mon 13-May-13 16:15:53

smile My two year old usually wants to walk too, and once he's tired of that, he wants to be carried, not sit in the pram, so I am carrying him with one arm, and pushing the pram with the other! He does quite like being wheeled about in a suitcase, though I haven't actually done this outside. smile

Online shopping is the way forward!

EuanBright Wed 15-May-13 12:14:28

Thanks guys, couple more quick questions. In terms of long distance travel, what problems arise? For example, do airports post a problem when travelling with a child i.e. wandering off and getting lost? Too many bags? Child getting bored and restless? Comfort issues? From what I've seen I've probably got enough but just to cover all areas! Thanks again smile

EuanBright Wed 15-May-13 12:46:01

Also to focus on airports, is boredom a big issue? And travel too as often buggies are checked into luggage?

AnneEyhtMeyer Wed 15-May-13 12:53:01

I think one of your fellow students has already posted this question

here

Fuckwittery Wed 15-May-13 14:50:17

yes i dont understand why airports cant be more child friendly! there is loads of space in them, so many shops and restaurants and i have never seen a play area in the uk. would be great if there could be a child friendly cafe with play area, or a toy room. they could charge a small entry fee and would happily pay. otherwise im fairly happy with provision of food, loos (must be one near the gate) and drinking fountains. the liquid rules are a pain in the arse for travelling with small children but not so bad for the 2 plus age range when milk and baby food is no longer required.

most airlines let you take the buggy to the gate on departure, but on arrival, you often dont get the buggy back at the plane, and have to carry small tired child until you get your luggage.
the exception to this is american airports which are brilliant at giving buggies back at the arrival gate.

AnneEyhtMeyer Wed 15-May-13 15:53:31

Not all American airports, Fuckwittery. They certainly don't at Orlando.

LentilAsAnything Wed 15-May-13 17:58:10

Airports aren't comfortable for adults, or children! A play area would be great.

A nice fun trolley would be a cute idea - one in the shape of a plane, for example.
And something to wheel them about in, for those of us who have left the pram behind. Something like this, but with more space for our bags. csyirunda.en.alibaba.com/product/277220740-210171837/Kid_supermarket_trolley.html
Or a child-sized trolley, my tot loves to push his own stuff around! E.g. www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Toddler-Fruits-Vegetables-Food-Trolley-Toy-Supermarket-Children-Kid-shopping-cart-Pretend-Play-Toy-toy/832078771.html but looking more like the trolleys airports have rather than supermarkets.

My main concern though is as I mentioned above, putting my carseat in the hands of the baggage handlers! I'd like a big sturdy box to protect it.

shellandkai Fri 17-May-13 08:58:27

Taking my 2 year old shopping is always hard carrying bags and when he gets tired he wants carrying being pregnant again I can't carry him as much anymore he looks way too big for a pushchair now and putting him in one you get alot of dirty looks off people as I know they are thinking he's too big for a pushchair now, long distance travel is always difficult as he gets restless and wants to get up all the time, I take toys with us on long distance travel but they don't seem to entertain him for very long at all the seats are narrow too so if he decides to have a nap he gets really uncomfortable due to lack of space. So either way when he's awake he's bored when he's asleep he's uncomfortable. You just can't win at all.

Fuckwittery Fri 17-May-13 10:39:53

Ah OK Anne, they do at Newark, JFK and I believe it happened at San Fran as well. Bloody brilliant at JFK, heard such bad things about that airport and had a nightmare 3 hour immigration wait pre kids, but last time round we had buggy waiting before we were off the plane and were ushered to the front of the immigration queue.

AnneEyhtMeyer Fri 17-May-13 15:54:23

Oh that sounds good. I've only used those airports without children!

EuanBright Tue 21-May-13 16:07:48

So would you agree that a good alternative would be a trolley for the child hired in the airport itself? Meaning you don't have an extra carry on?

Fuckwittery Tue 21-May-13 16:41:53

yes - it would be so easy to put child seats on airport luggage trollies, like supermarket trollies, they need to be available at the gate though when you get off the plane.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now