Insulin Resistance Diet

(229 Posts)
ElbowPrincess Sat 19-Oct-13 10:24:33

Is there anyone else doing this? I didnt know where to put this thread, as even though its lower carb, its not ketogenic. Hope it's ok to have here! Ive tried really low carb (less than 30g a day) and I just couldnt sustain it sad even though I love all the science behind it. So I am giving this a go instead.

Here's the book

Basically, its a diet for those who have insulin resistance. If you can answer yes to 3 or more of the following, you probably have it ....

If you are in the obese BMI catagory or above
If you store weigth mainly around the tummy area
You have PCOS
Your tummy measures 35 inches or more (40 inches for men)
Depression
Hypoglycemia
Brain fog
Skin tags in the neck area, underarms & chest
Dark skin patches in the arm pits, between thighs, neck etc
Carb, especially sugar, cravings
Sleepiness after a meal
Poor sleep at night

So, how the diet works - you balance your carbs with protein. No more than 30g of carbs per meal (15g for snacks) paired with at LEAST 15g of protein. You can eat as much protein as you like though, thats just the minimum to balance the carbs. 3 meals a day, 2 snacks (plus extra veg/proetin snacks whenever, if you are hungry). Carbs must be 2 hours apart. A typical day would probably look like this ...

Breakfast - 30g Carbs, 15g (or more) protein, as much veg as you like.

Snack - 15g carbs, 7g protein, as much veg as you like.

Lunch - 30 g C, 15g P, veg

Snack - 15g C, 7g P, veg

Dinner - 30g C, 15g P, unlimited veg.

So a max of 120g of carbs in any day, spaced 2 hours apart.

Now, this is where it differs from the usual low carb diet .... dairy, pulses, legumes and nuts count as protein not carbs. So a glass of milk will balance out a slice of wholegrain toast. Beans (no added sugar) would balance out a small baked potato. Fruit are carbs (apart from apples, pears, cherries, grapefruit, those ase classed as already balanced), potato & corn are carbs plus all your pasta, rice, bread etc.

Still with me? grin Ive no idea if this diet will work, this thread is just to document my progress and see what happens. Would love others to join in too!

ElbowPrincess Mon 11-Nov-13 08:19:05

My tummy is definitely deflating! Thats where I store most of my excess weight, so I am very glad smile

wundawoman Mon 11-Nov-13 08:30:59

Very interesting, keep up the good work!!

giraffeseatpineapples Mon 11-Nov-13 12:59:17

Brill, well done!

ElbowPrincess Mon 11-Nov-13 15:58:06

Anyone else trying it?

HerdyHerdwick Tue 12-Nov-13 18:28:20

Just a quick check in from me.
I'm doing really well.
I feel great, lots of energy, no mood swings and no cravings.
I don't feel deprived at all and no binges.
I'm not even thinking about weight loss, just focusing on my health generally and how much better I feel.

wundawoman Wed 13-Nov-13 00:27:48

Have ordered the book, will start after I've read it (ie. soon!!) grin

SidandAndyssextoy Wed 13-Nov-13 12:07:00

I'm feeling very depressed today. A month into diet and exercise I've lost no weight. I tested my fasting blood this morning and it's 6.2, which puts me firmly into the pre-diabetic range. I have spent a lot of time crying and feeling furious at my hormones. But I need to work out just how to lose weight. I need to shed four stones. At least I'm getting into the exercise habit and enjoying it.

ElbowPrincess Wed 13-Nov-13 17:54:43

Is that following this woe Sid? sad

ElbowPrincess Thu 14-Nov-13 14:41:58

Thursday weigh-in, another 3lbs. 10lbs total now smile

giraffeseatpineapples Fri 15-Nov-13 16:01:51

Elbow thats great!

Sorry your feeling depressed sid, prob varies from person to person but taking a magnesium supplement seems to have a positive effect on my mood and help with weight loss. Hope weight loss kicks in soon.

I have been exercising for 20 minutes in the morning which is working out quite well. Going to join a xmas shred challenge on weightloss thread if anyone else is up for it

The book finally arrived at my library so looking forward to reading it once the children are in bed. On my 4th school run of the day in half an hour (5th if you count the one where I got the time wrong and left coffee with friends an hour early - doh)

My next mission is going to be getting into fly housekeeping. I will be slim, organised, non foggy headed and non slattern in 2010,2011,2012,2013...- 2014

ElbowPrincess Fri 15-Nov-13 17:44:01

grin you sound a lot like me giraffe!

HerdyHerdwick Sat 16-Nov-13 09:57:59

Make that 3 of us, elbow and giraffe.
As well as doing IR, I'm also really trying to get my house better organised.
I do find that my head is clearer when I'm eating this way and I have more energy - so that helps me to stick to house routines better.
Have a good weekend everyone!

giraffeseatpineapples Sat 16-Nov-13 17:32:37

Glad its not just me grin

Half way through the book, I think of all the diets I have looked into this is the book that I could give to my mum as its not too extreme. Can't really see her counting carbs though.

I met 9 of the subjective markers for IR including liver spots (am 34). I don't meet any of the major ones though because I have lost over a stone in the last year, does make me more aware that I can't regain that weight and creep up to obese. The relation to diabetes and strokes was not something I knew about either.

It is all very interesting but a bit dated in parts such as limiting to 3 egg yolks a week. Also like every one else I am hanging on to the fat is not bad message, but actually the only reason they caution that is to keep calories down so I guess if we keep calories in check in general the fat thing wont be an issue?

Have a great rest of weekend. I am going to have doritos later but will measure and add cheese and guacamole, v balanced ;) !

SidandAndyssextoy Sun 17-Nov-13 18:15:03

Hi. I was attempting the WOE but not very well owing to skim reading the book. blush But I read it thoroughly and am launching renewed efforts. My problem is I am so scared of the blood sugar thing that I don't want to eat anything... I feel I'm losing all pleasure in food. I am also a bit stressed at the book's comments about not exercising aerobically for more than 25 minutes. The classes I'm going to, and already starting to love, last an hour. It seems scarily easy to accidentally increase IR rather than reduce it. I am also rather hmm about the fat stuff, and the egg restriction is definitely based on out of date information.

Ah well, home from Zumba for balanced pot roast partridge and kale.

giraffeseatpineapples Sun 17-Nov-13 18:23:03

I think the problem is advice on diet and exercise is always changing and the book was written in 2001. it makes sense to listen to your body, if you are enjoying the class then thats really good I think?

HerdyHerdwick Sun 17-Nov-13 20:23:22

I ignored the fat stuff last time I did this. I will admit I don't eat large amounts of fat like I would if I was doing traditional low carb or primal, for example, so none of those 'coffee bombs' or whatever they're called.
But I do eat full fat cheese, eggs, avocado, cook with coconut oil, olive oil in salad dressings, butter on bread. I dont eat 'low fat' anything because it's invariably manufactured and full of crap.
That's what I did last time and I'm doing the same now.

I should also add that I don't actually count carbs. After a couple of weeks of measuring out - I use American measuring cups like in the book- potato or rice etc I find that I can judge the portion sizes, either 30g or 15g, just by looking at them.
Honestly, if I had to keep weighing/measuring/counting anything at all, I'd be pushed into 'strict diet' mode in my head and it would drive me mad and I'd end up in a binge.

One thing I do want to say is that we have to be careful with bread. The glutton in me was very surprised at how little bread you actually get for 30g, and let's not even think about 15g! I do try to not eat too much bread because I think wheat is problematic for me, but even so, our allowed serving sizes are very small!

giraffeseatpineapples Sun 17-Nov-13 21:11:21

Herdy I have found hovis wholemeal medium sliced is 15.1 g per slice so you can have two slices! My problem is its tempting once I start eating bread to forget about stocking up on veg and and protein.

HerdyHerdwick Sun 17-Nov-13 22:08:44

That's worth knowing giraffes. Is it the normal sized loaf or a small loaf? I'll pick one up tomorrow and freeze it for toast.
I find bread incredibly addictive !

borninastorm Sun 17-Nov-13 22:22:33

I was insulin resistant with an untreated low thyroid and high cholesterol. I was diagnosed Jan 2013.
I went low GI at the start of February and I've lost 3 stone.
But more than that my insulin is at a normal and healthy level, my thyroid is now normal as is my cholesterol.
It's taken me 9 months to get here but I feel like a different person - I sleep better, I've no brain fog and I can think properly for the first in years.
For me it's not been a diet, it really has been a lifestyle change and I'll never go back to how I used to eat.

borninastorm Sun 17-Nov-13 22:27:29

It took me at least 6 weeks to lose any decent amount of weight and it was 4 months before anybody noticed I'd even lost weight! Now tho all I get is "wow you look great, I didn't recognise you, how much have you lost?" So it is worth sticking with it.
Over the years I've been diagnosed with depression on and off. But after a few months of eating Low GI my depression lifted and hasn't come back. And it seems that one of the signs of insulin resistance is depression that lifts once you get your insulin under control.

giraffeseatpineapples Mon 18-Nov-13 00:11:43

borinastorm thats really interesting, have you cut anything out or is it simply balancing protein and carbs?

Herdy it's the normal 800g loaf. Its quite filling and not quite as addictive as white for me. I do feel better when I don't eat bread though.

HerdyHerdwick Mon 18-Nov-13 09:28:25

Thanks for the info griaffes. I also feel better when I don't eat bread, although I do find that restricting it to one slice or one small bread roll, a day seems to be ok.

Well done Born!

MauraFedora Mon 18-Nov-13 12:27:27

I'm halfway through the book and would love to join in.The section about genetics sent a cold chill through my heart as both sides of my family have raised BP, type 2 diabetes etc and both DH and I have very podgy waistlines and he is already on antihypertensives.

So I am kicking bulletproof coffee to the kerb and will try and link my meals until I get the hang of it ....Don't feel like weighing myself yet though blush

borninastorm Mon 18-Nov-13 13:03:07

giraffes the only thing I've cut out is sugar. I don't count carbs or fat. I replaced white carbs with brown or wholegrain carbs for every meal and I make sure my plate contains salad/veg, protein and brown/wholegrain low gi carbs at every meal.
Instead of potatoes I eat sweet potato, for rice I eat brown basmati rice, etc.
For snacks I eat fruit, low fat yoghurt and salted popcorn. I also eat a couple of squares of normal chocolate every night.
Herdy thanks smile

SidandAndyssextoy Mon 18-Nov-13 16:21:57

So good to see success stories on here, including you of course, OP.

Can I ask for ideas about protein/protein heavy snacks. I have things on oatcakes but am a bit uninspired generally and am very bad at snacking too, so need to make myself eat between meals.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now