How do you make homemade low carb sausages?

(6 Posts)
StuntNun Sun 09-Feb-14 19:24:21

Homemade sausages were made today and were lovely. I wasn't sure whether to mince the fat on the pork shoulder or not so I left it out and made it into pork scratchings instead.

FavadiCacao Sat 25-Jan-14 13:18:54

No, they are quite juicy. You can add a bit of wine or an egg, if you like.
You need a very sharp knife to cut the bacon thin but it will not be wafer thin.

StuntNun Sat 25-Jan-14 12:30:46

Hold the phone... homemade bacon?! How do you slice it thin enough?

StuntNun Sat 25-Jan-14 12:30:03

Thank you. Isn't it a bit dry if you use 100% meat? I was thinking about 95 or 97.5% meat.

FavadiCacao Sat 25-Jan-14 10:30:32

Belly and shoulder are good. I have used shoulder and homemade bacon before. There's no need to add potato or starch, just let the mix rest in the fridge for half an hour.
Good luck smile

StuntNun Sat 25-Jan-14 10:15:26

The only low carb sausages I can buy locally are the M&S 95% ones which are nice but a bit pricey, especially as the nearest M&S is 10 miles away. My BIL bought us a mincer with sausage-maker attachment so I thought I would try making my own.

I have bought some hog casings and a gluten-free seasoning pack which has potato instead of breadcrumbs but I'm wondering what meat would be best to make low carb - high fat sausages. I think a combination of pork belly and pork shoulder would work but I'm not sure of the proportions. Has anyone tried making their own low carb sausages.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now