exercise on low carb?

(8 Posts)
slebmum1 Thu 24-Mar-16 09:44:37

I have an endurance swim tomorrow (5k) and have been low carving successfully for a couple of weeks. My normal exercise has been fine but this is a long one and wondering if I'm going to need something carb based before. It's cold water too so will be using energy to keep warm!

Any advice?

Thanks

BIWI Thu 24-Mar-16 09:45:50

If you've only been low carbing for a couple of weeks, you may find it quite hard going - have you been training during this period?

Thefitfatty Thu 24-Mar-16 09:51:42

I exercise pretty intensely on low carb. Make sure you eat plenty of protein and good fats before your swim and you should be fine.

slebmum1 Thu 24-Mar-16 12:13:38

No training at all Biwi! I am a swimmer though. Have been keeping fit with jogging while I've been out of the pool though.

BIWI Thu 24-Mar-16 15:08:17

Are you aiming for a particular time, or just to complete it? If the latter, then you should be fine. If the former, you may struggle as you're probably not properly fat-adapted yet.

Agree with Thefitfatty - plenty of fat and protein and you should be fine without having to resort to carbs.

slebmum1 Fri 25-Mar-16 21:17:30

I was going for time. In the end I added some kidney beans to my chilli last night and had Greek yog this morning. Smashed it so very pleased and back on low carb. I think I probably didn't need the beans but didn't want to flake out in the pool!

YesMum23 Sun 03-Apr-16 19:09:07

low carb diets are terrible for physical and brand performance. Look into a high carb low fat vegan diet.

BIWI Sun 03-Apr-16 21:07:37

They absolutely are not,YesMum. On what do you base your assertion?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now