Cauliflower Rice

(21 Posts)
IpsyUpsyDaisyDo Thu 07-Jan-16 08:53:56

I'm probably a bit late to the party on this one, but what do people think of cauliflower rice as a substitute for rice/potato/pasta in meals? I'm not massively keen on cauliflower but I've heard that when you microwave it, it doesn't taste so strongly of cauliflower?

NicoleWatterson Thu 07-Jan-16 09:04:12

It doesn't taste hugely cauliflowery no, it is a great substitute. To be honest I'd probably pick it over rice for a lot of dishes

IpsyUpsyDaisyDo Thu 07-Jan-16 09:59:10

Thanks Nicole, will give it a try!

ApologiesToInsectLife Thu 07-Jan-16 10:00:43

I agree it's good. Smells more cauli-ish when you're cooking it than when you're eating it. It's great to soak up sauce in a Thai curry for example.

whatdoIget Thu 07-Jan-16 10:04:19

If it still tastes of cauliflower when it's cooked, it needs to be cooked for a bit longer. Just taste it when you get it out of the microwave. It should taste sort of neutral.

DramaAlpaca Thu 07-Jan-16 10:04:47

I really like cauliflower rice. It's a bit boring done in the microwave, but really nice sauteed with finely chopped peppers and onions. I like it with curries, chilli, anything really.

Mashed cauliflower is also a delicious substitute for mashed potato.

ApologiesToInsectLife Thu 07-Jan-16 10:09:35

I'm not so keen on the mashed Cauli Drama, how do you do it? I tend to use mashed Celeriac as an alternative (with plenty of cheese on top!!).

whatdoIget Thu 07-Jan-16 10:49:26

Mashed celeriac is lovely! I tend to avoid it though because they're so tough to cut up. It's like chopping wood. Do you have any tips to make it easier, ApologiesToInsectLife?

IpsyUpsyDaisyDo Thu 07-Jan-16 11:16:36

Ooo! Thanks for reminding me about celeriac mash, another good carb substitute

Will give the cauli-rice a go, BBC Good Food gave a few ways to cook it - microwave, pan-fry and roast

tabulahrasa Thu 07-Jan-16 11:23:44

It's horrible, tastes exactly like cauliflower...after talking to a few people I think it comes down to that whole how you taste things as bitter or not.

If you don't like cauliflower, cabbagey things and can't for the life of you work out how people think grapefruit is edible, then it'll still taste like cauliflower.

If it's just that you're not hugely keen on it, it's ok.

Florin Thu 07-Jan-16 11:28:30

It's lovely I fry it lightly with herbs and spices. I would always choose it over rice and I hate cauliflower!

Gunting Thu 07-Jan-16 11:34:27

I really like it and I don't like cauliflower.

I'm very lazy and buy it ready made from Asda. They do plain or a version with paprika and other veg mixed in.

ouryve Thu 07-Jan-16 11:44:08

I'd rather just serve things with some nicely cooked cauliflower and veg. The thing I like about cauliflower is the creaminess of a nice big piece in your mouth. (ahem)

ApologiesToInsectLife Thu 07-Jan-16 12:30:28

Ooh ouryve I say shockgrin. WhatdoIget, I tend to cut the celeriac up with a giant feck off knife then peel with a smaller one, similar to butternut squash.

ApologiesToInsectLife Thu 07-Jan-16 12:31:43

Oh and thinly sliced celeriac makes a really good dauphinoise ad well.

whatdoIget Thu 07-Jan-16 12:41:00

Thanks ApologiesToInsectLife. Maybe I need a bigger knife then. I have considered using a junior hacksaw hmm
Maybe I just ended up with some exceptionally hard celeriacs??

IpsyUpsyDaisyDo Thu 07-Jan-16 12:46:59

Interesting how divisive cauliflower can be...! I don't like cabbagey things but I love love grapefruit - I'm encouraged by people saying they don't like cauli but they do like cauli-rice
Definitely going back to mashed celeriac too

tabulahrasa Thu 07-Jan-16 12:57:28

If you like grapefruit then you'll probably be fine...based on my totally anecdotal very rubbish research, rofl.

My theory is that that bitter taste that only some people can taste is still there, so it still tastes like cauliflower to them. But for other people that isn't the taste they get anyway so their cauliflower taste isn't there.

DramaAlpaca Thu 07-Jan-16 13:11:02

Apologies I blitz steamed cauliflower in a blender then add a bit of butter. It's softer than mashed spuds, but I like it. I also like celeriac mash, will have to try it with cheese!

Chips made with celeriac are scrummy too.

sophUK Wed 13-Apr-16 10:04:47

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

BIWI Fri 15-Apr-16 20:09:13

soph - will you please stop spamming the boards with your blog? You're not allowed to do that, especially as you're not part of the MN Bloggers network

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now