Week 2 - Autumn Low Carb Bootcamp

(521 Posts)
BIWI Sun 15-Sep-13 23:55:36

Well! It's the first day of reckoning:

Here is the Spreadsheet of Wonderfulness

I am waving my big stick around already, because it's obvious from the most recent threads that there has been a fair amount of cheating going on.

And we have only just finished week one!

A couple of things:

IT'S NOT CALLED BOOTCAMP FOR NOTHING

This period is designed to shift you quickly into becoming ketogenically adapted, i.e. to shift your body into burning fat rather than burning carbs.

This can only happen if you consistently reduce the carbs that you are consuming

If you cheat - even if it is just the odd thing here and there - then this won't happen, and it will take you much longer to start burning (and therefore losing) fat.

These two weeks were never going to be easy. And although I wrote about them, and how you needed to plan for them, it's clear that this hasn't always been appreciated.

I do, really, understand that it is hard. Especially if low carbing is new for you. But it's designed with a purpose, and you will really see the benefit of it if you stick with it.

JUST BECAUSE YOU'VE DONE BOOTCAMP BEFORE DOESN'T MEAN THAT IT'S ANY DIFFERENT FOR YOU

Please be mindful of people who are new to Bootcamp. You may know what you can/can't do in terms of carb consumption. But there has been quite a bit of posting about cheating. Even if you are doing this mindfully, please remember that you aren't supposed to be doing this in the first two weeks of Bootcamp, and it makes it really hard for those who are new to low carbing, and who might be struggling.

A bit of sensitivity is called for here.

And finally, when you get on the scales this morning/tomorrow morning, please remember that this is about you and nobody else. It isn't a competition. Some people lose weight much quicker than others.

If you have a lot of weight to lose, chances are that you will lose it quicker than if you are closer to your target. Some people will lose a shedload in week one, but then nothing in week two - whereas others will lose more modestly, but consistently, week after week. The only thing that matters is what is happening to you.

If you haven't lost much, please don't be disappointed. Make sure that you are genuinely following the rules - are you drinking enough water? Are you eating high fat? That one glass or wine, or that small piece of cake - they all add up.

And even if you have genuinely followed the rules - if you haven't seen the scales move by much - have you measured?

We are all different, and rates of loss will be different too. Just think about the food that you have been eating, and consider how this WOE compares with low calorie or low fat diets.

Changing to a low carb way of eating as compared to a low fat or low calorie diet is not an easy transition, and it is to be expected that there will be snags along the way. Hopefully the Bootcamp threads will give you the help and guidance that you need - and I hope that when you get on the scales next, your hard work will be rewarded!

Onwards and downwards
xxx

LCHammer Mon 16-Sep-13 09:29:13

I lost 1.2 kg. Very pleased.

78bunion Mon 16-Sep-13 09:33:43

Have not got properly started yet (and not got a lot to lose) so stayed the same but still encouraged.....

NorkyButNice Mon 16-Sep-13 09:36:00

3lb off for me, very happy with that.

Well done everyone!

doradoo Mon 16-Sep-13 09:40:36

Have been bad, very bad and it shows - .9lbs on.....

So will start afresh this week and see if I can be good.

NewStartNewStory Mon 16-Sep-13 09:45:27

You can do it Doradoo I am also a week behind after a horrendous week no excuses just fact will do boot camp strict for another week when others move onto bootcamp light. <sticks out a handle and hawls Doradoo back onto the wagon>

halfthesize Mon 16-Sep-13 09:55:31

Fantastic losses WOHOO grin

CrabbyBigBottom Mon 16-Sep-13 10:02:12

7lbs off this week. smile smile

Just to echo what BIWI and Cider have already put so well...

If you are a carby twat, you will not lose the weight! grin
Once you are through your two weeks of strict bootcamp and your body has adjusted, the occasional treat probably won't cause too much damage to your weightloss, but during the first couple of weeks you need to reset your body and tastes. If you eat processed crap, you are putting yourself back to square one. Honestly, it isn't worth it.

Why would you make all this effort and then sabotage yourself?? confused you've got the rest of your life to eat cake/mars bars/minstrels/chips/pizza (some of the things I can recall listed in confession on the week 1 thread! grin), this is just two weeks out of your life, and then you're onto bootcamp light where you can have nuts, berries, wine etc. believe me, after two weeks, those strawberries and clotted cream will taste as sweet as the ambrosia of heaven. wink

Onwards and downwards, Campers!

flowers for the losers and a big encouraging bootcamp hug for those of you struggling - it is worth the effort! smile

Jelly15 Mon 16-Sep-13 10:06:52

Hi All. Lost 1 lb but not to worry it is my time of the month. Looking foward to next week. Should show a good weight loss.

Negroni Mon 16-Sep-13 10:09:21

Am 3lbs down. Very grateful as had off piste meals last Tuesday and Wednesday. At least this has allowed me 4 days of strict low carbing before weigh in today. But aware I probably would have lost a pound or 2 more if I had stuck to it all week. However for the first time am back at my lowest weight since the last bootcamp at start of July.

So thanks BIWI for doing this and newbies, don't cheat if you can help it, it isn't worth it!

NigellasGuest Mon 16-Sep-13 10:15:43

I gave in to emotional eating last night. Having had a "good" day, I had 2 glasses of red wine followed by a small portion of plum pie & custard, and a bar of chocolate.

It was emotional eating, nothing more and nothing less. I must try and be a bit more forearmed against this type of thing! Back on the wagon today however.....

IBO Mon 16-Sep-13 10:24:41

Morning..

I deserve BIWI's stick for few glassess of wiine over the weekend.. But I was good with food all week and lost amazing 5.6 lbs last week.

Nigellasguest I hope you are ok... brew

Well done to all losers!

twistyfeet Mon 16-Sep-13 10:36:16

Another 2pounds gone despite saturday being a fast day (religious) which ended with a carby thing. Only 3 more pounds to go and I'm at my goal and into the choccy

NigellasGuest Mon 16-Sep-13 10:36:27

Onwards and upwards today, IBO!
And wow what an amazing loss you have had - 5.6 lbs! thanks thanks

I just posted on the week 1 thread, so won't do another big post, but have basically been a carby twat and put 2lb on thesad i really need to cut my association with emotions and over eating!

Please could someone put me on the spreadsheet. I am 11 st 10 lb onsad

IBO Mon 16-Sep-13 11:12:40

Thanks NigellasGuest - It easy to lose weight on the first week. I will be very happy to lose 1 or at least 0.5 lb next week smile

best of luck to you smile!!

Very wise words BIWI.

I have lost 3.6lbs this week and I'm pleased with that. I have been low carbing since the new year but with more and more carb creep towards then end of the summer but it hasn't really affected my weight much. So I'm back on the bootcamp properly (I really really missed my couple of glasses of wine on a sat eve tho'!)

I'm hoping to get to 2 stone off at the start next week (so close but so far...). I feel so much slimmer I put on a skirt this morning and it was massive (struggled to get in it last year) so I hit my 'too small' drawer... I put one of my old old skirts on and it was a bit on the big side grin grin grin.

Stick with it, it's good good feeling.

Mouseface Mon 16-Sep-13 11:56:30

Morning Campers,

Firstly - Sorry BIWI for posting about cheating or rather failing over the last few days, I take your point about it being unhelpful to others.

Thank you all so much for all of your suggestions for my bowel issues smile I am making notes and am going to try them all! It's now getting close to a week again since going to the loo...... sad blush

daisy - the GP gives me senna, fybogel, and movicol (sp?) The fybogel makes me swell up and I find it sickly, movicol is vicious! And lactulose is loaded with sugar/sweeteners so I struggle to take it! Sorry to seem ungrateful, I'm not! Thank you daisy xxx

Crabby - thank you too smile

So, how much vit C do I need to take, does anyone know, gms or mls wise? Either? I drink at least 2.5 ltr every day. Thank you for your help xxx

OK - I've not lost weight, I've added 3lbs but I think it's waste [bush]

Dropped 4" from my waist, Down 1 size to a 10 at the bottom.

Down 2 sizes to a 12 on top.

Dropped 2" from my back.

Dropped 2 " from my hips.

Well done to those who have lost weight or inches, KEEP GOING EVERYONE! xxx

BIWI Mon 16-Sep-13 12:00:29

Shall we get some t-shirts made?

"I am a carby twat"

grin

BIWI Mon 16-Sep-13 12:01:43

Really interesting piece here about fruit and fruit consumption - especially if you are a diabetic - some evidence that fruit can actually be helpful if you are a type 2 diabetic.

It's worth reading this all the way through. At the end, there's a table showing the fructose content of various fruits, which is really interesting.

halfthesize Mon 16-Sep-13 12:17:53

Loving "I'm a Carby Twat" t shirts idea grin

twistyfeet Mon 16-Sep-13 12:21:43

what happens after bootcamp? Where do we go?

I'm a bit jealous of all you big losers! I have lost a pound, but I'm feeling slimmer (wish I'd measured). Also I seem to have got over the carb flu finally - woke up feeling much better this morning.
B: a whole avocado with olive oil dressing, a tomato, cup of chai (no milk)
L: curried cauliflower soup, tuna salad with mayo
D: Black Farmer sausages with broccoli

Does anyone else's dp/dh think they are a faddy weirdo for attempting this? Mine has no comprehension at all of struggling to lose weight or why anyone would need to do anything other than 'eat a bit less, exercise a bit more'.

QueenQueenie Mon 16-Sep-13 12:31:17

"My name is .... and I'm a carby twat"!
How about a logo of bag of chips? Mars Bar?

sorry. i should have read the OP properly. Didn't mean to cause any offence by writing about my failure. Just wanted to hold myself accountable so I can turn it around.

BIWI ... I'll take that stick and beat myself I think!!

BIWI Mon 16-Sep-13 12:47:24

twistyfeet - when Bootcamp ends, we generally keep one chat thread going for as long as we want to.

Glad you're feeling better, holmes!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now