Week 2 - Autumn Low Carb Bootcamp

(521 Posts)
BIWI Sun 15-Sep-13 23:55:36

Well! It's the first day of reckoning:

Here is the Spreadsheet of Wonderfulness

I am waving my big stick around already, because it's obvious from the most recent threads that there has been a fair amount of cheating going on.

And we have only just finished week one!

A couple of things:

IT'S NOT CALLED BOOTCAMP FOR NOTHING

This period is designed to shift you quickly into becoming ketogenically adapted, i.e. to shift your body into burning fat rather than burning carbs.

This can only happen if you consistently reduce the carbs that you are consuming

If you cheat - even if it is just the odd thing here and there - then this won't happen, and it will take you much longer to start burning (and therefore losing) fat.

These two weeks were never going to be easy. And although I wrote about them, and how you needed to plan for them, it's clear that this hasn't always been appreciated.

I do, really, understand that it is hard. Especially if low carbing is new for you. But it's designed with a purpose, and you will really see the benefit of it if you stick with it.

JUST BECAUSE YOU'VE DONE BOOTCAMP BEFORE DOESN'T MEAN THAT IT'S ANY DIFFERENT FOR YOU

Please be mindful of people who are new to Bootcamp. You may know what you can/can't do in terms of carb consumption. But there has been quite a bit of posting about cheating. Even if you are doing this mindfully, please remember that you aren't supposed to be doing this in the first two weeks of Bootcamp, and it makes it really hard for those who are new to low carbing, and who might be struggling.

A bit of sensitivity is called for here.

And finally, when you get on the scales this morning/tomorrow morning, please remember that this is about you and nobody else. It isn't a competition. Some people lose weight much quicker than others.

If you have a lot of weight to lose, chances are that you will lose it quicker than if you are closer to your target. Some people will lose a shedload in week one, but then nothing in week two - whereas others will lose more modestly, but consistently, week after week. The only thing that matters is what is happening to you.

If you haven't lost much, please don't be disappointed. Make sure that you are genuinely following the rules - are you drinking enough water? Are you eating high fat? That one glass or wine, or that small piece of cake - they all add up.

And even if you have genuinely followed the rules - if you haven't seen the scales move by much - have you measured?

We are all different, and rates of loss will be different too. Just think about the food that you have been eating, and consider how this WOE compares with low calorie or low fat diets.

Changing to a low carb way of eating as compared to a low fat or low calorie diet is not an easy transition, and it is to be expected that there will be snags along the way. Hopefully the Bootcamp threads will give you the help and guidance that you need - and I hope that when you get on the scales next, your hard work will be rewarded!

Onwards and downwards
xxx

Pleaseandthankyou Mon 16-Sep-13 12:49:15

I echo what crabbysmallbottom said. You really need to stick to this at the start. I lost 7 pounds in the first few weeks of the last bootcamp. I then had one day way off piste. It was a special occasion. I put 7lbs back on overnight. It came off again over the next week or so but that was a bit of a shock. After doing this for several months an away does not have the same effect. The difference now is I only eat carbs that are really worth it. If you have just started do keep at it. It definitely works and it gets easier.

StuntNun Mon 16-Sep-13 13:10:53

Googoogoggles I have stone in olives (£1 jar from Tesco - nothing fancy) for evening snacking. There's no way you can eat loads of them quickly because of the stones so you just eat what you need.

Snatchoo Mon 16-Sep-13 13:39:03

I've lost about 2lbs which is pretty good, 6lbs in 2 weeks. Was hoping for a bit more but c'est la vie! I'm not going to panic about it, or wallow and allow it to throw me off track.

Haven't cheated <proud> other than 2 or three coffees with milk instead of cream.

Livelongandprosper Mon 16-Sep-13 13:44:01

I did my 12 hour drive to DS's uni and back yesterday - and I did not eat a single sweet thing!!! And I am by nature a sugary twat!!!!grin grin grin grin I have lost 3lbs since Monday and probably more but I suffer from the same affliction as Mouseface and haven't been for a week!sad Anyone got a stick of dynamite?
Well done everyone smile

daisychicken Mon 16-Sep-13 13:47:26

Well done those who've lost!

I've not weighed myself as its totm & i usually get very bloated but my jeans are falling down so I've done somat right!

CarefullyDoesIt Mon 16-Sep-13 14:28:08

Hello, can some lovely person update me to 174 - better than I deserve after a disastrous weekend smile

NewStartNewStory Mon 16-Sep-13 14:45:02

So far I am holding strong against emotional eating. Not sure quite how, but I have. Going to have a quick scrambled eggs before the school run as I feel really hungry. Not sure if real hunger or quite what but I have made the mistake of not eating when hungry and that way disaster lies.

giggly Mon 16-Sep-13 15:41:24

Yeah, down 8.8 lb here, just celebrated with some whipped cream on almond and flax cake. There were chocolates at work today and I was most useful in passing them round.
My motto I want to be thinner than I want chocolate.

twistyfeet Mon 16-Sep-13 16:01:50

are olives allowed on Bootcamp?

tenementfunster Mon 16-Sep-13 16:15:08

5 and 3/4 pounds off

yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!

NewStart - well done on avoiding emotional eating. It's hard! I managed to gain half a stone over August through emotional eating and drinking. Need to find an alternative when faced with crap again.

Twisty feet - yes!

BlackAffronted Mon 16-Sep-13 16:43:18

None off for me as I am just not sticking to it sad

Ruprekt Mon 16-Sep-13 16:55:25

Marking my place

CorrieDale Mon 16-Sep-13 17:02:01

1.6 off here. Not hugely impressive compared with the excellent losses most others have had but I'm happy enough. I think being veggie makes it harder to keep the carbs low. Feeling hugely bloated today, which is odd and I think adversely affected my weigh in.

I have been feeling not wholly committed to the plan. I love not feeling hungry but I'm finding it tough going not being able to just say 'fuck it, it's pasta tonight'. But I realised today it's only 10 weeks. Well, 9 now. And I can manage that.

Off to Bath tomorrow for the night with 2 friends. First night ever away from the children - they're 8 & 6! I shall do my very best to stay on plan.

BerylStreep Mon 16-Sep-13 17:14:48

Afternoon all. Marking place.

Doing something with chicken tonight, not sure what. Did I read something recently about parmesan chicken soaked in buttermilk? And can anyone inspire me what to do with it? I have spinach, aubergine, peppers, mushrooms and a turnip.

Possibly some sort of parmagiana affair? Have got mozzarella balls in the fridge and any amount of cheese.

timidviper Mon 16-Sep-13 17:58:10

I have not weighed today as I am eating sensibly and mindfully at the moment then starting properly when we get back from holiday in 2 weeks. Don't want to drop off the spreadsheet though so I am entering myself as 100 each week until then. Is that ok?

timidviper Mon 16-Sep-13 18:01:56

Ooh, just in case that sounds a bit wishy-washy, can I just tell you that I bought a top from Evans and had to get not just one size below my normal, but TWO! grin

Cherrypi Mon 16-Sep-13 18:22:08

Just had an amazing tea of slow cookered garlic chicken. Yum. Never tried just doing meat in the slow cooker before. Normally just do stews. Had it with green beans.

googoogoggles Mon 16-Sep-13 18:46:02

Thanks for tip re olives with stones stuntnun - will have to try that! I did some cheese crisps with cheddar a couple of nights ago for a snack but they were awful – way too greasy. Maybe I didn't leave them in long enough?
Am just frying up some chicken strips in loads of butter for dinner and have made a coleslaw (mostly cabbage with 1/4 shallot a tiny bit of grated carrot) – who knew I could get so excited about the prospect of a bit of chicken and coleslaw but there you go, I am.
First day feeling like I had more energy today –and a much brighter mood. (Don't think I'll ever have sleek and shiny hair again though – too many years of hiding the grey bits!)
Kept refilling a 750 ml bottle of water today with the aim of drinking x4 minimum a day. (It's got one of those squeezy tops which DOES help, strangely, as someone has already reported)
Black get back up on the wagon _ you pulled me up a few times last BC (hv name-changed)
Keep going everyone!
It's taken me so long to type this (keep tending said chicken), forgive me if I'm ignoring last few posts!

BIWI Mon 16-Sep-13 18:49:36

timidviper - that's brilliant! flowers

PMMummy Mon 16-Sep-13 18:54:47

I forgot to weigh this morning, or should I say it was a very unorganised dash out of the house to work and school etc. I shall be updating in the morning, fingers crossed evil Mother Nature has pissed off completely wink

loopyloou Mon 16-Sep-13 18:57:54

Had a good day today, although haven't drunk much water due to a very busy day at work.

B: egg mayo with sausage
L: cold chicken with salad with HM dressing
D: curry made with left over roast pork with swede and spinach
A: 2 thin slices cold grilled bacon, 1 mini pepperami

CrabbyBigBottom Mon 16-Sep-13 18:59:00

Iblame and Mouse I think it's absolutely fine to say when you're finding things difficult and when you've fallen off the wagon - that way we can beat you with the big stick support you and haul you back aboard.

I think what BIWI maybe meant was for those of us who've been doing low carb for quite a while, this isn't the time to post about going off-piste and eating stuff that isn't allowed on bootcamp - after you've been doing it a while you get a good idea of what you can and can't have without causing a stall/gain, but for the people who are just starting now/restarting after a long gap, it's really important not to cheat at all in these early days. It's pretty hard to stick to bootcamp for those two weeks, and thinking that you can go a bit off-road and still lose weight is going to end in frustration and disappointment for most people.

Correct me if I'm wrong BIWI! grin

Mouseface Mon 16-Sep-13 19:09:11

<waves to Rupret> smile

B - crustless ham & quiche (slither of) HB egg, low carb sausage, with mayo.

L - chicken and mayo salad with grated cheddar on top.

D - ? not sure yet, I'm not hungry, I did buy some frozen broccoli, peas and sweetcorn, so may fry them off in some butter and have some chicken wrapped in bacon with a cream and garlic sauce.......

It's one of those nights when I need someone to cook for me and make me it eat...... grin

Hope everyone's doing okay? xxx

Oh and thank you BIWI - just for being you thanks xxx

Pretty amazing 1 stone off Roobot! respect

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now