Joint webchat with Conservative and Labour housing minister and shadow housing minister, MONDAY 2 MARCH 1pm x

'Soft' warm-up approach to next week's Low Carb Bootcamp!

(896 Posts)
BIWI Sun 05-Jan-14 21:13:41

Official Bootcamp starts next Monday - here's the sign-up thread

But I know that lots of people want to ease themselves into it.

If you've never low carbed before, it can be quite a good idea to do this, and it can help minimise the chances of getting 'carb flu' - the withdrawal symptoms when you cut down on your carbohydrates.

So if you're interested, this where it starts!

My advice:

- make sure you've got rid of all your Christmas treats

- ... as well as other carb-heavy stuff like biscuits, cakes, etc

- start thinking about the meals that you're going to eat in w/c 13 Jan - write yourself a meal plan (and think about all your meals, including your lunches as well as family meals, etc), and then make sure you write yourself a proper shopping list

- have a look at hat you're eating on a 'typical' day, and see where you cut down/out on the carbs -breakfast is likely to be your most carb-heavy meal, so think about how you're going to cut the carbs here (clue that will mean ditching toast, cereals, fruit and fruit juice!)

- if your diet is heavily reliant on pasta and rice-based meals, start thinking now about what you're going to cook instead

- make sure you are planning meals for the whole family to eat - try as much as possible to make sure that you're all eating the same food, rather than having to cook separate stuff for you - the idea is that this is a WOE - way of eating - and not a diet. So for example, if you're planning on having meat and two veg, plus potatoes - have meat and three veg instead. No-one will die if they don't have potatoes on their plate!

- look at how much tea/coffee you're drinking; if you drink them white, you will be consuming a lot of carbs in the milk. See if you can cut the number of cups down per day. Try and drink them black or use cream instead of milk

- think about the fact that you will be starting to eat a high fat diet; if you have anything that's low fat in your fridge/cupboard, get rid of it! Butter, cheese and cream as well as olive oil are all now going to be key parts of your diet

- similarly, think about all the artificial sweeteners you're eating/drinking and get shot of them. Diet drinks are not allowed on Bootcamp, so cut them down/out as much as you can

- fruit will not be allowed on Bootcamp (for the first two weeks); if you like to snack on fruit, consider replacing it with veg, e.g. slices of cucumber and peppers

- read, read, read and read more about low carbing have a look at the resources on the Spreadsheet of Fabulousness ; there's loads of good stuff here that will help you get your head around what low carbing is all about

- and have a look here some lovely recipes to inspire you

- and here is a link to Bootcamp rules ; make sure you are familiar with them by 13/1!!! grin

But above all, come and post on here with any of your questions, concerns and suggestions!

Good luck.

dementedma Sun 05-Jan-14 22:32:51

Am easing myself in with full fat Greek yoghurt - Aldis is lovely - and hard boiled eggs for snacks. Good idea to start upping the water intake as you have to drink a ridiculous amount on boot camp and its tough to do

HumphreyCobbler Sun 05-Jan-14 22:33:15

I am looking forward to being thin <positive thinking>

Arbuthnot Sun 05-Jan-14 22:33:46

Really?! Am definitely in! grin

PseudoBadger Sun 05-Jan-14 22:34:23

My dd is 3 months on Tuesday

BIWI Sun 05-Jan-14 22:34:55

Whoknowswhocares - low carbing isn't just about weight loss, it's a much healthier way of eating. When you eat low carb, you are switching your body to burning fat. If you don't have any fat deposits in your body to burn, then all that happens is that your body will get what it needs from the fat that you are eating. You won't lose more weight. This is different from low calorie eating, where you can keep losing weight because you start to lose muscle mass, rather than fat.

Biwi - do you have a veggie sample menu? I don't eat fish. I'd really like to do the bootcamp but I'm struggling to see how it works for veggies if cheese is not an option.

HumphreyCobbler Sun 05-Jan-14 22:36:50

Congratulations PseudoBadger

gosh, my ds was 3 months last week. It has gone really quickly. I started to low carb but then got a bit sidetracked into dairy free. I then fell into the Christmas cake blush

BIWI Sun 05-Jan-14 22:37:08

lizardqueenie the Harcombe diet is similar in many ways, especially in her stage one. After that I'm not quite sure; I suspect not, as I think she advocates the inclusion of brown rice? I can't remember. But if rice is included, then it's different from Bootcamp. I have to say, though, that I have a lot of time for Zoe Harcombe. It's entirely up to you which plan you follow, but don't try and switch between them as they are different.

BIWI Sun 05-Jan-14 22:38:08

blizy yes you can use swede if you don't like celeriac

PseudoBadger Sun 05-Jan-14 22:38:49

I've made no weight loss effort yet Humphrey, in fact more likely a concerted weight gain effort grin

BIWI Sun 05-Jan-14 22:39:04

Arbuthnot you really don't have to worry about calories! You will find, once you're into low carbing after a few days, that your appetite is naturally suppressed, and you just won't be hungry/want large portions anyway. Honestly!

KnottyLocks Sun 05-Jan-14 22:40:13

Am avin a think as I have a most delicious , well earned wine belly. Thank you
, Santa.

HumphreyCobbler Sun 05-Jan-14 22:40:19

grin

I fear I may topple forward as my boobs are so huge. The day my baby's head is smaller than one of my breasts I will stand you all a pack of pork scratchings.

HumphreyCobbler Sun 05-Jan-14 22:40:51

ahem, that was to PseudoBadger <derails thread>

Arbuthnot Sun 05-Jan-14 22:41:47

Excellent! I bloody hate counting calories and weighing stuff out. Off to the other thread to stick my name on now.

BIWI Sun 05-Jan-14 22:42:10

thereinmadnesslies - it is much harder to low carb if you're a veggie, and especially if you're trying to avoid cheese. However, you may find that dairy is fine for you. Eggs are going to be your friend!

Rose Elliot has written a low carb book and a book of low carb recipes, which I can really recommend.

As I'm not a vegetarian, it's more difficult for me to advise, but there are several long term low carbers (hopefully some of them will come out of the woodwork to answer you!) who might be able to help you.

ChesterDrawers Sun 05-Jan-14 22:42:17

I'm on day 5 already, as I couldn't face eating any more crap after new year. I seem to have lost 5lbs so far, which I am chuffed with but have been quite heavy on dairy and processed stuff bacon.

I've been reading the summer bootcamp threads to get me through the cravings and have picked up loads of good recipes and advice already. I've just bought the Idiot Proof Diet cookbook too after seeing it recommended somewhere.

I've found it pretty easy so far and actually think this might work for me this time...hmmm...

BIWI Sun 05-Jan-14 22:42:49

grin Humph!

BIWI Sun 05-Jan-14 22:43:59

Well done, Chester!

The great thing about low carbing, once you're through the first few days, is that it stops you being hungry and you can eat lovely food and not worry about being deprived or starved.

lizardqueenie Sun 05-Jan-14 22:44:31

Thank you! Well I think I may join you and your band of merry women. I've cut out the white stuff & at the moment can't see any point back so I'm happy to continue with a lower carb woe. I worry that phase 2 on Harcombe may be a bit too free for me and I might wobble off. Will add myself to the list when I am on laptop & not teeny tiny phone!

PseudoBadger Sun 05-Jan-14 22:45:31

Oh you just made me compare boob size to baby head size!

HumphreyCobbler Sun 05-Jan-14 22:47:01

grin

BIWI Sun 05-Jan-14 22:48:38

sybil flowers you were the one that did the work, not me!

RatherBeOnThePiste Sun 05-Jan-14 22:57:37

Hello, I did post on the other thread, I'm in. Bloody need to do something as it's getting me down, so huzzah, here we go.

Will be sloshing again grin

Kefybaby Sun 05-Jan-14 23:03:31

Starting tomorrow too! Thanks for the thread, BIWI! thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now