The Low Carb Bootcamp Continues!

(997 Posts)
BIWI Fri 02-Aug-13 14:33:47

The other thread was almost full, so here's a bright, shiny new one.

And here's the Spreadsheet of Fabulousness

And just in case you haven't discovered it yet, here is the recipe thread. Some truly lovely recipes on here that are worth a try.

Just popping in to say I am down 4 lbs this week (horrific week last week but good this one!), and off on holiday for two weeks! Have a lovely low carb two weeks everyone....

PlumSykes Fri 02-Aug-13 21:43:30

Could I join you, please?

QueenQueenie Fri 02-Aug-13 21:45:46

Oh yes! Hi Plum...

PlumSykes Fri 02-Aug-13 21:50:22

Hello! Thank you.

Mouseface Fri 02-Aug-13 22:31:38

Marking my place smile x

CheeseAndFriedMushrooms Fri 02-Aug-13 23:00:19

Marking place, hi plum! grin

Eglute Sat 03-Aug-13 00:05:25

mrs enjoy!!

Hey plum smile

NewStartNewStory Sat 03-Aug-13 00:36:56

I have almost thrown my toddler style temper tantrum. It is rather needed. but resorting to sulking in the corner. Lets hope saturday is to be less over reacting. On a plus note I turned down comfort ice cream offer from good friend. couldn't face eating ice cream. vile stuff.

StuntNun Sat 03-Aug-13 07:28:01

Hurricane I'm going to try that emmental lasagne, I hope Lidl sell cheap emmental. grin I assume you don't need to add any other cheese or a cheese sauce? Just layer ragu or bolognese with emmental?

Surprisingly I haven't gained since yesterday even though I ate a cake and was starving after dinner. The cream meringue was tiny so the carb count was only 14.3g so it probably didn't have that huge an impact on my day after all. Where I think I went wrong was the meal I ordered in the pub was fish, veggies and cauliflower polenta so I didn't have enough fat which must be why I was still starving straight after dinner. DH had red snapper so he was the same. I need more things in the house for snacking on in situations like that, if only we had had some nice cheese last night. We ended up sharing salt and chilli ribs and smoked shredded chicken from the Chinese takeaway but we were still hungry and had some prosciutto and olives as well after that! I must try to be really strict today and tomorrow so that there's a difference on the scales come Monday.

BIWI Sat 03-Aug-13 07:55:13

CJCregg - there's a recipe for chocolate pots on the recipe thread that's very good.

BIWI Sat 03-Aug-13 08:02:27

Here you go:

Easy Pots de Creme (serves 6)

175ml/6 fl oz milk
175g/6 oz plain chocolate, broken into pieces
2 eggs
2 tablespoons strong coffee
1 tablespoon liqueur of your choice (recipe calls for orange, I used raspberry)

In a small saucepan heat the milk until small beads form around the edge, but do not allow to boil

In a food processor, blitz the chocolate with the eggs, coffee and liqueur

Add the hot milk and blend again until smooth

Pour into ramekins/glasses and chill. (I served each one with a couple of fresh raspberries on the top)

In terms of texture, this is a bit like Angel Delight - I think it would probably freeze quite nicely and could be a lovely chocolate ice-cream.

Without the alcohol, this works out at 8.05g carbs per person, based on using Green & Black's 85% cocoa dark chocolate. But as the alcohol is only 1 tablespoon, I doubt it would add a huge amount.

Someone - MrsHerculePoirot? - suggested or has made this with cream, to get the carbs down even further - which could be worth trying?

BIWI Sat 03-Aug-13 08:07:53

Welcome, Plum flowers

Queen - not unusual for this to happen at all - it can happen from weeks 3-5. I don't really know why, but so many people report it that there's obviously a reason for it! It could just be to do with your body getting used to switching over from carb-burning to fat-burning.

Don't despair, and don't change anything - you'll find that the weight starts to shift again very soon.

Eglute Sat 03-Aug-13 08:43:46

Morning

Biwi thanks for pots de creme. Mouth watering recipe. I will make them once I finish bootcamp.

Well done to everybody who lost weight. It's very inspiring and makes me try harder smile

HurricaneWyn Sat 03-Aug-13 09:31:02

Stunt - I've always made it with a cheese sauce (cream, cream cheese & whatever bits of cheese are knocking about in the fridge - yesterday was cheddar & parmesan), but I imagine yours will hold together much better.

Please report back on how it goes - I'd be interested to know.

CrabbyBigBottom Sat 03-Aug-13 09:43:17

New I was going to reply to your comment yesterday but got distracted, saying I expected the Over Dramatic Friday! tantrums would be occurring here, as DD was due back after ten days away with her dad at a home educators' festival - code for 'feral children with few boundaries and no fixed bedtimes, expressing themselves creatively in a range of weather conditions.' grin I thought that the transition back to home routine (DD has aspergers and finds change quite difficult) would lead to a meltdown yesterday.

Well there was a spectacular meltdown yesterday, but it was mine, not DD's! blush I totally lost the plot with a neighbour, two of whose kids I'd been looking after all afternoon. They were very excitedly talking about Lord of the Rings all afternoon and said their dad had the second one on blu-ray (DD saw the first one the night before). I said I'd get them all pizza and they could watch the movie. Well no they couldn't, because their dad flatly refused to part with his precious blu-ray disc for 2 hrs so that his children (and my DD) could watch it. I said I would very carefully put it in and take it out of the player, and suggested that he come over and put it in (they live a minute's walk away) and then come and take it out when it had finished. No, he doesn't 'lend' his blu-rays. confused I didn't want to borrow it ffs I just wanted the girls to be able to watch it! It was a final straw situation because I feel like I've done ever such a lot for this family. They don't have an easy time of it at all (four children, one with special needs) so I've never begrudged doing lots of favours even though they aren't returned. I've really tried to like the dad and be understanding, and have tried to explain/defend his behaviour to the mum lots of times when she's been angry with him (marriage under a huge amount of pressure) but fucking hell he is impossible to like! It's just so petty! angry So, shamefully, I ended up having very cross words with him, especially when he came storming over to my house and bellowed for the girls to go home immediately. Their little faces were really sad. I really hope he doesn't stop the daughter who is DD's really good friend from coming round now - she's such a sweet kid and we're all really fond of her.

Anyway, rant over. It was certainly Over Dramatic Friday for me!

Food:
L - leftover cauliflower cheese
D - chicken, mushroom, tomato and gruyere cream sauce with courgette 'pasta'.
Wine, 2 teas, loads water.

That raspberry recipe (and that whole blog) looks brilliant. BIWI those chocolate pots look fantastic, I might have to try those this weekend.

MrsHP 4lbs down is fantastic, and enjoy your holiday! Queenie 15lbs in 5 weeks is bloody brilliant. smile

BeenieBaby Sat 03-Aug-13 09:59:59

Wow crabby he sounds like a wanker!

I went to the gym yesterday and had so much energy I was practically bouncing off the walls! I did carb load before goin though with a couple of bananas and a handful of nuts. However I feel crap today! Woke up feeling nauseated and with cramps. I'm not sure if its because of yesterday's carbs or if I just didn't eat / drink enough after the gym... Hope it passes soon as I am feeling completely miserable!!

BIWI Sat 03-Aug-13 10:16:19

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

You really, really, really don't need to carb load before the gym! The whole point of this WOE is that you're switching your body over to burning fat for fuel, which means you always have a ready source of fuel. Unlike when you're burning carbs, where you quickly use your glycogen stores, which is when you start to feel weak, and therefore have to eat/drink something high in carbs.

Please don't do it next time - you really don't need to, once you've switched your body into fat-burning mode. I train (hard) with a trainer and go running regularly, always in a fasted state. Carbs just aren't necessary for energy.

Sorry that you're feeling crap though. flowers

BIWI Sat 03-Aug-13 10:17:49

Download/have a read of this book, "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance" here

CrabbyBigBottom Sat 03-Aug-13 10:51:48

Thanks Beenie, I've made so many allowances for him but that was the final straw. Their other two children have very challenging behaviour (and I have enormous sympathy for them for having to deal with that, especially the child with SN), and the two girls I had with me yesterday are just such lovely, easy going, sweet natured kids. Inevitably they have to compromise a lot and be the 'reasonable' ones when it all kicks off and I just thought 'they've had a really lovely afternoon with DD and were so looking forward to the film and pizza - they don't ask a lot of you and you can't even do this one fucking tiny thing??' angry

Anyway enough ranting from me. blush This sort of thing really plays on my mind. I'm going to resume mad house cleaning now to try and make our shit-pit of a house less of an embarrassment for when our guests arrive.

Hope everyone's having a lovely weekend. x

HeySoulSister Sat 03-Aug-13 10:53:43

I'm off the wagon for a bit

Doing 3 peaks challenge next weekend ( up and down Ben Nevis, scafell pike and snowdon all in just 24 hours)

We have to take all food with us but struggling to think of things to take which will withstand the trip and are low ish carb!

Mouseface Sat 03-Aug-13 11:01:48

Morning, lovely Bootcampers smile

Help please.

I've managed to change my start date and weight on the spreadsheet but the columns to the right, in blue are wrong for me, they have May in them and I joined 17th July.....

Also, I have lost 6lbs since my start date and don't know how or where to put my current weight/date of weigh in, could anyone help me or tell me how please?

I am going to try those Raspberry Cheesecake Slices but could I use strawberries? They look awesome, I know that DH prefers strawberries and we have loads in the garden smile

Okay, so today is -

B - 1 sausage, 2 crispy bacon rashers and a poached egg as I was starved, coffee with cream.

L - HB egg, lettuce, cucumber, 1 slice of corned beef and cheese, blob of mayo.

D - Dea meat! Homemade burgers, minced beef, small amount of finely chopped spring onion, splash of tabasco, black milled pepper, all pressed together in a burger maker and left in the fridge to stay in shape, served with salad.

S - Hazelnuts, a few, HB eggs, Strawberries, Greek yog with d cream, sausages - cold. All of these are ready and at hand, we're going food shopping again today, are prawns okay?

WELL DONE TO ALL WHO ARE DOING SO GREAT!! smile thanks xxx

Vinividivino Sat 03-Aug-13 11:34:00

Hello everyone and a happy Low Carb Saturday to all!

Just made a yummy and really quick breakfast (kids running amok, DH in bad mood because I forgot to buy bread - how times have changed - would have had a freezer full, a few weeks ago!). Smoked haddock mixed with full fat Philly and strips of smoked salmon over the top - not wonderful for your breath but bloody lovely nonetheless! Might add some chopped spring onions next time.

Does anyone know the best option to go for when ordering an Indian takeaway? I was thinking a chicken tikka (no masala sauce) and a spinach or cauliflower side order but are there hidden carbs in this that I might be missing? Weight loss has stalled so I need to be extra vigilant. Anything else you like?

Thanks v much!

Vinividivino Sat 03-Aug-13 11:35:11

mouse I think prawns are fine. I eat lots of them. Prawn and avocado salad - yum!

Secondsop Sat 03-Aug-13 14:06:30

Checking into the new thread.

For Indian takeaway I usually get something in a cream-based sauce but I don't eat a lot of the sauce.

crabby that man sounds awful. I really hate it when adults are mean to children.

Yesterday I went to my sister's but she is a total low-carb convert so we had delicious lamb burgers with roasted veg. I also had my first real chocolate since starting this WOE: a bit of green and blacks 85%. I didn't used to like it that much before, preferring the milk chocolates, but presumably my taste buds have adapted as it tasted really sweet!

daisychicken Sat 03-Aug-13 14:33:13

What's the best sweetener to use for some of the treat recipes? I feel it's a bit of a contradiction using artificial sweetener instead of sugar when really we are trying to cut out/minimise processed foods but just occasionally I'd like to make a treat for family tea that even I can have a mouthful of and not feel overly guilty!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now