Paleo people - I have some Qs for you.

(56 Posts)
JimmyCorkhill Sun 20-Oct-13 16:42:08

I have read Gary Taubes 'The Diet Delusion' and spent many an hour reading the success stories on 'Mark's Daily Apple' site. I really like the sound of this way of eating and did give it a sort of go before I got pregnant. I'm currently doing Slimming World because I know it works for me but I am eating loads of carbs and eek sweeteners. I want to become primal once I am happy with my weight because I want to get away from the diet = weight loss idea and move to a diet = energy way of life.

So, my questions are:
1) If processed carbs/sugars are responsible for weight gain, how come some people can happily eat this way and stay slim? (Not talking about exercise addicts/people who track their food)

2) In 'The Diet Delusion' it basically said to stop eating processed foods but on here and other sites I see people counting their carb intake. Is this just a hangover from doing diets? I want to stop all this counting malarkey and just eat.

3) Does anyone eat this way successfully in Britain with a young family?

Thank you smile

RawCoconutMacaroon Sun 24-Nov-13 09:54:11

What sargasso said - eat fat, reduce sugar cravings.

Also, you may (initially at least) need to cut carbs very low, to level your blood sugar and allow your metabolism to get off the carb-insulin spike-blood sugar crash-craving-carb... Roundabout.

If you are eating enough fat/calories and still having intense cravings, try cutting carbs to 20g or less total carbs for 5days to a week. And be warned, you are likely to get "carb flu", a few days of withdrawal symptoms, but at the end of that, you should not be craving sweet carby foods. You can then increase veg and fruit carbs a bit, to find your tolerance (how much you can eat before it starts to affect your blood sugar in such a way that it sets off the craving cycle). Unless you are very active, that is likely to be under 100g total carbs a day - for weight loss I'd suggest a target of around 70g a day or less.

There is no need to count carbs once you get going, but initially it's a good idea to learn what a portion of say, 5g or 10g carb of different foods looks like.

BerylsDailyKumquat Sun 24-Nov-13 16:56:46

Thanks for the tips - I'm resuming my efforts as of tomorrow...Attempting sugar cold turkey!

JimmyCorkhill Mon 25-Nov-13 13:25:54

Hope it's going well Beryl wink

BerylsDailyKumquat Mon 25-Nov-13 17:34:19

Argghhh! Due to a totally unexpected surprise event beyond my control (my lovely friends whisked me out for a belated birthday treat which involved pink champagne and afternoon cream tea!!) my start date has been rescheduled to tomorrow blush Although I think today's indulgence was a lovely way to mark the occasion!

I'm a little bit confused about potatoes - are they ok or not??

RawCoconutMacaroon Tue 26-Nov-13 07:13:56

Potato- well, it depends. If you are slim, active and don't react to them (joint pains, stomach pain or bloat), then probably ok in small amounts.

BUT, no not at this stage! You need to cut them out (and pretty much all starchy carbs), at first, and turn a few months down the line you can experiment with adding things back into your diet.

Good luck today!

BerylsDailyKumquat Tue 26-Nov-13 09:01:53

Thanks. I am slim and quite active, and am reading The Perfect Health Diet (which has a foreword by Mark Sissons) and they say potatoes are healthy and fine. I might try small amounts and see how I get on. Have had a cold, left over spanish omelette for breakfast and am just off to a Step class now - am feeling positive and determined this morning smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now