Post carb experiences.

(21 Posts)
Methe Mon 23-Sep-13 10:44:03

I've been low carbing for a month and have been really strict and have lost a fair amount of weight. I've consistently been in ketosis and felt fine for the first 3 weeks but last week I've been premenstrual to the extreme, far worse than I would be normally and I've had a banging headache and haven't been sleeping well.

Last night I'd had had enough of feeling shit and had a curry with half a naan, several glasses of wine and some chocolate! It knocked me out of ketosis straight away, of course. I went to bed feeling really crap emotionally and as if I'd let myself down.

Woke up this morning after a decent nights sleep, no headache. Managed a civil conversation with my husband. Feel human for the first time in a week and actually feel content.

I am going to continue with the diet as i want to lose weight but I'm wondering if we do actually need carbs to function well. It's clear that we can survive on next to no carbohydrate but is a carb up every so often necessary for wellbeing?

Anyone else found similar?

pootlebug Mon 23-Sep-13 10:49:50

I don't think being in Ketosis over a sustained period of time is necessarily desirable. Yes, it is good for quick weight loss, and to get you used to burning fat and stop craving carbs....but longer term I would want a more balanced approach - low-ish carb, but not low enough to induce ketosis. Adding berries, small amounts of other fruit in things (e.g. making celariac mash and adding in an apple for flavour), some slightly carbier veg although not the really carby stuff like sweetcorn etc, should still allow you to lose weight, albeit not as fast as in ketosis.

Methe Mon 23-Sep-13 10:58:18

I've been eating berries and and whatever veg I like anyway and the occasional handful of grapes. Just no wheat, potatoes or rice and next to no sugar (I've had the odd bit of chocolate and OBV from the fruit) MfP, when I can be bothered, says carbs normally bellow 60.

That's no as low as some I've seen I don't know how I'd raise it without reintroducing bread ect.

Vicky08 Mon 23-Sep-13 16:21:37

I've been low carbing for the last 5 weeks and in this time I've had one period which was hell. I was more pre menstral than ever and the period was a lot heavier and more painful than usual. It may just be coincidence so I'm keeping going until the next one to find out because I've also lost a good amount of weight and I want to continue.

If the next one is as bad I plan to add some carbs to my diet on the run up to the following one to see what happens.

Methe Mon 23-Sep-13 16:51:07

That's interesting, I wonder if its the same for everyone during their period. Mine hasn't actually arrived yet, I'm not looking forward to it now!

I'd certainly rather eat carbs in that part of my cycle that feel like I have felt over the last few days. Maybe low carb 3 weeks of 4 and moderate carb the other week.. That'd nicely satisfy the hormone cravings too.

Hopefully the naan hasn't put to much weight on! I'm going speed walking with my friend tonight to try and minimise the damage grin

itsnothingoriginal Tue 24-Sep-13 14:27:51

I agree with pootlebug - having lost all the weight I wanted to through low carbing, I have now introduced some carbs back into my diet e.g. poached egg on toast, small piece of bread with salad for lunch etc but I do try to eat no/low carbs after about 3pm.

I'm not sure what that makes me - a 'carb reducer' maybe but it has worked in terms of keeping the weight down but I do eat some carbs (especially as you say OP around TOTM when I feel I 'need' them!).

I did read about a study where women ate a low carb diet 2 days a week which had positive effects on weight loss too.

Methe Tue 24-Sep-13 17:43:44

How long did it take you to get to your target weight itsnothingoriginal?

My Mum is what you would call a carb reducer. She's got type1 diabetes so she initially low carbed to help her control and to lose weight. I expect she's done it for maybe 10 years now and she looks fab, has great control and is thin and fit! She's 58.

She has a slice of toast for breakfast and then no more white carbs at all. But she doesn't limit veg or fruit ( And will have whatever she likes on special occasions!) It's been a complete lifestyle change but it has really worked! I'm hoping that when I get down to my target weight I can adopt a similar way of eating. I can't imagine anything more miserable or more likely to make me fail than saying I'm never going to eat tiger bread again!

itsnothingoriginal Tue 24-Sep-13 18:57:53

I started in March last year at 9st 10 and by June/July had lost 1.5 st so I guess I didn't have too much to lose. I don't want to lose any more weight though as it starts to come off in the wrong places and I look completely flat chested!

Your mum sounds like she's got a really good WOE and is working for her health wise too which is great smile

I can't imagine life without a bit of what I love from time to time (and that includes bread for me too!).

Methe Tue 24-Sep-13 19:08:53

Wow you did really well! If you do find the knack of maintaining your weight with the odd treat let me know smile

There's a theory that losing weight ketogenically can cause s

.... Sorry, phone poster too soon. Can cause some initial hormone and period disruption because as fat stores are released so is stored oestrogen or something like that - anyway, stuff locked away in your fat stores hits the bloodstream again and this can send your cycle awry. I've not explained well.

KinkyDorito Mon 30-Sep-13 06:56:24

Yup - I had the oestrogen thing. I'm on the depo jab, but 2 days into low carb started bleeding and continued for a full month. It finally seems to be stopping. But, the other benefits I've seen from low carb outweighed the AF horror.

Methe Mon 30-Sep-13 08:55:27

There's certainly some interesting ideas in that thread, thanks trucksanddinosaurs

Wrt the benefits outweighing the period negatives. For me personally I disagree, I cannot spend a week a month feeling like I did before my period last cycle so intend to eat increased carbs towards the end of my cycle from now on. prehaps a piece of toast in the morning. My naan and wine binge stopped my weight loss for a couple of days and this week I've been losing again so I'm not too concerned about it. 3 out of 4 weeks ain't bad smile

ElBombero Tue 01-Oct-13 15:53:50

Awww methe, bless you.

I used to low carb along time ago and had great success losing and maintaining a weight loss of around 3 stone. From day one I have never had great stamina. I dieted from Monday am - Saturday tea time only allowing 20g of carbs but then Saturday night and Sunday was my time off the diet. No restrictions. Worked well for me and the time off was always a motivation if I was ever flagging during the week.

Don't be so hard on yourself xx

Grumpywino Wed 02-Oct-13 12:18:11

I have been low carb for over two years, mostly health reasons although the reduced blubber is an incentive to stay this way! The few times I have had carbs I have regretted it, ie stomach pain, diarrhoea, aches and pains. I should add that I run regularly and have completed insanity, I truly have no need for carbs. I sleep better, my skin is softer, my mood is better, my fitness increased.......but I only have these benefits by being rather strict long term, although I do like the odd drink. Of course it helps that I never liked bread, pasta etc

Itstartshere Wed 02-Oct-13 12:26:54

We were discussing this the other day here
For me, I need some carbs. Mainly in the form of sweet potato (I'm talking eating about a third of one in a day, so not much) and some starchy veg. Some days I've had a bit of white potato. My weight loss obviously isn't a fast as it was but I am still losing.
You have to do what works for you.
And my first period having switched to eating low carb was horrible! My cycle is slightly out of whack still.

giraffeseatpineapples Wed 02-Oct-13 12:45:57

Grumpy how was insanity it looks fun in a gruelling kind of way?

Grumpywino Wed 02-Oct-13 13:09:49

It's in the title! Insane is so accurate, it is gruelling but if you put everything into it the fitness results are amazing. I really enjoyed it and still do it a couple of times a week, nothing quite compares although I do like Jillian Michaels various DVDs. Shaun T is incredibly motivating, and rather easy on the eyes!

giraffeseatpineapples Wed 02-Oct-13 14:27:11

grin where did you get it from, price put me off tbh. Iave some JMs should really get on with those!

sallycinnamum Tue 08-Oct-13 18:55:58

I lost a considerable amount of weight in the summer and have been waxing lyrical about it ever since!

I have reintroduced a small amount of carbs back into my diet as well as wine and a dessert once or twice a week and I haven't lost or gained weight, which is what I wanted.

Obv If I started consuming vast quantities of carbs again I expect the weight would pile on but my body seems to have adapted to eating small amounts again.

A month ago we went away for a few days and I are a lot of carbs and didn't put on anything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now