Week 7 - Autumn Low Carb Bootcamp - Have you tamed your inner gobbler?

(121 Posts)
BIWI Mon 21-Oct-13 07:42:51

Well, the proof will be in the low carb pudding

Come and confess all ...

Hope you have a good week.

Mine's getting off to a great start by going out this evening to see a friend I haven't seen for about 20 years, and so there will be wine involved. <sigh>

grin

toomuchicecream Tue 22-Oct-13 17:49:58

Oh no - didn't pack a big enough salad for lunch and was starving after I'd eaten so I fell into the biscuits. But on the plus side my 3 layered smoked fish terrine for Bake Off tonight is looking and tasting good - fortunately, because it's so large I'll be eating it for the rest of the week!

Oh well - tomorrow's another day. And I'm working hard on keeping the water up (and of the 3lb I'd put on on Monday, I'd lost nearly 2 by this morning - just shows how it's luck of the draw whether you weigh in at the top or bottom of a fluctuation).

bigkidsdidit Tue 22-Oct-13 19:18:26

I have a real yen for potatoes dauphinoise today. We used to have it fairly frequently with smoked fish and cabbage. I might try it with celeriac at the weekend.

I'm having a large gin but at least no cakes to watch bake off with smile

BIWI Tue 22-Oct-13 20:14:09

bigkidsdidit - it works brilliantly with celeriac. It isn't quite the same, but it's still lovely. As is celeriac boulangere and also celeriac tartiflette - recipes for both are on the recipe thread

VikingLady Tue 22-Oct-13 22:29:34

<stands up, shuffles sheepishly>

Hi, my name's VikiingLady and I'm a carby twat.

<sits down and tries to hide>

I've put on weight this week, after not really losing any. I'm having real trouble with weekends - we have to visit MIl and eat her very carby, sugary crap every Sunday (complex family reasons, absolutely no way of avoiding at the moment) and that makes me starving hungry until at least the end of Tuesday! Not to mention the booze on Sunday evening to recover.....

Will try harder. I lost tons of weight in a very short time the first time I tried this, and I know the reason it's not working well, but I'm sick of being fat!

whodunnit Tue 22-Oct-13 23:58:21

my last post was daft - my carbs have crept up to 50g per day, so I am now cuttingthem down. My nut consumption also rose as my planning fails and I grab food on the go. I am trying harder this week.

CrabbySmallerBottom Wed 23-Oct-13 00:06:14

Viking ideally you could explain to your MIL and just take some low carb food to eat. Failing that, I'd lie through my teeth, claim to have developed a tummy bug or IBS or something, and use that as an excuse to pick at your food/leave the carby bits and escape to the loo for regular sessions on MN on your phone. wink

captainmummy Wed 23-Oct-13 09:05:26

Crabby grin !
Bigkids - I do a turnip daupinoise which is lovely - not turnippy at all, just silky and creamy. I don't actually like celeriac very much, so don't tend to buy it but have lots of turnips in the garden!

bigkidsdidit Wed 23-Oct-13 09:27:06

Thanks both. I have a celeriac so will try with that this week then turnip next. Good excuse to eat lots of cream!

This morning my childminder told me how slim I was looking smile smile

Pleaseandthankyou Wed 23-Oct-13 09:30:16

Lily I have been cutting cheese etc. I think I am probably lucky to be staying the same. Maybe when I get off the medication I'll drop a dress size overnight

Please sorry its a bit tough right now, I hope there is an end date in sight for the medication. Well done you cutting out the cheese, I find that really difficult to do!

NewStartNewStory Wed 23-Oct-13 12:12:08

grin crabby

please medicine can be a right pita. Hang on in there.

I have not stood on the scales nor do i intend to. About to start hauling my ass back onto the wagon. I have got a rope attached to it and am currenting stood on a skate board being pulled along behind it making small steps back to being able to reach it. grin It might take me a while but i will get there. Seriously shattered from my adventures (slept virtually 24hrs straight blush ) but feeling far more relaxed and ready to kick life into touch.

nappyaddict Wed 23-Oct-13 12:36:16

Right I need to get back to low carbing properly.

I'm 63.9kg (I weigh myself in kgs because my scales will go up in 0.1 increments of a kg but it only does whole pounds)

I did bootcamp a while back and did really well on it. However I started sneaking in bits of pasta, bits of potato and was still losing weight. Gradually I was sneaking in more and more and you guessed it, started putting weight back on!!

I do find I still have to have a tiny bit of rice with curry but I have literally 1 tablespoonful and we only have curry once a week. With bolognese and chilli I find now I make it with really chunky veg and a salad on the side I'm not missing the pasta/rice component.

BIWI Do you know what the carb value is for dried dates? Are they low carb or not?

nappyaddict Wed 23-Oct-13 12:37:20

Sorry that should say undried dates.

BIWI Wed 23-Oct-13 12:59:19

74.97g carbs per 100g nappyaddict!

nappyaddict Wed 23-Oct-13 13:15:09

Oh my good god! Maybe not then. I thought 26.9g per 100g was bad enough!!

BIWI Wed 23-Oct-13 13:22:11

Willie I thought about sending that link to my various relatives who panic about my diet - but being the BBC they've hedged it around with all sort of conflicting points of view that my rellys would be bound to focus on instead!

captainmummy Wed 23-Oct-13 14:55:58

Willie - I saw that article on my news app; think it was originally in the Guardian!

googoogoggles Wed 23-Oct-13 15:40:08

Lovely Willie - please do not drop me off spreadsheet next week as I'm away again and I want to weigh myself on my home scales, despite their rather temperamental nature. If it helps your calcs, fine to put me down as sts again (okay, that may be a spot of wishful thinking on my part!)
I won't be checking in for a bit again but I hope everyone's doing generally okay.
Virtual tug on newstart's rope to haul her back on wagon
Welcome to de-lurkers and starters
Think this is a tricky time with carb creep – know I personally need to cut out the nuts and Total yoghurt and wine but it's tricky when I'm away with work (I often resort to nuts just so I can eat something that's not bread-based), then I'm away with family (in the land of the clotted cream though, so that's a positive).
Still trying though and plan to be back on Bootcamp (or uber camp) w/c 3rd November for the run in....

captainmummy Thu 24-Oct-13 08:05:34

willie - there is another low-carb = good, low-fat = bad article in the Mail today (I don't read it, it came up on my news app!)

We are going mainstream!!!

no prob googoo

captain i think people are definitely coming round to the idea that sugar in particular and other 'obvious' carbs are not so good - will probably take a while to rehabilitate saturated fats like butter though sadly!

CrabbySmallerBottom Thu 24-Oct-13 09:50:04

Here is the source article in the British Medical Journal - very impressive to send to your rellies! wink

www.bmj.com/press-releases/2013/10/22/observations-saturated-fat-not-major-issue

CrabbySmallerBottom Thu 24-Oct-13 09:51:57

Actually that was the press release, sorry. Here's the article...

www.bmj.com/content/347/bmj.f6340

thanks crabby - this is interesting from the press release:

"a JAMA study revealed that a “low fat” diet showed the greatest decrease in energy expenditure, an unhealthy lipid pattern, and increased insulin resistance (a precursor to diabetes) compared with a low carbohydrate and low glycaemic index (GI) diet."

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now