The Low Carb Bootcamp Continues!

(997 Posts)
BIWI Fri 02-Aug-13 14:33:47

The other thread was almost full, so here's a bright, shiny new one.

And here's the Spreadsheet of Fabulousness

And just in case you haven't discovered it yet, here is the recipe thread. Some truly lovely recipes on here that are worth a try.

Mouseface Sat 03-Aug-13 15:27:11

Daisy - Aspartame is BAD!

There was a thread on here about it not that long ago but google it, it's not great for you and actually stops you losing weight IIRC? But don't quote me on that!!

Marking place, hope everyone's having a good weekend, will catch up later

daisychicken Sat 03-Aug-13 16:04:01

I know that Mouse but a lot of low carb treat recipes use sweetener. I totally get why we don't have sugar but why is sweetener considered better than a natural product (is it considered natural if it comes from sugar beet?)?

Should we avoid all treat recipes or can we say just once in a while that sweetener or sugar is ok? (& when I read blogs such as the one linked to above... they seem to eat a lot of sweet treats.....!)

BeenieBaby Sat 03-Aug-13 16:13:17

Thanks biwi. Will read the book. It looks like I have a tummy bug sad threw up my breakfast and have had to make several trips to the loo. Feel too ill to eat anything. Have no idea where I could have gotten it from as its only een home cooked food??! sad sad am feeling very sorry for myself. But at least it's the weekend and we didn't have any plans so DH is being very hands on with the kids.

BIWI Sat 03-Aug-13 16:43:02

Oh dear, Beenie - hope you're better soon.

daisy - sweeteners aren't better than sugar! They are artificial and there is some doubt about their long-term safety. Stevia is touted as being more natural, but I'm not sure if this makes it any better than any of the other artificial sweeteners.

The whole point of Bootcamp is to help us break the hold that sugar/sweet things have over us. However, that said, if low carbing is to work for us as a long-term, sustainable WOE then we do need to be able to accommodate treats (of any kind) every now and then.

I would say that whether or not you choose sugar or an artificial sweetener probably depends where you are in your weight loss 'journey' (sorry for appalling cliche!) If you still have a way to go, then I'd suggest that you look to use an artificial sweetener. Whilst there is some suggestion that these can impede weight loss, you are at least not suddenly overloading your system with sugar/carbs.

If you are at or near your target weight, then I'd probably say go for a sugar-based option, because it is at least a natural food. I'd always far rather go for natural over artificial.

But be prepared to see your weight loss stall - or even for you to gain some weight. And be ready for the carb cravings that this might result in.

Also, you might find that it makes you feel a bit odd. I had a night out recently at 'Gin School' with a couple of other MNetters, and we drank several gins, all of which were served with full-sugar tonic. By the time I got home, about an hour after the last drink, I had that horrible, jittery and shaky feeling that you get when your blood sugar has dropped through the floor.

Have you had a read of the recipe thread? I think there are some reasonably low carb desserts on there. I'll see if I can find any more as well.

daisychicken Sat 03-Aug-13 17:00:16

That's probably the point regarding when we have these treats isn't it? We have them when we are maintaining so its not causing problems with loosing weight and the odd lb on will slink off quickly if you keep at the woe..

It's just all these low carb blogs ive been browsing and even the books I've borrowed all have treat recipes which got me thinking about it all!

I've been baking this week with ds2 and I haven't even been tempted once (am amazed as yummy jammie dodgers, Victoria sponge with buttercream, vanilla biscuits and choc topped choc cookies floating around). We don't tend to have puddings anyway so I'm usually full and don't want anything else to eat (what ds2 does make is quickly gobbled in 3 lunchboxes (DH eats tons as very physical job)!).

I did used to get the jitters with low blood sugars and DM has them a lot (no amount of convincing will get her to look at a more low carb way of eating even though she is pretty much there on a coeliac diet - she won't give up her only fruit breakfasts). Eating LC has banished the jitters for me and if I'm busy I don't even think about lunch whereas before I'd be desperate to eat!

Perhaps easier just to not even think about these treats at all!

Mouseface Sat 03-Aug-13 17:05:41

Sorry daisy - I misunderstood. I thought you wanted to know which were particularly bad for you.

Sonkey Sat 03-Aug-13 17:15:43

Vini
How about shaslik chicken, it is tikka chicken, peppers , Toms and onions. Dry and no sauce or rice. I think any creamy sauce is also carby.

NewStartNewStory Sat 03-Aug-13 17:21:54

Oh dear crabby that is not good. Perhaps he wanted to watch the film with his dd's but was crap in the manner he expressed it. It might be one of the few nice calm things he gets to do with them if everything else is so chaotic. Shame that it kinda blew up though. sad

I realised today that i tend to make a cup of coffee when i am actually hungry. This explains not only why i forget to eat but also how i end up drinking so much coffee. Off all pain meds atm as not doing well with them. Pain levels are thus higher then i like. It is a vicious circle which i hate. But i did find a use for the bag of frozen peas in the freezer. hmmgrin otoh i am ready to crawl into bed and go straight to sleep.

Mouseface Sat 03-Aug-13 18:42:13

<Snorts at Gin School BIWI grin>

daisychicken Sat 03-Aug-13 18:53:01

S'ok Mouse smile

I do the same but with tea Newstart - I consciously have to think about drinking water instead! Sorry to hear about the pain - could you try a tens machine (depends on where the pain though)?

QueenQueenie Sat 03-Aug-13 19:00:21

Gin school! That sounds like my sort of adult education.

Had lovely lunch in posh pub today. Warm salad of onglet steak (sliced) with watercress, green beans, capers, mustardy vinegraitte (?sp?) topped with some crispy shallotts (not too many!). Yum! Only complaint was that steak not at all fatty.

Washed down with gallons of water.

Vinividivino Sat 03-Aug-13 19:14:25

Thanks for the Indian takeaway tips - I ended up having chicken tikka with a few spoonfuls of spinach, cauliflower and aubergine bhajis - all yummy and I think not too carby.

Get better soon Beenie and NewStart flowers

Secondsop Sat 03-Aug-13 20:17:55

Daisy my mum is the same with blood sugar - always has to have a sweet or chocolate in her coat pocket in case she "feels faint" when out and about yet has a baked potato for lunch every day. She does seem supportive of my LCing as she can see it's working but doesn't seem to get the connection to how it could help her. In fact she keeps banging on about something she saw about the vitamin C in potatoes, no matter how much I say that it's better for me not to eat them.

My food today:

B/l: salmon fillet with chilli, avocado, bit of beetroot with feta.
S: nuts.
D: black farmer sausages with cauliflower cheese (I make it with soft cheese and a bit of grated cheddar, baked).

I had my first experience on this woe of post carb carb-cravings this week - went to drinks at my boss's house and had white wine, and the next day it took everything I had not to eat some carbs. I got through that day though and the next day after that was fine.

BIWI Sat 03-Aug-13 22:32:47

Vini - sounds like you made wise choices there. Hope you enjoyed it!

Eglute Sat 03-Aug-13 22:33:48

Beenie and Newstart I hope you're feeling a bit better xx

Biwi thanks for explaining sugar / sweetener thingy. I'd never go for sweetener. I am sure it is harmful. And sugar is pure poison as well to be honest..

I have been painting and decorating all day today.. My kitchen is coming together finally smile

I've been eating

B eggs fried in butter and mushrooms and one babybel
L mashed swede with drop of double cream, olive oil and mayo
D cooked ham with tomatoes (just few cherry tomatoes) and cucumber. Also avocado with full fat yogurt and few drops of lime

Snack - few slices of cheese. It seems I'm back on track. Two days of boot camping went well. I hope my bathroom scales will treat me well on Monday.

loopyloou Sat 03-Aug-13 23:18:43

Today I had

Breakfast : mushroom omelette with HM mayo and 2 cherry tomatoes
Lunch : 4 rashers of bacon, 2 fried mushrooms and a fried egg
Dinner : 4 small low carb sausages and a big salad with olive oil and lemon juice.
Snack : THREE bags of posh pork scratchings! I know, crazy, but I am suffering with PMS. Also a small glass of wine, 4 decaff black coffees and 2 litres of water.

LewisFan Sun 04-Aug-13 01:18:40

Right, I STILL can't get my head round all this...

I've been reading and reading the rules and it just doesn't make sense to my (tiny) brain.

I know the theory - but it really isn't sinking in!

Also, doesn't ketosis = bad? I'm sure I heard that somewhere (probably making it up...)

And I'm going shopping (online) tomorrow... please give me a shopping list!

I'm off work next week so want to get on top of things before I go back.

I just want to lose weight (got 10st to shift) and can't decide if this is the way or perhaps just "proper" eating or "being good".... does that even, ever work?!

Why not give it a try for a month?
Ps: Marks Daily Apple website is a fab resource. The success stories section is fantastically motivating and low carb/high fat natural food eating brilliantly explained, with huge archive of resources.

Oh, there's a PDF shopping list on that site I mentioned which you get free if you sign up for the email newsletter plus some free ebooks.

Low carb friends forum also had lots of questions asked and answered, and Escape the diet trap by Dr John Briffa is on kindle - he also did a MN webchat.

Ketosis is not bad
lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/faq/f/whatisketosis.htm

Getting into it can feel bumpy as you transition to burning fat as primary fuel source (see 'carb flu')
Reduced hunger, increased energy often reported once on ketosis. HTH.

CheeseAndFriedMushrooms Sun 04-Aug-13 07:42:37

Hello all, I have a quick question- what can I do with a bag of spinach?! In ought it yesterday as its low carb and was reduced but now stuck for something yummy. Was thinking of adding it to a cauliflower cheese? It just cooking it and having it with melted butter as a side? blushNormally I would have added it to a pasta dish it lasagne or such. Don't fancy curry today either

Eglute Sun 04-Aug-13 07:49:32

cheese you can fry it in butter and have it as a side. I do eat it with scrambled egg. But usually I eat it as a salad. Just add your favourite veg, chicken or whatever smile.

BIWI Sun 04-Aug-13 07:57:46

Cheese:

Wash the spinach thoroughly, then put it into a saucepan. Put it on a high heat and stir continuously as it wilts - this will only take a minute or two.

Drain the spinach, and then add a large knob of butter to the same pan, along with a crushed clove of garlic. Saute the garlic in the butter, briefly, and then return the drained spinach to the pan. Stir it all together, season with salt and pepper and serve.

Bloody lovely!

BIWI Sun 04-Aug-13 08:10:20

Lewis

Right, I STILL can't get my head round all this...

I've been reading and reading the rules and it just doesn't make sense to my (tiny) brain.

I know the theory - but it really isn't sinking in!

What is it that doesn't make sense? What have you been reading (other than the rules!)? It is hard to believe that you can eat fat, and that fat doesn't make you fat - because for the last 30 years or so, this is what we have been told. But it is true. If you want some more reading, "Escape the Diet Trap" is a really good place to start. If you want some serious reading, and a bit more convincing, read "The Diet Delusion" by Gary Taubes

This is how we get fat on a high carb diet:

When you eat carbohydrates, your body converts them into glucose. Your pancreas releases a hormone called insulin to deal with this glucose. The insulin does three things:

It moves the glucose in your blood stream into your body's cells for immediate energy (think of that sudden boost you get when you eat a biscuit or a piece of chocolate).

It transports what is left into the liver, where excess energy is converted into glycogen, which is stored in the liver and the muscles, accessible for future energy needs.

Once the glycogen stores are full, what is left over is converted to fat.

When you eat protein or fat, your body does not produce the same insulin response. When you eat protein there is some release of insulin, but it is a small amount. When you eat fat, there is no insulin release

When you consume a lot of carbohydrates, especially carbs that are easy for your body to access, such as sugar or white bread, the levels of glucose in your blood rise rapidly. Your body has to produce a lot of insulin to deal with this and level out your blood sugar.

The more insulin you produce, the more fat you're likely to lay down, as not all of the glucose will be required for immediate energy.

Also, doesn't ketosis = bad? I'm sure I heard that somewhere (probably making it up...)

No! Ketosis simply means that you are burning fat. Ketoacidosis, on the other hand, is dangerous, but this is a different thing.

And I'm going shopping (online) tomorrow... please give me a shopping list!

First thing is to plan your meals. Focus on buying veg/salad that are the lowest amount of carbs - have a look at the list on the bottom of the spreadsheet - there is plenty of veg that is under 3g carbs per 100g.

I'm off work next week so want to get on top of things before I go back.

Great - gives you the time to plan and to cook lots of lovely low carb things. Have you read the recipe thread for inspiration?

I just want to lose weight (got 10st to shift) and can't decide if this is the way or perhaps just "proper" eating or "being good".... does that even, ever work?!

What does 'proper eating' or 'being good' even mean?! I think you'll find that if you follow the rules you will be eating a good, varied and satisfying diet that will help you lose weight painlessly. You really won't feel like you're on a diet.

Bootcamp works! Something like 500 Mumsnetters have already done it!

Good luck flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now