I've just read "Why we get fat and what to do about it"

(18 Posts)
stopfaffing Wed 25-May-16 06:57:18

And have decided to give low-carbing a try. The book talked mostly about the science of how the human body works (with fat and carbs) and it's been eye-opening. It seems that we have had the answer for over 100 years but since the 1960's ignored it and went the "low fat" route which is why obesity exploded and is now a major problem.

It does state that some people who have had decades of disordered eating may find they have limited success due to damage to hormonal regulation to fat tissues which may not be able to be reversed, and I would not be at all surprised to be classed as one of those, regretfully, being a classic yoyo dieter extraordinaire who has, many times, lost and gained significant weight over three decades (at least) grin.

I currently carry probably 55%-60% fat just now which is really shocking so am looking for something that will remove the fat but allow me to eat until I feel full.

Some years ago I successfully lost over 100 pounds doing a VLCD which was very low carb shakes and soups. I was in ketosis for six months while I did it and reduced to 23% fat (from over 50% at the time).

What I need now is to plan meals which are low carb but 'normal' too, and I have looked in my cupboards to see them stacked with stuff which just won't do now sad.

So, I am not caring about losing 'weight' as much as losing 'fat' and this means that I will need to find out, reasonably accurately, my fat percentage.

Would it be best to see my GP for a proper fat analysis or is there another way. I do have scales but they are notoriously inaccurate and often don't work anyway (error message).

Can anyone recommend a good website for recipe ideas?

Thanks.

saffynool Wed 25-May-16 07:18:07

Diet Doctor

I really like the website above - it's run by a Swedish doctor called Andreas Eenfeldt and is a really straightforward guide to eating LCHF. You might also want to try Mark's Daily Apple which is a great US site around low carb 'primal' eating and has lots of recipes and a really interesting forum as well.

At the risk of sounding horrendously patronising it's good to hear that you're not going to go back down the shakes-and-soups route! The fundamental issue with almost all diets is sustainability, and I think you will find that 'proper' LCHF is much more sustainable - the food is so delicious for a start!

It might be an idea to go to your dr and just have a full MOT, including body fat percentages, before you start. You could even perhaps have some bloods done to see what happens to your cholesterol/triglycerides etc? And maybe join the Bootcamp? It is really helpful for staying on track in early weeks as you get used to the way of eating. You won't regret it, I love eating low carb!

stopfaffing Wed 25-May-16 07:34:45

saffy thanks for prompt reply and yes VLCD are not the sustainable way to go, and so limiting. I think back to that time and remember that I went abroad on holiday with my little soup packets and existed solely on them in the face of the rest of the family tucking into delicious dishes like seafood paella and grilled sardines. I also did the birthday season (November) AND Christmas/New Year totally SS! I was a good girl but obviously learned nothing sad.

I will have a look at the Diet Doctor site and the Boot Camp and Mark's Daily Apple, and set up a plan of action; recipes, Dr visit, shopping lists etc.

It is fortunate that I love fish, meat and eggs, but also veg. grin

Thanks again, saffy flowers

MumOnTheRunCatchingUp Wed 25-May-16 07:53:47

I lost 5 stone by cutting the carbs

But it's a bit tough long term. I try and follow it loosely, but really struggle with fruit and veg being high in carb value, therefore restricted!

Good luck

Jemmima Wed 25-May-16 08:05:37

Do paleo which is lower carb but allows for much more fruit and veg but no dairy. Lost two stone a year ago and kept it off. Lots of lovely paleo treats like almond flour cakes , coconut cookies too. I'm moderation of course but they are protein and fat so don't tend to raise insulin levels.

Jemmima Wed 25-May-16 08:06:31

That should have read "I do Paleo"

saffynool Wed 25-May-16 08:11:56

Veg isn't restricted, mumontherun?

Unless you're talking about things like sweet corn, or lots and lots of carrots or peas. There's tons of veg that you can eat in unrestricted quantities - in fact I always eat way, way more veg when I'm in the low carb 'zone' than I do eating an average, high-carb diet.

Fruit, well yeah you do have a point there grin

Kummerspeck Wed 25-May-16 08:14:35

I second the MN bootcamp recommendation, lots of support and advice there.
Diet Doctor is also good and has some excellent information and recipes which are useful as it takes a while to get your head round what to eat after years of nutrition advice that this way of eating runs contrary to

The only thing I don't agree with in saffy's post is the doctor thing. Can doctors even do body fat percentages? I know mine can't as they just have accurate weighing scales; I've only seen the %ge ones at gyms and places like that. I also can't imagine the GP would want to use stretched NHS resources on blood testing for a healthy person on the grounds of changing their way of eating. I may be totally wrong though as I have never asked.

saffynool Wed 25-May-16 08:21:48

You might well be right but most surgeries/pharmacies do offer full healthchecks (particularly after 40, dont know if that's relevant to the OP).

With respect to the OP (sorry OP!) carrying body fat of 60% is not going to be considered healthy at all; depending on her Dr she may find that they are open to doing a wider battery of tests - I guess my point is no harm in asking!

cherrytree63 Wed 25-May-16 08:33:14

There are online body fat calculators where you input body measurements, BMI and age.

sleepwhenidie Wed 25-May-16 08:54:57

The 'gold standard' for body fat testing is a DEXA body scan but this costs around £150.

Next best is a personal trainer using calipers calculating it. If you know one or have friends who do then you could probably pay them a small fee to do this?

There are scales in gyms and Boots that measure body fat but they are pretty inaccurate, as are online calculators.

sleepwhenidie Wed 25-May-16 08:55:18

dexa

sleepwhenidie Wed 25-May-16 09:08:27

Although, to be honest, I'd get less hung up on numbers - if you eat like you plan to then you should lose weight and inevitably, fat. You will see and feel the difference. Once you get to a healthy/overweight BMI your fat % will become more healthy too. It's very difficult (if not impossible) to only lose fat when you lose weight. If your body fat % is too high but weight healthy, then you need to start being very careful with diet and also tailor your exercise to maximise muscle and burn fat. Whatever your goals, including resistance training as part of your exercise regime is a good plan smile

stopfaffing Wed 25-May-16 16:57:01

Wow Mum 5 stone, that's a great achievement smile. I'm hoping that there are some veg and even some fruit that is ok though, will need to do some research.

I've heard of paleo, jemmima but didn't realise that it didn't allow dairy. I do like a splash of milk in my tea grin.

Saffy, that's good to hear about veg smile. I never thought about going to the pharmacy. Might be worth checking at my local one.

Kummer I'll have a gander at the Bootcamp a bit later, and regarding the GP thing, I was thinking to seeing the practice nurse who will be doing that sort of thing anyway (I wouldn't really want to bother the doctor unless I was ill and I am not. Despite my size (20) I am healthy and active.

Sleep I would be prepared to pay someone to use the calipers (are they not more accurate?) but wouldn't want to join a gym. Thanks for the link smile

Oh, and numbers, definitely agree there that I mustn't get hung up on them, I have in the past and it means that I lose the plot somewhat because the scales don't have the number I want sad. I was thinking of monitoring the fat on, say, a monthly basis or even less often.

Will now wander over to the Bootcamp <and maybe lurk wink >.

stopfaffing Wed 25-May-16 18:01:23

Wow, Bootcamp is amazing grin. Am currently perusing the recipe thread. Can't wait to start now....

Will start to introduce lower carb dishes gradually this week (as I use up stuff in the kitchen cupboards) with a view to doing a low carb shopping list at the weekend for meal plan next week.

For example I did chicken curry with mushrooms for tea tonight and I had spinach with mine (DH wholemeal rice). I had a couple of satsumas too (they have to be used up and they are my little bites of sunshine, I shall miss them sad). Still it must be done.

Jemmima Fri 27-May-16 08:28:56

I couldn't be without fruit and veg . Tried bootcamp but too restrictive for me. I don't have dairy but have almond milk or coconut milk and coconut cream. Tastes like normal to me now. I

Kummerspeck Fri 27-May-16 13:37:19

Jemmima On bootcamp you should be eating plenty of veg, just the lower carb ones

Jemmima Fri 27-May-16 18:12:20

Kummerspeck thanks but i know how bootcamp works and its not for me. I do paleo which is lower carb but includes all fruit and veg as from my perspective they are vital to good health and nutrition. Lower carb veg just doesnt give enough of the vitamins that i need. I eat the rainbow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now