where can i get butter from grass fed cows, and how do i make bulletproof coffee?

(16 Posts)
losenotloose Thu 12-Sep-13 22:30:20

Thankyou!

pootlebug Thu 12-Sep-13 22:38:21

As far as I'm aware, most butter in the UK is grass fed....it's in the US where you have big Feed Lots for grain fed cows that there is more problem (i've just come across a US site that suggests Kerrygold, at $5 per packet - a fairly standard supermarket-available brand here).

Google Bulletproof coffee for a load of websites and recipe.

ThisIsMummyPig Thu 12-Sep-13 22:42:59

I would second that any British butter would be grass fed. Cows may get grain in the winter when the ground is frozen, or if it's too cold for the cows to go outside, but in summer it is much cheaper to put them out to grass, so that's what happens.

Never heard of bulletproof coffee, and don't intend to google!

Roobot Fri 13-Sep-13 07:48:57

I made some the other day- mug of coffee, tsp of butter and a tsp of coconut oil. I figured i can work up to the larger quantities... whisked and drank. A friend of mine said to use unsalted butter. Thats it, really. V simple.

MrsHowardRoark Fri 13-Sep-13 07:56:18

My DP is on the bulletproof diet and is now completely obsessed with coffee.

He uses Kerrygold but as previously mentioned, most cows in the UK are grass fed so any organic, unsalted butter should be ok. We also like Rachel's.

Butter coffee is surprisingly yummy and easy to make by blending a tbsp in some brewed coffee.
I think the most important thing is where you get the coffee from. It has to be single estate and processed in a certain way. We now have bulletproof coffee shipped from the states but have bought it from Monmouth coffee before.

I told you he was obsessed!

Snatchoo Fri 13-Sep-13 14:55:40

I tried it with some coconut oil the other night.

It wasn't totally disgusting, but it left a really nasty film round my mouth and I was constantly thirsty. Maybe I put too much in?

losenotloose Fri 13-Sep-13 15:00:59

Tried making it with instant coffee (all I have!) A tbsp butter, a tbsp coconut oil, then blend with hand blender. Was pretty nice, like coffee with cream. Not convinced of it being a good alternative to breakfast though, or that it would keep me full for hours.

Ponders Fri 13-Sep-13 15:07:32

isn't Anchor butter advertised as being from cows fed grass all year round?

(Australian or NZ, not sure which, but somewhere warm enough that they don't have to winter indoors?)

Ponders Fri 13-Sep-13 15:09:18
Ponders Fri 13-Sep-13 15:14:47
janmoomoo Fri 20-Sep-13 17:49:48

Kerrygold is grass fed I think.

For bulletproof coffee start with just a small tea spoon of butter and a small tea spoon of coconut oil in a coffee. A table spoon is too much to begin with and will probably make you feel rather sick. Even the teaspoon made me feel a bit sick but it did totally keep me going until lunchtime. You definitely need to blend it rather than just stir it in, I use the little stick aero cappacino blender.

GermanGirlinLDN Sat 21-Sep-13 20:26:06

Hello,

I use unsalted Kerrygold butter and the Colombian coffee from Grumpy Mule. You can order the coffee on Ocado, not sure about other supermarkets though. I haven't tried it with MCT oil yet, but will order it from Amazon and see if it makes a difference. My friends swear on it.

Plenty of herds in the uk are 'zero grazing' which means they stay in all year round sad. However, if you buy UK organic butter, that is a guarantee that the cows go out to grass in the months that the weather permits, and that even their winter diet is predominantly grass-based (i.e hay/silage).

Also worth mentioning, you are also guaranteed better welfare standards for the animals, eg lower ratios of cows per square metre in their winter housing.

MaryBeardfanclub Fri 04-Oct-13 07:22:09

i have been buying delicious Guernsey butter (Waitrose stock it) - the milk is collected from lots of small farms on guernsey to make it and it's a lovely yellow colour (apparently grass fed cows produce yellow butter - but beware colouring in other butter to fool you)

i asked if the cows were grass fed and they are out in the fields most of the year - around 70% of their diet is grass. This compares with around 60% for Kerrygold.

it is salted though so I'm not sure if that would be nice in coffee. I did try the bullet proof drink and felt sick for about 4 hours. coconut overload i think

I have saved some other recipes along these lines to try - bullet proof hot choc and bullet proof chai/green tea. Might be brave this weekend

FrameyMcFrame Wed 09-Oct-13 22:00:55

Was going to ask, bulletproof tea?
I've been drinking tea with coconut oil and cream instead of milk. It's quite nice but I'm not sure about butter.

RawCoconutMacaroon Fri 18-Oct-13 21:15:31

KerryGold is only from grass fed cows. In winter the milk gets sold elsewhere.

I'm from a farming family, and it is normal even in fairly low intensity dairy herds (Scotland) for the cows to get a grain ration every time they set foot in the milking parlour, even in summer when they are also eating grass. The feed now likely to contain GMO soya and maize, unless the milk/butter/cheese is labeled organic.

So stick with KerryGold, or anything labeled organic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now