Week 4 - Autumn Low Carb Bootcamp - Focus, Focus, Focus!

(198 Posts)
BIWI Mon 30-Sep-13 07:18:49

Fingers crossed for some good results this morning!

The Spreadsheet of Fabulousness

Don't forget that it's still very common for people to experience little or no loss by week 4. If this is happening to you, and you know that you haven't cheated, then don't panic. Just keep on keeping on, and by next week (hopefully!) you will be rewarded with a loss.

The losses from that point are likely to be in the region of 1-2lbs a week (may be more if you have a lot to lose), but that will all be fat. And although I know it doesn't sound a lot, just visualise it. 2lbs is 4 packs of lard, which is a lot of fat!

If you've moved on to Bootcamp Light, make sure you're keeping an eye on how many carbs you're eating, and don't get carried away with the nuts and fruit or the alcohol.

Here's to a good week!

hazchem Mon 30-Sep-13 09:48:54

Feeling good about today after having several carbby twat days.
B) Chicken and egg
L) cheese boiled egg and avocado
s) lamb
D) Veggie curry, lamb and yoghurt.

Lavenderhoney Mon 30-Sep-13 09:51:57

Arghh! Forgot to weigh myself! Got up too early and drank coffee before remembering its weighing day! Ill do it tomorrow, hope that's ok?

Well done all the losers! And BIWI, thanks for this thread and you are not a bully, from what I have seen of your postssmile thanks

AmayaBuzzbee Mon 30-Sep-13 09:52:40

0.4lb gain for me (only), which I am quite pleased about! smile

It is TOTM, and normally I am easily around 2-3lb up from my usual weight at this time. This should hopefully mean that I will see a nice drop on the scales in a few days time, yay!

Mayonnaise is another good way of getting fat in, Ohfuck.

I'm 0.4 lb down (but I know that last Thursday I was about 1.5lb lower, so I think I am on the way down, in a fluctuating sort of way, and this Monday caught a higher fluctuation.)

I'm 3lb down over 3 weeks so I fit the 1lb off a week estimation. Its all good! Please feel proud of your not-necessarily-large losses. This is the right sort of fat that is disappearing from your body, this WOE reduces the "visceral" internal tummy and back fat and that's the worst sort of fat for your health.

My resolution today is to check I'm drinking enough water. I don't think about that so much at the weekends

A gain for me. Not surprising as have been a carby twat since Thursday.

I have decided to drop out of bootcamp. I think it's making me all or nothing with regard to eating. And I miss pulses etc. Am struggling to want the food I'm allowed. So I'm going back to what I did a few years ago which is basically no crap carbs. No wheat or sugar. I find bootcamp ok in summer but struggle otherwise. I know it will be slower weight loss but I also know it works for me.

BIWI and Wille - huge thanks for all advice and behind the scenes work. You are both fab.

And good luck to you all. I'll keep popping into see how you are going!

keeponkeepinon Mon 30-Sep-13 10:15:34

Hello all! I just found this challenge yesterday and I have been following low carb since 4th September, lost 5lb then have lost focus at the weekends (wine and susbsequent carb snaffling) but wondered if I might join the path back to happiness with you all? Starting today I am doing the strict bootcamp - perfect timing as we don't have social events (wine) coming up over next couple of weeks. My numbers:
wed sept 4th: 175lb
sep 9th: 173.6
sep 16th: 171.6
sep 23rd: 171.8
sep 30th: 171.8
So you can see how the loss has slowed and I know this is because I really lost focus after a big night out. I'm back on it, and I would love to join in if you'll let me?
Cheers all

BIWI Mon 30-Sep-13 10:22:11

Bye Buda - and good luck. I hope it works for you flowers

Thanks BIWI. thanks back at ya! I'll still see you on the C25k threads.

CrabbyBigBottom Mon 30-Sep-13 11:37:18

<<grabs Cider by the ankle and hangs on in attempt to prevent her leaving!>>

Will you at least come back and say hello? grin

starrystarryknut Mon 30-Sep-13 11:51:35

Down 1lb. Doesn't seem like much but I'll trust BIWI that this is actually as it should be. I haven't cheated at all and have lost 10lb in 3 weeks, so overall I feel like an advertisement for proving THIS WORKS! Take heart bootcampers - let's stick at it smile

emblosion Mon 30-Sep-13 11:59:03

Forgot to weigh self this morning, so will do it tomorrow. Carby twat day yesterday as was at inlaws for lunch and then had a couple of g&t's. Back on the wagon today tho.

Was wondering about ubercamp for a couple of days to try and break myself of my cheese habit....

timidviper Mon 30-Sep-13 12:08:26

Hi all, I am starting (again) today properly having just come back from my holidays. Weighed this morning and, although I have put on a few pounds while away (totally earned every one of them!), I am still 2 and a 1/2stone below this time last year. Having said that after a week of eating and drinking as a total carby twat I feel sluggish, irritable and blobby so am irrationally looking forward to eating sensibly again.

I've noticed while away that my tastebuds have changed, I no longer enjoy the sugary shit that I have craved for years, I ate a Cornetto on holiday and it was really average, I will no longer want to eat crappy ice creams having had that one. Now I just have to sort my head out as I also noticed that I still want to eat when I know I don't really need to eat, my taste buds need to tell my brain that I don't want that stuff any more!

I'm sure you have all realised this by now but, although it is tempting to look at the scales regularly and stress about the loss or lack of it, this really is a life-changing healthy way to eat and we all need to look at this long term. If I had done this short term like WW and SW I'd have given up by now as I have often had unexplained stalls or gains but looking longer term has led to 2 + 1/2 stone off. Whoopee!

Twit Mon 30-Sep-13 12:08:36

Hi all, am finally feeling ok again now smile.
Am beginning bootcamp again, as over the weekend DH cooked so I could rest up a bit and I allowed myself to relax a little bit ( not too much and nothing really baad mind).
I might come on here and list my food every day if that's ok with you all as I'm not sure I'm doing it right, although I now have my period to figure in to this, as before when I first did this bootcamp I hadn't had them back after babyTwit and I seemed to lose weight. How much if at all does it affect this woe? I've noticed a few mentions of it affecting people so am wondering how and why? I do have a major carby binge the weekend before it comes (not now obv wink) but it is this weekend and I wondered if there is anything I can do to keep my face out of the chocolate.

My goal is to comfortably wear my red skinnies at Christmas, they are about 1.5-2 inches from closing blush, is this doable do you reckon, or should I aim for something else? Originally I wanted to lose about a stone, but will go with the jeans if that's doable?
I really need a big stick as am feeling a bit down and I know what I would normally do to cheer myself up and help de-stress, but I am not doing that (and I feel like shit after anyway)
Sorry to be a memememe moany pants. sad

How about aiming for wearing something really glam and great at the christmas party Twit - it might be the red skinnies, it might be something else you haven't bought yet? Looking-fab-at-Christmas is definitely one of my motivations!

I'm really struck by people posting that the carbs they ate were really average and not worth it and now they feel sluggish/irritable. Its helpful in continuing to decide not to eat them. On energy levels: I've been noticing how I'm quite happy to run up and down the stairs to get things I've forgotten etc, in the past I used to find this a big deal. (Just about to move to a bungalow thus removing the whole issue anyway!)

timidviper Mon 30-Sep-13 12:34:29

Twit I read in a magazine recently that people who set themselves harder targets achieve more than those who set lower targets so the advice given to dieters to set easily achievable goals may not be right so I would say set those skinnies as a goal!

Back in the days when I had a challenging career I used to say to my team "If we aim for 100% and get 95 we've not hit the target but have still done brilliantly. If we aim at 80 and get it we have hit the target but haven't achieved everything we might have done" and I guess this is the same idea.

BIWIZ Mon 30-Sep-13 12:35:49

Twit - feel free to be 'me me me'! That's what these threads are all about!

Sorry you're not feeling great.

Re the periods, often the reason why you put a bit of weight back on is to do with fluid retention. You may also feel more bloated. Once that's gone, I'm sure your jeans will nearer closing!

Do you/can you do any exercise? That can often help with the whole period stuff, and would also be a useful distraction from the chocolate/biscuit tin grin

And Lily's idea is a good one!

Great post timid.

Maryz Mon 30-Sep-13 12:37:07

Right, I've just had the courage to weigh myself, having completed the first two weeks.

I can only weigh in kilos and translate, so I started on September 16th at 89.9 kilos (198 lbs) and today was 86.4 kg (190ish).

Is that possible? Have I lost 8 lbs in two weeks, and will that continue?

I have only cheated twice (apart from my two cups of coffee a day) - I had half a scone one day and a wrap for lunch with my mum as I didn't want to admit to a "faddy diet" as she would see it. I haven't felt hungry at all.

The sugar cravings are yet to disappear though.

Negroni Mon 30-Sep-13 12:52:42

Hello all, haven't been posting as got into some kind of long major sulky grump last weekend.

About 10 days ago in middle of week 2, I weighed in at my lowest for years and years. The next day my weight went up by a pound and the next day it went up by half a pound, taking me of of this lowest ever zone. For some reason well because I am ridiculous and childish this brought on a furious mood and much self sabotaging and eating of not even v delicious carbs. Example: muesli!

Not surprisingly last Monday I was up 1.5 lbs. I have been in such a sulk about this (basically my self sabotage, not my mini weight gain) that I stopped posting - so as to avoid mega whinge - and refused to put my weight on the spreadsheet. I got back on the wagon last Monday and have been good but on Friday and Saturday was involved in long planned celebrations that involved breaking the WOE.

I am back doing this, out of my sulk and will weigh in tomorrow. Cross at my self sabotaging and cross that my weight seems to be such a factor in altering my mood. (No idea why given I have blithely remained overweight for years).

On a positive (but curious note) people have started to notice my weight loss and seem to think, I have just recently lost lots of weight (in spite of only being about 2 lbs lighter than in July). I also now fit into size 12 clothes albeit in generous shops like M&S and Next, but still Still don't understand how I can get slimmer but not lose weight but I know many others talk of this mysterious phenomenon.

Cider - do you really have to leave bootcamp? V sorry to see you go sad

And sorry everyone for the epic post!

captainmummy Mon 30-Sep-13 12:58:45

It is amazing isn't it how food/weight affects our moods so much. It really shouldn't be this way.

I'm now worried that I'm eating TOO MUCH fat!!!! I do add mayo, butter etc where possible. iPads myth I added clotted cream to a couple of spoonfuls of yoghurt though.

I'm in a pretty bad place emotionally right now, but staying on the straight and narrow re eating.

BIWIZ Mon 30-Sep-13 13:10:35

I doubt it, Ohfuck!

But list out for me what you've been eating/drinking and I'll see ...

keeponkeepinon Mon 30-Sep-13 13:24:10

Just trying to read through posts up to now but its going to take some time! What does everyone think about cottage cheese on this? Yay or nay?
B: bacon, rocket leaves, mayo, cherry toms and a fried egg. Yum!
L: tuna mayo
D: mackerel in tomato sauce with rocket and feta
Does anyone test with ketostix? I did when I started and soon started testing positive. But towards the end of last week, when I had eaten really well it started testing negative - could it have been the cottage cheese or was it a sign I was using up the ketones? I can never get my head around all this!

A bit of weekend cheating and am up a few lb. Hard to say how much really, as I seem to fluctuate practically by the hour! Off to buy new scales today grin.

BIWIZ Mon 30-Sep-13 13:45:30

Cottage cheese is fine as long as:

- you buy full fat cottage cheese
- you realise that it does contain carbs (Sainsbury's is 4.8g carbs per 100g)
- you don't have a problem with dairy!

Don't bother with the ketostix. If you're drinking enough water they won't change colour anyway!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now