Week 6 - Autumn Low Carb Bootcamp - and we head to the finish line!

(168 Posts)
BIWI Mon 14-Oct-13 07:29:39

Here is the Spreadsheet of Fabulousness

Hopefully the scales are moving for us all now, albeit rather more slowly than they were to start with. And this is good. Honestly!

To keep weight off, it's much better to lose it slowly and over a longer period of time. Remember, despite how people may talk about low carbing, this is not a crash diet. It's a way of eating designed to allow you to switch to fat-burning, rather than carb-burning, which will therefore allow you to lose weight - and which brings with it a myriad of other health benefits.

Please share with us your successes as well as your frustrations. Even if we're struggling, which all of us will do from time to time, and it might be galling to read that others are doing well, ultimately it's important for us all to hear the successes because it helps us to (continue to) believe that this is a WOE which can work for us.

And <channels inner Olivia> PEACE AND LOVE!

Hope you all have a good week.

Cauliflower race is amazing! I actually think its so much nicer than actual rice. Need to have a go at a 'risotto'.

Maryz Tue 15-Oct-13 14:05:31

Ok, I have missed something here - wtf is cauliflower rice?

NigellasGuest Tue 15-Oct-13 14:33:38

Hello all - I'm not weighing in but still hard at it!
I'm considering a Fat Fast......

bettybigballs Tue 15-Oct-13 14:43:03

Bleaaugghhhhh, totally fell off the wagon two weeks ago. Having a grim time of it at the minute. Starting to surface a bit and need to dust myself off, get back on the wagon and realise that eating shit food and drinking two bottles of wine a night isn't helping me cope or look after myself. Going to do a shop tomorrow and spend today planning a few meals.

Really enjoying reading the threads and catching up with everyone's progress.

StuntNun Tue 15-Oct-13 14:52:49

Maryz grate cauliflower e.g. in the food processor until it is in rice-sized pieces then stir fry or fry in butter or steam. It's great with curries. Unfortunately my DH will not ever never eat cauliflower. hmm

captainmummy Tue 15-Oct-13 14:55:10

I grate the cauli on the big-hole grater and then microwave it for a min or so.
Mashed cauli is also fab - i use it in place of mash and it is almost identical. Same texture, no cauli taste, lots of butter... grin

NigellasGuest Tue 15-Oct-13 15:49:14

the cauli rice tastes great but it STINKS!

Really?! Mine doesn't at all. I wonder why yours does? I microwave for 2-3 mins with butter.

NigellasGuest Tue 15-Oct-13 17:27:31

perhaps I should try making it again! Just seemed to smell strongly like boiled cabbage.

timidviper Tue 15-Oct-13 18:03:05

I process cauliflower to couscous texture. Melt 1oz butter in a pan and gently fry a few pine nuts until toasted, add 1 tsp turmeric then stir fry the cauliflower. When cooked add a squeeze of lemon and some chopped coriander. It is truly yum!

Nigella I find it smells less if I slightly undercook it.

Am meeting some friends tonight. Had planned to be virtuous but have had a shit day at work so will hit the gin and enjoy it smile

Agree cook it as little as possible, it won't be too hard and the smell you describe is the overcomes smell (I always get when I steam the damn stuff!)

StuntNun Tue 15-Oct-13 19:13:23

I found a sour cream salad dressing today if anyone fancies a break from vinaigrette. It was 2 tbsp sour cream, 2 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp white wine vinegar, 1 tsp Dijon mustard, salt and pepper. It whisked up to a lovely creamy dressing. You could add some garlic too if you like I can't abide raw garlic.

B: three strawberries and Greek yoghurt, three rashers of bacon and a Babybel
S: half a raspberry scone with butter (strictly in the interests of egg challenge of course blush)
L: ham salad with sour cream dressing
S: pork scratchings
D: lamb curry with wilted baby spinach

Good luck getting back on the wagon Betty!

B - scrambled egg, fried mushrooms
L - tomato soup, cheese, leftover spinach & feta bake
D - fish pie-without-the-potato, broccoli, mashed swede

BIWI Tue 15-Oct-13 20:45:06

I have been resisting cauliflower rice because I thought it would taste of cauliflower. I like cauliflower but didn't want a rice substitute that tasted of cauliflower! But it really doesn't

whodunnit Tue 15-Oct-13 21:48:23

oh mollymolly - such wondrous changes! I have a bounce in my step which is not all due to the reduced weight - just feel a bit more loose of the joints (lubricated by butter no doubt) and a bit more lively. And I noticed that my legs are no longer truly hideous - just a bit podgy now rather than the ugly back knee flabby luimps & dimples I was horrified to discover in the summer. Am also amused carrying my backpack of vegetables (bloody heavy - crisps and biscuits are much lighter alas) up the hill home, and thinking that they weigh about 7kg and that is something like the weight I have lost so far. That amuses me greatly and makes me glad to be carrying the veg, and to be able to put it down when I get home.

I was also going to report cleaner feeling teeth, but I do have meat traps between them that I have to be more careful with now. Twas never a problem with biscuits, alas and alack....

prettybird Tue 15-Oct-13 22:09:38

Sorry to ask an ignorant question but do you cook the cauliflower first or grate/process it first to make cauliflower rice? ��

toomuchicecream Wed 16-Oct-13 06:45:32

Chop it raw. I find it al oat easier than when I cook it as normal cos I just slice it into wedges it fit the food processor feeding tube rather than trying to break it into evenly sized florets.

Ohfuck - I was crowned star baker last night at my Bake Off party for my mini frittata. I was told they were very original!

captainmummy Wed 16-Oct-13 08:50:11

Well done Toomuch!

Was going to post a while ago to the poster who said it was expensive on this WOE and you've reminded me, whodunit! I find that my shopping is pretty much the same price; - once i would buy 2-3 boxes cereal (how expensive are cereals now?!!), 4 loaves bread per week (2 nice seedy ones for me, 2 white 50/50 for dc), more potatoes/rice/pasta/tins of pulses, tons of fresh fruit, more flour and sugar, cakes, biscuits, chocolate, ice cream...; as opposed to more meat (the cheaper cuts!) more cheaper veg (broccoli, cauli, cabbage, frozen) and salad in season. I still buy bread, biscuits and the other stuff for the dc, but much, much less. It does even out, I find.

CrabbySmallerBottom Wed 16-Oct-13 08:58:46

Whoo hoo we have our very own low carb star baker! flowers grin
I love the programme although we find Ruby with her trembling lip and her limpid eyes extremely annoying. Poor old Becca was robbed - they've been really hard on her throughout! I'm besotted with Kimberley - she's so smily and lovely - and think that her or Francis would both be very worthy winners.

Food yesterday
L - tuna and cheese patty with a few fried tomatoes
D - black farmer sausages with swede and brussel sprout bubble and sqeak
P - berry crumble and clotted cream.
Haven't had much of an appetite the last couple of days, which is good.

Going out for a carby twat meal tonight, unfortunately. Can't see me finding anything low-carb or remotely enjoyable in a Weatherspoons. hmm

keeponkeepinon Wed 16-Oct-13 09:54:16

Hello all, I've been lurking but would like to ask a question - has anyone found they feel low on this? The first month I felt great, was really enjoying the food and felt bright and was trending at 1lb avg loss a week. I have had CT after that first month but always get back on track Monday morning. Its whats keeping it doable for me at the mo. However, this week I just feel terrible. Had a very CT weekend but then on Monday woke up not remotely hungry at all. Had chicken salad for lunch but then was genuinely not hungry for the rest of the day. Had under 460cals and 11g carb that day. Then Tue I was the same, just had 750 cals and 18g carb. was getting a bit down last night as I have been doing a really intense cardio programme and I've not lost inches and am still floating at the same flaming weight I have since the initial weeks water loss. This morning I woke up under such a sad cloud, I feel tired and depressed and as if nothing will ever work.
I'm sorry to moan but I hate feeling like this and it makes you start to lose it a bit, even if everything you know about giving up sugar makes total sense.

NewStartNewStory Wed 16-Oct-13 11:02:17

Could it be the start of SAD? I know my mood has been much lower since the change in weather? That is a complete side step of your question I know, but i have found that a vit d suppliment has helped me with that in previous years just have to remember to take it and that is the bit that fails me, thanks for reminding me to dig my box out Err as for the specific relation to LC and mood... <hopes helpful wise people will pop up shortly>

captainmummy Wed 16-Oct-13 12:58:32

Crabby = I'm off the a weatherspoons today too; I usually have the half chicken and pass the chips to the dc. Or the chicken caesar salad is quite nice, though I've just had salad fr lunch.

keepon - I'd say SAD too - it's peeing down here, and cold and grey too. I find it very hard to get up and motivated when it's still dark! The 'not feeling ungry' is probably you getting ketogeniceally adapted, so you are fat-burning - congrats! If you are on week4/5, you will find that 'stalling' that BIWI advised about - it is very disheartening but keep on and you should find the whoosh-fairy has been overnight.

Don't go back to sugar - it is a totally false friend.

keeponkeepinon Wed 16-Oct-13 13:17:41

Thanks newstart and captain, I have been wondering about the SAD thing, it seems to have got dark in the mornings very suddenly and since then I have struggled to feel like I have woken up properly. Seriously considering a Lumie - has anyone got one and has it helped?
I think everything just gets on top of me sometimes, it feels like there's not enough hours in the day to get everything done, and run the little ones around to their activities, and fit in the exercise, and make home cooked meals....its chucking it down here and yup - I think it definitely makes you feel worse generally. Never noticed it much until this year though.
Incidentally, I wonder about the intense cardio too - I lost better in the first month without exercise! Makes you wonder...!

NewStartNewStory Wed 16-Oct-13 13:31:33

BIWI has in the past warned that exercise that might cause any inflammation can have a stalling effect and that it is a bit of a balancing act. I know for me though, the mental boost that i get from exercise is more beneficial sometimes then not doing the exercise. But equally we are told we should be able to achieve everything and be super woman who can. Fuck off, we can't we are human there is only a limited hours of the day and no one could come close to completing my daily or weekly to do tasks. hence why there is utter chaos here sometimes. Accepting that you are doing ok with achieving and doing everything is hard but better. Not got a lamp as i find the vit d suppliments sufficient and less costly

keeponkeepinon Wed 16-Oct-13 13:39:29

Hmm, where do you get your vit d from?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now