This topic is specifically designed for media or other requests for information / help from Mumsnet members. We ask those organisations requesting help here to pay a fee of £30 per request as a contribution to the site (when you've typed in your request, you will automatically be taken to a WorldPay page where you can pay by credit card). Many thanks. NOTE: Mumsnet does not check the content of these requests nor verify any links posted here; we'd like to remind you that it's wise always to be cautious about disclosing any personal data.

Special Educational Needs Funding Scandal - case studies sought for article

(7 Posts)
wombview Mon 29-Apr-13 14:12:00

I'm a governor of a school whose council is withholding SEN funds. I've written a blog about it & although I wrote it initially from a local perspective, I've since realised it's happening in pocktes nationally. I want to write a national piece but will need some case studies to make the story hard to ignore. For those of you who might not know, I've been advised that councils that do not honour statements, are in breach of various legislation, not least, The Education Act, which states, “The law does not allow the LA to refuse to put [SEN] provision into place on the grounds of cost once, there is evidence [statements] that it is needed”. You can access my blog through my website: www.tessfinchlees.com Many thanks.

TeamEdward Mon 29-Apr-13 14:16:23

There is a bloggers board on this forum. I know the rules about bloggers linking on the main boards have been relaxed, but you have posted purely to link to your blog.

However, I do agree that SEN funding needs more serious consideration. I was under the impression that express funding for statements had been abolished?

lottieandmia Mon 29-Apr-13 14:20:15

Council withholding SEN funds, councils not honouring statements? Yep, that sounds like classic LEA behaviour to me.

There are no lows that some of them will not stoop to.

I could tell many stories of unprofessional and downright hostile behaviour that I have faced from our LEA staff (although I've had a few good experiences too) but this really is nothing new at all.

When I started out on the path of getting my dd a statement that provided for her needs I was warned by another parent 'The LEA is a cross between Hitler and Satan and it's best to have as little to do with them as possible, except to get your child's statement of SEN'. Sadly, that is not far from the truth.

I will have a look at your website.

lottieandmia Mon 29-Apr-13 14:21:26

LEAs have been telling people that statements have been abolished for years - it's all lies until there is a change in the law.

TeamEdward Mon 29-Apr-13 14:33:27

Oh yes, it's not abolished just no longer ring-fenced to a particular child.

LisaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 29-Apr-13 15:45:33

Just to let you know that we are going to move this thread to the Media Requests section shortly. MNHQ

Have you looked on the Special Needs - children board here? There's plenty of case studies there sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now