This topic is specifically designed for media or other requests for information / help from Mumsnet members. We ask those organisations requesting help here to pay a fee of £30 per request as a contribution to the site (when you've typed in your request, you will automatically be taken to a WorldPay page where you can pay by credit card). Many thanks. NOTE: Mumsnet does not check the content of these requests nor verify any links posted here; we'd like to remind you that it's wise always to be cautious about disclosing any personal data.

*Help* needed about preschool activities

(8 Posts)
Deanna1 Wed 01-May-13 11:50:51

Hi, I’m a student in college and am currently doing a project where I will be creating an animation for children ages 2-5 to help them learn new things. However as I’m not a mum myself I need to know what sorts of things children of that age need to be learning about and what educational programmes they like watching at the moment. I need advice on what mum’s would like their children to be learning when they are not at pre school smile Thank you for your help, I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

kimmills222 Wed 15-May-13 19:33:37

I think without closely looking at and examining a child you would not be able to pull off the project. I would also suggest you to go to a nursery or childcare center and watch the children and their activities.

Deanna1 Wed 08-May-13 09:27:14

It was my teacher that suggested it, it's not the only thing I'm doing but thanks anyway. smile

LIZS Thu 02-May-13 15:25:04

I'm not sure asking open ended questions of random people on the internet really constitutes primary research. Why not approach a local mums and tots or NCT group and ask if you could arrange to meet some willing mums and interview/answer questionnaire.

Deanna1 Thu 02-May-13 09:31:39

I'm doing a media course, and yes I will look at that then!
Yeah, I have emailed the head of the nursery and in waiting for a response.
Thank you for all of your advice, I may re-think my age range after doing some research on the internet.
I just needed some primary research and I thought asking mothers themselves would be really useful, and it has proved to be! I'm great full for all of the responses, thank you smile

insancerre Wed 01-May-13 18:15:06

you have picked a very wide age range
2 year olds are entirely different from 5 year olds
2 year old s are still learning to talk andto control their muscles and their emotions
they are learning how to share and not to bite/scratch/hit/scream because their world consists only of them at the moment

5 year olds, on the other hand are learning about the world, they are learning how to write and to read and maing sense of the world around them- they can play cooperatively and use their imginations

also children learn mostly through doing, by having hands on experieces
I imagine it would be hard to replicate that on a screen

happystory Wed 01-May-13 18:12:14

That shouldn't be too hard to find out from the internet or asking friends etc. Your college might have a nursery where you could do some research?

LIZS Wed 01-May-13 18:07:42

Suggest you Google Early Year Foundation Stage curriculum. What are you studying ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now