Paleo people - I have some Qs for you.

(56 Posts)
JimmyCorkhill Sun 20-Oct-13 16:42:08

I have read Gary Taubes 'The Diet Delusion' and spent many an hour reading the success stories on 'Mark's Daily Apple' site. I really like the sound of this way of eating and did give it a sort of go before I got pregnant. I'm currently doing Slimming World because I know it works for me but I am eating loads of carbs and eek sweeteners. I want to become primal once I am happy with my weight because I want to get away from the diet = weight loss idea and move to a diet = energy way of life.

So, my questions are:
1) If processed carbs/sugars are responsible for weight gain, how come some people can happily eat this way and stay slim? (Not talking about exercise addicts/people who track their food)

2) In 'The Diet Delusion' it basically said to stop eating processed foods but on here and other sites I see people counting their carb intake. Is this just a hangover from doing diets? I want to stop all this counting malarkey and just eat.

3) Does anyone eat this way successfully in Britain with a young family?

Thank you smile

BerylsDailyKumquat Tue 26-Nov-13 09:01:53

Thanks. I am slim and quite active, and am reading The Perfect Health Diet (which has a foreword by Mark Sissons) and they say potatoes are healthy and fine. I might try small amounts and see how I get on. Have had a cold, left over spanish omelette for breakfast and am just off to a Step class now - am feeling positive and determined this morning smile

RawCoconutMacaroon Tue 26-Nov-13 07:13:56

Potato- well, it depends. If you are slim, active and don't react to them (joint pains, stomach pain or bloat), then probably ok in small amounts.

BUT, no not at this stage! You need to cut them out (and pretty much all starchy carbs), at first, and turn a few months down the line you can experiment with adding things back into your diet.

Good luck today!

BerylsDailyKumquat Mon 25-Nov-13 17:34:19

Argghhh! Due to a totally unexpected surprise event beyond my control (my lovely friends whisked me out for a belated birthday treat which involved pink champagne and afternoon cream tea!!) my start date has been rescheduled to tomorrow blush Although I think today's indulgence was a lovely way to mark the occasion!

I'm a little bit confused about potatoes - are they ok or not??

JimmyCorkhill Mon 25-Nov-13 13:25:54

Hope it's going well Beryl wink

BerylsDailyKumquat Sun 24-Nov-13 16:56:46

Thanks for the tips - I'm resuming my efforts as of tomorrow...Attempting sugar cold turkey!

RawCoconutMacaroon Sun 24-Nov-13 09:54:11

What sargasso said - eat fat, reduce sugar cravings.

Also, you may (initially at least) need to cut carbs very low, to level your blood sugar and allow your metabolism to get off the carb-insulin spike-blood sugar crash-craving-carb... Roundabout.

If you are eating enough fat/calories and still having intense cravings, try cutting carbs to 20g or less total carbs for 5days to a week. And be warned, you are likely to get "carb flu", a few days of withdrawal symptoms, but at the end of that, you should not be craving sweet carby foods. You can then increase veg and fruit carbs a bit, to find your tolerance (how much you can eat before it starts to affect your blood sugar in such a way that it sets off the craving cycle). Unless you are very active, that is likely to be under 100g total carbs a day - for weight loss I'd suggest a target of around 70g a day or less.

There is no need to count carbs once you get going, but initially it's a good idea to learn what a portion of say, 5g or 10g carb of different foods looks like.

saragossa2010 Sun 24-Nov-13 08:57:23

If you want to get rid of sugar cravings there are various ways and it will take a few days:-
1. Don't have those foods in the house
2. Force yourself to have 3 healthy meals a day and have your sugar snacks after meals (radiantrecovery website has tips on this) then later ditch the after meal sugars. Try not to have snacks.
3. Get to bed early
4. Perhaps try chronimum tablets and glutamine powder in water which supposedly stops sugar cravings although I am not a great fan of unnatural powders.

Once you are off sugar you can stay off as it's just a habit.

other sites worth looks at are paleohacks and also reddit keto - put those terms into google and they will come up (and mark's daily apple as mentioned above).

In coming off sugar don't try to reduce calories or fast. Start with 3 regular healthy meals with lots of good animal fat. Fat is actually the key for those who want to lose weight and eat well too - animal fat stops you snacking on other things. It's a magic formula. It is quite hard to get very fatty bacon and meat these days as all the shops market their low fat products and cut it off.

BerylsDailyKumquat Sat 23-Nov-13 17:22:08

Jimmy I haven't completely given up, but then again I haven't been overly successful either! I just can't shake off the sugar cravings - I do ok(ish) during the week, but then Friday night arrives and I feel I deserve a treat so the wine, chocolate and snacks come out! I know that I really need to give it a proper go in order to get over the cravings and kick the sugar properly...but it's easier said than done in my case. How do other people manage it??

Rollermum Fri 22-Nov-13 22:28:11

I'm very sold on paleo / primal but struggle with dieting behaviour as an overhang of years of diets!

I really recommend Well Fed and Well Fed 2 - paleo recipes that are lovely. Much nicer and more doable than Mark Sisson's cookbooks. Also Well Fed has a great batch cooking method which actually works.

I am transitioning to paleo slowly - as breastfeeding and don't want to do anything drastic. I aim to do a Whole 30 at some point. The Whole 30 approach is strict but that suits me more at first when battling cravings. I tend to bend the 80 / 20 rule too far!

Good luck!

JimmyCorkhill Fri 22-Nov-13 22:13:12

Here it is

Thanks Saragossa2010, so true about portion size and wine hides glass behind laptop.

RawCoconutMacaroon Fri 22-Nov-13 20:48:09

sad,I suck at tech! I really must get one of my DC to show me how to link from iPhone...

RawCoconutMacaroon Fri 22-Nov-13 20:45:26

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/5-primal-superfoods-for-fertility-and-pregnancy/#axzz2lPQRV6YU

Not sure if this will live link from my phone, but the archive on his website is searchable, if you search "pregnancy" "breast feeding" or whatever else you are interested in, you'll find lots of good info. The above article is really good.

giraffeseatpineapples Fri 22-Nov-13 18:55:50

Hi not specifically paleo but this obstetrician reccomends excluding wheat and sugar. I used the book a bit in pregnancy it is a bit airy fairy but shows that you could adopt some aspects of paleo during pregnancy, possibly with benefits www.gentlebirthmethod.com/birth/body-physical-preparation2/nutritional-guidelines/

SeeYouNT Fri 22-Nov-13 18:25:05

thanks rawcoconut

do you have any links?

RawCoconutMacaroon Fri 22-Nov-13 18:16:41

Seeyou, why delay? There is even MORE reason to eat some form of paleo/low carb now you are pregnant! Ditching the high carb processed stuff now and eating really well will be a great start for your baby, and breast milk from mothers on a grain free low carb diet has been shown to be nutritionally superior (because almost by default if you cut out grains and lower carbs, your diet will have more fats, protein and vitamins). I have been pregnant (at age 42!) and bf while eating this way.

The way we (society) eat today is neither healthy or natural - so don't be afraid to make changes now if you want to!

I should be on commission for mark Sissons, grin, once again I'm recommending his free blog "Marks Daily Apple" as a good, sensible and well written source if information - I'm pretty sure if you look on the blogs archive section he has written a number of articles about pregnancy, bf and child weaning (his articles usually link to scientific papers on each subject too).

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

SeeYouNT Fri 22-Nov-13 15:55:49

this is really interesting, my friend does paleo and swears by it

i am thinking of trying it but am 19 weeks pregnant atm so will wait till after babys born.

saragossa2010 Fri 22-Nov-13 15:48:27

This is how people in the UK ate, even people on low incomes before processed foods came along. Herrings were a staple for many. So were kippers and other fish, onions, liver etc etc. This was how people ate before most people got fat. Sadly they probably did quite a bit of skipping meals/intermittent fasting when money rang out before Friday too.

On this
"So, my questions are:
1) If processed carbs/sugars are responsible for weight gain, how come some people can happily eat this way and stay slim? (Not talking about exercise addicts/people who track their food)"

Whatever you eat if you eat fewer calories than you expend you don't put on weight. There are plenty of Parisians living on cigarettes, coffee and chocolate. It doesn't make you happy or healthy but some keep their weight down in those ways. Not good for them but they do.

"2) In 'The Diet Delusion' it basically said to stop eating processed foods but on here and other sites I see people counting their carb intake. Is this just a hangover from doing diets? I want to stop all this counting malarkey and just eat."

I don't count anything. I just eat normal foods or what I regard as normal (i.e not processed foods).

"3) Does anyone eat this way successfully in Britain with a young family?"
Yes, it is how most families ate until 50 y ears ago. In WWII people grew their food and bred rabbits for meat and no sugar was to be had. It is how man has eaten for millions of years. As for the cost issue many people eat much more than they should . If you don't eat out and avoid coffee bars and other places that burn through your money, it's not that expensive. Plenty of people if they are lucky enough to get an allotment grow their own veg and you can pick up veg quite cheaply. We eat a lot of raw swede for example. A roast chicken can last quite a few meals. Toddlers and babies eat what they are given so those with a young family find it easiest of anyone to have the family eat like this. It is teenagers used to junk food who are harder to change.
If you drink only tap water as I do you save a lot of money too. No tea or coffee or alcohol. Again after world war II plenty of families had only tea as coffee was too expensive and no one ever had wine as it cost too much. We forget how much we now have that is taken for granted which never used to be regarded as essential.

JimmyCorkhill Thu 21-Nov-13 11:36:48

Oh no, it's early days. You're bound to make slip ups until you get used to it. Have you stuck it out or given up?

BerylsDailyKumquat Sun 10-Nov-13 20:34:10

Struggling! Was doing really well, had eggs for breakfast then tuna mayo salad for lunch, but then stupidly had a slice of birthday cake, then went out to some fireworks where I had some treacle toffee blush then a glass of wine offered by the host - I'm clearly officially crap!!

JimmyCorkhill Sat 09-Nov-13 18:31:15

Good luck smile
Keep us posted!

RawCoconutMacaroon Sat 09-Nov-13 16:23:10

Good luck! smile

BerylsDailyKumquat Sat 09-Nov-13 16:09:50

Well I'm all set to start tomorrow, although I have been making some gradual changes recently too. I've been rereading my copy of The Perfect Health Diet, which is basically paleo but with a bit more fruit and allows rice and potatoes. That's what I'll be aiming for - no grains, so sugar, no processed crap. Wish me luck...!!

JimmyCorkhill Sun 03-Nov-13 19:06:08

I'm going to read my Gary Taubes 'The Diet Delusion' book again (eek - it's massive and full of hard words!) to remind me of the science.

I'm also very drawn to this site 100 Days of Real Food as it seems to be a less intensive move from eating crap to eating no processed food.

SolidGold Sat 02-Nov-13 18:34:57

Jimmy, I'm watching your thread, as I'd like to get away from dieting and counting anything. I'm trying Paleo, because I react to gluten and I think dairy. I've tried low carb, but found it very restrictive. I could do with losing half a stone, but more than anything want to stop worrying about what I eat and just eat when I'm hungry.

JimmyCorkhill Fri 01-Nov-13 15:31:49

Thanks Raw. I hadn't even heard of some of those joints before blush

I don't know what's stopping me really. I totally believe the science behind this way of eating.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now