Pregnant and low carb?

(6 Posts)
MushroomTree Sat 20-Aug-16 19:59:05

Long time low carber but I've just found out I'm pregnant (very early) so the question is, what can I eat?

Obviously the health of my baby is the most important thing, but equally I'd rather not put on 6 million stone in baby weight by embracing every carb on offer!

I know I can't bootcamp when pregnant or breastfeeding, but can I do a modified low carb? Or do I need to accept carbs are going to be a part of my life for the next year and get back on the bandwagon when baby is a bit older?

Thanks!

AppleMagic Sat 20-Aug-16 20:09:37

I live in the US and am pregnant with diabetes. I have to see a qualified nutritionist monthly as well as an endocrinologist (because they love to bill my insurance as much as possible) and both have said that I need to make sure that I eat 200g carbs a day to prevent ketones and allow the baby to grow properly.

Having said that, I actually lost weight in both my previous pregnancies (in the UK) and none of the medical team I saw were worried as long as the baby was growing ok (and I wasn't testing positive for ketones) so it's not a given that you need to put on weight to have a healthy baby (even in my case where I wasn't overweight to start with).

AppleMagic Sat 20-Aug-16 20:13:08

I've just remembered that the nutritionist calculated the number of carbs I needed to eat based on my weight and activity level so 200g might just be specific to me, sorry.

EllenDegenerate Mon 22-Aug-16 10:07:20

Hi, I've just started to do modified low carb at almost 25 weeks pregnant.
This is mainly because I was craving carbs all the time and felt absolutely shocking, I was eating approx 2350 calls per day of which approx 70% was carbs (sugar, white bread) I've gained 16lbs this pregnancy which isn't lots but I'd appreciate it if the gain slowed down a bit now as approx 6lbs of that has been in the last month.

So I've started MFP, set my calories to 1800 calls, macros are carbs 20%,protein 40%, fat 40%

I'm still eating all fruits and veg, full fat milk and wholemeal bread so it's not VLC.
I've had fabulous appetite control eating this way and I feel much better.

When I'm breastfeeding I plan to adjust my ratios to 10/60/30. Hopefully I won't have masses of weight to lose.
I think it's important to stay out of keypads during pregnancy so aim for 90-100 g of carbs per day.

HTH smile

EllenDegenerate Mon 22-Aug-16 10:09:48

Keypads lol, I mean ketosis sorry.
Carb levels of 100g per day are extremely unlikely to induce a ketotic state.

MushroomTree Wed 24-Aug-16 11:45:17

Thanks for the replies. I've added a few carbs back in but I'm keeping them minimal and sticking to the "good" carbs like sweet potato.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now