This topic is specifically designed for media or other requests for information / help from Mumsnet members. We ask those organisations requesting help here to pay a fee of £30 per request as a contribution to the site (when you've typed in your request, you will automatically be taken to a WorldPay page where you can pay by credit card). Many thanks. NOTE: Mumsnet does not check the content of these requests nor verify any links posted here; we'd like to remind you that it's wise always to be cautious about disclosing any personal data.

Volunteers wanted to trial business course for 11-13 year olds by BBC Apprentice candidate

(6 Posts)
Jo1717 Mon 29-Apr-13 16:20:36

Hi everyone. I'm a candidate on this season's Apprentice on BBC1 and I'm looking for a dozen volunteers to try out a course I'm working on.

It's a guide to building a business for 11-13 year olds and I need some volunteers to test the course out with their kids over the next 8 weeks or so and to provide feedback so I can hone it.

I'm willing to give it to you for free if you can promise me 15-20 minutes a week on the phone to give me yours and your kids thoughts on how it's all going and what can be done to improve the materials.

The course is all encompassing, provides all the material you need and is easy to follow. There is still room for improvement but I'd rather do it with your help and with the kids involved.

The whole thing could be taught in as little as a few days or stretched out into an 8 week course, doing one lesson per week. It has 7 or 8 lessons in all at the moment, with assignments after each, questions for you to ask, discussion points and all the templates your kids will need to get their business going and make money.

If you're interested please get in touch. I'm not using this for business, so I apologise if this seems at all spammy - I'm giving this away for nothing, I just thought this might be a good place to find parents who want to encourage their kids to learn enterprise skills.

Thanks,
J

Jo1717 Fri 17-May-13 10:44:42

Hey MummaBubba - drop me a private message with your email - I'm happy for your nephew & neice to join, but I'd like a direct connection with the mum is poss as I want this stage to be a two way discussion. Send me your details and I'll explain more.

J

gazzalw Wed 08-May-13 11:14:56

Hi, my 12 year old DS is keen on The Apprentice and I think something like this would be good for him and us as parents. So we are definitely interested.

How do we contact you, J?

MummaBubba123 Sat 04-May-13 09:50:43

My nephew, niece and their mummy are interested. Can I forward them your email?

Jo1717 Mon 29-Apr-13 17:22:43

Hi there isitsnowingyet

Please excuse the lack of detail - if you or anyone else is interested in finding out more then please feel free to PM me your contact details and I'll share more info privately with those who get in touch.

Thanks for your positive feedback too, I appreciate that. If anyone has any thoughts, either positive or negative, I welcome them smile

The amount of time it would take will vary with how intensely you want to do it, and actually part of this process is to get a feel for the best format. It could be a few hours per week for 8 weeks or it could all be done in a couple of intensive days. I'm hoping to get a feel for this over the trial period, with your feedback.

We will provide you with our first (rough) draft of the coursebook, with all the educational material you will need. It will then be up to you to take your kid through it and share your experiences with us. If you don't end up even starting the business that's OK - we're just trying to develop the course with real feedback from Mums and Kids themselves.

Thanks again for your interest and all the best,
J

isitsnowingyet Mon 29-Apr-13 16:29:26

Fascinating. I have a 13 year old who may well be interested, but the details are a little spare here. What exactly does the course involve? How long would it take during the week for the child? What exactly are the materials?

More detail please

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now