Insulin Resistance Diet

(230 Posts)
ElbowPrincess Sat 19-Oct-13 10:24:33

Is there anyone else doing this? I didnt know where to put this thread, as even though its lower carb, its not ketogenic. Hope it's ok to have here! Ive tried really low carb (less than 30g a day) and I just couldnt sustain it sad even though I love all the science behind it. So I am giving this a go instead.

Here's the book

Basically, its a diet for those who have insulin resistance. If you can answer yes to 3 or more of the following, you probably have it ....

If you are in the obese BMI catagory or above
If you store weigth mainly around the tummy area
You have PCOS
Your tummy measures 35 inches or more (40 inches for men)
Depression
Hypoglycemia
Brain fog
Skin tags in the neck area, underarms & chest
Dark skin patches in the arm pits, between thighs, neck etc
Carb, especially sugar, cravings
Sleepiness after a meal
Poor sleep at night

So, how the diet works - you balance your carbs with protein. No more than 30g of carbs per meal (15g for snacks) paired with at LEAST 15g of protein. You can eat as much protein as you like though, thats just the minimum to balance the carbs. 3 meals a day, 2 snacks (plus extra veg/proetin snacks whenever, if you are hungry). Carbs must be 2 hours apart. A typical day would probably look like this ...

Breakfast - 30g Carbs, 15g (or more) protein, as much veg as you like.

Snack - 15g carbs, 7g protein, as much veg as you like.

Lunch - 30 g C, 15g P, veg

Snack - 15g C, 7g P, veg

Dinner - 30g C, 15g P, unlimited veg.

So a max of 120g of carbs in any day, spaced 2 hours apart.

Now, this is where it differs from the usual low carb diet .... dairy, pulses, legumes and nuts count as protein not carbs. So a glass of milk will balance out a slice of wholegrain toast. Beans (no added sugar) would balance out a small baked potato. Fruit are carbs (apart from apples, pears, cherries, grapefruit, those ase classed as already balanced), potato & corn are carbs plus all your pasta, rice, bread etc.

Still with me? grin Ive no idea if this diet will work, this thread is just to document my progress and see what happens. Would love others to join in too!

HerdyHerdwick Fri 26-Sep-14 11:11:09

Not sure if anyone is still interested in this thread, but I thought I'd give another update as it's been quite some time, and I've now been following this eating plan for 11 months.

I'm having no issues at all with binge eating. I can't remember when I last binged, but it was many months ago.
Very rarely, I get the urge to binge but the urge passes within about 5 seconds. It's a bit like my desire to smoke raises its head every so often. I gave up smoking 10 years ago and every so often I still get the urge for a cigarette, but it's fleeting. Same with the desire to binge.
I think the reason this helped me was that I tried to NOT focus on weight loss as my main goal this time. I focused as much as I could on improving my health, with weight loss being a welcome 'side effect'.

On the subject of weight, I'm at my goal weight. I eat pretty much whatever I want to, just keeping in mind portion sizes when I'm eating simple carbs. I've followed the plan when eating out, on holiday, even on two cruises, a work trip to Italy etc. I can follow it for the rest of my life.

Other benefits are much more even moods, seriously reduced menopause symptoms, loads of energy. My skin is clearer and even the wrinkles seem to have reduced a bit - I think sugar was wreaking havoc with my skin fo ryears.
My bloods are normal. I now have normal BP and have come off my medication.

Best of luck to anyone who decides to give this a try, especially those with insulin resistance.

Cocoaone Wed 18-Jun-14 15:32:41

I'm still keen to do this properly - but as usual, struggle with planning my meals!
I work full time and have a 4 year old, so quick and easy is the order of the day. I've been eating those 9 seed bar things for breakfast, and trying to snack on fruit with nuts, but I've not quite cracked main meals yet. Doesn't help that I'm not a big meat eater, so carbs are my go-to choice.

I definitely don't feel as hungry and 'out of control' when I've eaten a balanced meal though.

miffy49 Tue 17-Jun-14 18:45:31

Yes, me too. Theres only been low carb that has brought my BG down. I do light weights too. Can't go too mad on the exercise front as I have FMS.

I assume its the more complex carbs that they favour? I'm not sure how I would really increase my carbs much as I don't much like the gluten free carbs and the ingredients always read like a chemical formula! I'm trying carb re-feeding once a week at the moment to break a stall but I struggle to find something I like to add back. I cant eat potatoes due to my arthritis so they are out too. Might invest in the full book after pay day!

HerdyHerdwick Tue 17-Jun-14 16:41:45

Thank you miffy. Actually with regard to the balancing, I just eyeball my carb portions and make sure I'm eating an appropriate amount of protein in a similar way. If I'd had to weigh and measure everything I'd have gone mad and surely failed on it! Because the book's written by American authors a lot of the carb serving sizes are measured in cups. I used them at first for the carbs, but after a week or two I knew what a 30g amount of rice or pasta etc looked like.

I should also have added in my post that I did have issues with Insulin Resistance when I started this. It may not work as well for someone who doesn't.

miffy49 Tue 17-Jun-14 15:41:59

You've done really well!

I keep coming back to this thread as I downloaded a sample of this book but it sounded fiddly to manage with all the balancing. You seem to be achieving it. I'd be interested to hear if theres any of the others doing it and how they are coping.

HerdyHerdwick Tue 17-Jun-14 15:19:04

I thought I'd pop back in and update, for anyone who may be interested.

It's now been 7.5 months since I started this. I'm still following it, feel fantastic and hardly recognise myself from a year ago. I've got tons of energy, sleeping really well, no real peri menopause symptoms to speak of, no mood swings, no cravings. I had my bloods done again at the beginning of June and my GP is very pleased, all was absolutely normal including cholesterol and no pre-diabetes evident now. I've lost 50 pounds.

I have a history of disordered eating, and when I started this I was having therapy to help with it, but I also needed to lose a lot of weight as my weight was negatively impacting on my health.
so how I had to approach this was not by framing it as a diet,but by focusing on the other health benefits it would bring, pretty much ignoring weight loss. So I focused on how much more energetic I feel, how much better I feel emotionally etc, rather than the number on the scale This wouldn't have worked for me if I'd thought of it as a diet.

I eat whatever I want, I just make sure to eat protein with carbs and balance the carbs. So, clearly there is some restriction in that I can't eat as many carbs as I used to want to - but I feel tons better for reducing the amounts I'm consuming. I eat normal food, nothing is forbidden, and a biggie for me personally is that eating out is easy on this plan too. I've travelled on holiday and business and been able to follow it without any problems, so for me it really does work.

Cocoaone Thu 05-Jun-14 20:22:07

Can I join you all?

I bought a blood glucose monitor a couple of months back as I was having blood sugar issues (cravings, very low hypo type symptoms). My level upon waking was around 5.4, which was a lot higher than when I had monitored about 5 years previously (recurrent thrush) - my level had been about 3.4!

I stopped monitoring it for a while. Started again a week ago and my morning fasting level is now between 6.2 and 6.7. I need to nip this in the bud! I'm 30, a few pounds overweight, about 11st 1 at 5'5". I'd love to be back under 10 stone, and stop worrying about getting diabetes. I've also got high cholesterol (about 7.3) which runs in the family, so I'm wary of eating too much fat.

Off to buy the book (apologies for the essay!)

ghosthunter Tue 27-May-14 22:41:24

Thanks EvertthingIsAwesome. I will give your list a try.

EverythingIsAwesome Tue 27-May-14 17:41:19

I can share what I have eaten today, if that is any help?

Breakfast - toast x 2 slices (hovis seeded, 13g carb per slice) with 2 eggs scrambled

Snack - babybel cheese, 9Bar (balanced seed bars, delicious!)

Lunch - small jacket potato, tuna mayo, salad

Snack - ham slices

Dinner - Breaded fish (19g carbs) veg, 2 small new potatoes (13g carbs)

Snack will be 3 crispbreads (9g carbs) & pate

ghosthunter Tue 27-May-14 09:33:21

Hi ladies. I have been reading this thread on and off for some time now and have finally got round to buying the book. Not sure if I am getting thick in my old age but i can understand the principle of linking, but am struggling to put it into practice in as much as meals and what to eat.

I really want to get into this way of eating as i recognise so many symptoms, but just cannot get my head around it. Any advice or meal ideas would be very greatly appreciated.

EverythingIsAwesome Sun 25-May-14 19:26:46

Day 3, dropped a couple of pounds already and feeling great, mood lifting, energy levels rising.

EverythingIsAwesome Thu 22-May-14 17:28:07

Time I got back into this, my health is terrible just now sad

JemimaJones Thu 06-Mar-14 11:50:52

Has everyone stopped or just doing sooooo well!!

HerdyHerdwick Sat 01-Mar-14 12:09:03

So today was my weigh day - I only weigh once a month because of my food issues.
I've lost another 4lbs in February.
I don't even care that much about the weight loss, I've seen such an improvement in how I feel, my energy level etc.

so pleased that elbowprincess started this thread and reminded me about the IR diet!

Jinty64 Sun 23-Feb-14 15:55:42

I am planning to get back on track tomorrow. Herdy I would be more than happy with 20lbs in 3 months.

DennyDifferent Sun 23-Feb-14 14:10:55

I got the book last weekend and put off reading it, so glad I found this thread!! I recognise so many of the symptoms of IR, and I am fed up of them. I don't want to get used to feeling this way. If I have a very high carb meal I feel so depressed after and its not guilt, its definitely something chemical going on inside. So got my big shop to do later today, will look through the book and back through the meals you have all so helpfully posted and make a meal plan.

Just another thought, I noticed that some other posters have mentioned intuitive eating. I too read up on this and thought it sounded great but I think that with my PCOS and possible IR that my intuition isn't enough to decide what I should be eating. I think I need to think of my food more as medicine, I need a little prescription. I wouldn't intuitively medicate myself for anything else, I would follow the advice of the medical professionals. Just thinking aloud there really.

Anyway will definitely be posting here as a way to track progress!

HerdyHerdwick Wed 19-Feb-14 15:20:13

Thank you sid. grin
Can't take much credit because its actually been easy this time. blush.
I'll post another update after I've done my monthly weigh in on 1st March.

Is anyone else still doing this?

SidandAndyssextoy Tue 04-Feb-14 23:21:00

Good luck, chocolate!

And way to go, Herdy. I'm green with envy at your fantastic weightloss.

ChocolateBiscuitCake Tue 04-Feb-14 13:46:01

i am inspired!

I have the book and have started today.

So far:

Breakfast:
2 x low carb toast (7g carb in total) + 2 eggs (12g protein)

Snack:
Apple & small handful of nuts

Lunch:
Spelt cracker (8.6g carb) + homemade smoked salmon pate (smoked salmon, cream cheese, lemon)

So far I am making much more of an effort to drink more water…

This is way more than I would normally eat in a day so far so I will be intrigued!

HerdyHerdwick Sun 02-Feb-14 11:18:59

Well I'm here with my monthly update.

Yesterday was my weigh day and I've now lost 20lbs. Some may think that's slow going over 3 months but I am very happy with it. I'm trying not to get too hung up on what the scales say and am watching how my clothes fit. I do need to lose about another 40lbs but I'm eating food I really enjoy, I'm not hungry and know that I can continue eating like this.

My binge eating is under control too - I'm just not getting those cravings or feeling deprived eating like this.
Still feeling really good, less mood swings, definitely less of the perimenopausal stuff I was dealing with.

ChocolateBiscuitCake Wed 29-Jan-14 20:55:44

Elbow - out of interest, what is your total weight loss so far?

Jinty64 Tue 28-Jan-14 13:34:20

That's great Sid. I'm a bit off course at the moment. I have a broken elbow and injured knee which, like everything else, affects my eating! Will be back on track soon. I had been doing so well, swimming most days ect. Still, could have been worse smile

SidandAndyssextoy Sat 25-Jan-14 12:08:04

Since Christmas I have more or less stopped eating wheat - possibly a wholemeal pitta once a week? I've lost 8lbs since then. Wow.

ElbowPrincess Mon 20-Jan-14 15:56:55

Had too much sugar at the weekend, I can still feel myself feeling weird after it. Lesson learnt.

SidandAndyssextoy Wed 15-Jan-14 21:59:11

That's brilliant, Jinty! I've lost 5lbs in three months. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now