probably a very silly question re. low v medium carbing

(6 Posts)
julietbat Thu 09-Jul-15 12:28:23

I've been thinking about following a lchf plan. I probably have up to a stone to lose and I know that's really because of my biscuit/chocolate snacking and love of wine! blush wine
I have pretty poor willpower and have never 'believed in' diets - except I think because it's a WOE and supported by logical science, low-carbing could work for me.

My silly question is... I've read some people talking about low-carbing and others about medium-carbing. I get the obvious difference but is there a specific amount that makes the difference between the two? I don't have a massive amount of weight to lose so I'm wondering if I'm more likely to stick to it if I don't start off all guns blazing! But does medium-carbing literally mean you can eat slightly more carbs?! How would I know when it's too much?

RepeatAdNauseum Thu 09-Jul-15 12:31:21

There's a low carb boot camp on here, it's very good.

One thing I'll say is that it's much more difficult to resist temptation if you can have a little bit. You'll always think, "what harm will a bit more do?" especially with cards, which are often more some! It's almost easier to cut them out and get over missing them.

Foodismymedicine Fri 10-Jul-15 14:05:11

I do a medium carb woe and I don't eat a lot of added fat. If the fat comes naturally like roast chicken then fine but I don't add much fat if it doesn't come naturally with the food. I also eat quite a bit of fruit and veg but don't eat white potatoes often nor do I eat much dairy. I do eat meat, veg, fruit and salad. Loads of fruit and veg, at least 10 very small portions per day but often more like 15. I don't drink alcohol and just have water with lemon/lime/or strawberry in. I have nuts occasionally. I am losing weight this way. My main motivation is to eat naturally rather than anything processed. I believe lowish carb is anything up to 100grams per day . I think its trial and error as to how many your body can take to lose and not gain.

toffeeboffin Fri 10-Jul-15 18:57:35

I have no idea whether your would consider the way I eat low or medium carb, but I eat loads of protein, veg, fat, very little bread and pasta.

I do however eat lots of lentils and chickpeas, they are so filling I barely need half a cup.

Ditching bread and pasta really helps. You just replace them with veg, protein, lentils etc.

julietbat Mon 13-Jul-15 23:04:38

Thanks everyone. I think I might take a relaxed approach first and get rid of the pasta and bread and cut down on sugary foods.
And then maybe tag along on a boot camp if I need a further kick up the bum!

StuntNun Tue 14-Jul-15 09:09:05

For a medium carb approach stay below 100g carbs per day. For low carb stay below 50g per day. Some people find they have to stay below 20-25g per day for effective weight loss. The Bootcamp rules will get you below 20-25g, Bootcamp Light will get you below 50g. All very approximately.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now