Ongoing Low Carb Bootcamp Chat Thread

(1000 Posts)
BIWI Mon 08-Jul-13 08:52:45

Well done everyone who completed the Summer Bootcamp!

here is the Spreadsheet of Fabulousness if you want to continue adding to it

Obviously there are many of us who want to continue, either to lose more weight or just for general support to help with this WOE, so here is a brand new, shiny chat thread.

As for me, having slipped a lot a little when I was away, I'm firmly back on the wagon today.

And can I remind you, that if you haven't completed the survey we would be very grateful for your views/thoughts on how we can improve Bootcamp.

NooMyx three years!

OhCobblers I'm no expert but I think you should find a different brand of yogurt. And I don't suppose you should be eating popcorn?

Hello, can I join you? Did a bootcamp a while back and found the results amazing. But... Now I've lost all motivation and eating far too much crisps and chocolate blush help!

StuntNun Fri 19-Jul-13 22:40:49

There seem to be a lot of newbies and some climbing back on the wagon. Maybe we should have a 'get serious' week or two to minimise cheats and carb creep or cut dairy for those who think it might be stalling them?

I am not looking forward to the scales tomorrow after two weeks holiday. I ruined today by eating some of DS2's Refreshers on the way home. blush Must get back into the swing of things tomorrow.

I think a get serious week would be good. Plus everyone rally round and give me a stern talking to about the crisps.

BIWI Fri 19-Jul-13 22:48:39

You're all bloody hopeless, really, aren't you?! grin

My big stick is taking a well deserved holiday.

sad

Secondsop Fri 19-Jul-13 23:01:07

I've been pretty good! Resisted lovely ice cold diet coke today.

B: scrambled eggs with cheese, slice of ham, avocado.
L: 2 roasted chicken thighs including skin, roasted leeks, Aubergine and courgette cooked in the same dish, 2 sundried tomatoes and 2 mini mozzarella balls, 2 pieces grilled artichoke.
S: pistachio nuts
D: salad with chicken Caesar ready made pot from waitrose (3.3g carbs per 100g), avocado, sundried tomato and mini mozzarella, with basil oil as the dressing.

BIWI Fri 19-Jul-13 23:09:13

Oh, Buffy - don't be sad!

I'm sorry. You can join us, and there will be lots, and lots, and lots of support and help.

Unfortunately I am taking a night off today.

But normal service will be resumed tomorrow. grin

Ok

<dries tears>

I can manage until tomorrow. Don't fancy crisps right now grin

BIWI Fri 19-Jul-13 23:30:50

I shall do double-duty big stick waving around from next week onwards

CrabbyBigBottom Fri 19-Jul-13 23:43:01

I started this much earlier and got interrupted and now can't be arsed to read back as am bit pissed so it'll just have to be this.

Welcome to Mouse and Cheese, what a good combination. grin Welcome to anyone else who's just joined us too.

Two major transgressions today; I had an icecream today, first time in months and then I drank some dreadfully sweet elderflower cordial dring. I think I'm allowed the transgression though - I was one of the first on-scene (just happened to be passing) at a fucking horrible road traffic collision. This poor lad (motorcyclist) flew through the air like a ragdoll after hitting the 4wheelD that pulled straight across him. He hit the floor as his bike burst into flames, and we ended up having to pull him roughly away from the flames as they got really fierce. I was fucking gutted that we had potentially worsened some possible spinal injury by moving him but honestly there was nothing else we could do but that. After an obsessive and unhealthy enormous amount of introspection I think we did everything right that we could do, and the hosp A&E have told me that he doesn't have a spinal injury (FUCKING YAY!!! smile). Scary scary scary though.

So after that I said yes to the offer of an icecream at a nearby beauty spot (we'd all been going, in two cars, to walk the dogs) and had a mint magnum. Then, later on I got a call (I'm a community first responder so hold the fort until the cavalry -ambulance service- arrive) on which the lovely son brought us all glasses of what I thought were water (and greeted incredibly enthusiastically) only to discover they were gacky-sweet elderflower cordial. But how do you politely refuse that when you've said
"Oh that's so kind of you that's brilliant thank you so much I'm parched (assuming it's water!)" and then realised it's super-sweet! So I sipped it a bit and gave it back.

So meh meh meh on the food front for that, although otherwise had chorizo and tomatoes fried with manchego and olives for lunch, and didn't eat again until we had a delicously complex curry and it stood its ground!

CrabbyBigBottom Fri 19-Jul-13 23:45:01

Oh god just glancing back, clearly much has happened since lunchtime when I was reading. I'm so sorry. blush

I shall go and read properly now.

BIWI Fri 19-Jul-13 23:47:28

Oh bloody hell, Crabby - that's awful sad

I really admire you for what you do. I genuinely couldn't do it.

BerylStreep Fri 19-Jul-13 23:53:21

Cobblers since BIWI is being coy with the stick, I will give some feedback.

Wed
B Oykos Greek yoghurt without the pear at the bottom (assumed it was low carb but had already binned packaging, then found out 16g carbs!!! Am assuming that's down to the pear and sugar?) What do you want me to say? Plain greek yoghurt is the way to go. Total, Lidl or Sainsbury's own brand are good choices

L scrambled egg with mushrooms Good
D went out and had deep fried whitebait with galic mayo, steak with green salad, 3/4 Bottle rose!! Really biscuit, The steak and salad were good, if nothing else
Snacks lots of green olives stuffed with almonds. Good, but can't be viewed in isolation, given the transgressions above

Thurs
B yoghurt as above without the fruit.
L skipped as didn't have time but for 2 large chunks of cheddar.
D chicken stuffed with gruyere and wrapped in bacon with lots of mushrooms cooked in butter, steamed tender stem broccoli and green salad. V good!
Snack lots of green and black olives V good

Today
B no time for breakfast except black coffee
L ham, olives, lettuce, cucumber, yoghurt yep
D ribs, chicken drumsticks in Piri piri marinade, salad, tiny bit of popcorn with butter great until the popcorn - really?
Loads of water, at least 2 litres with one to go! great

BIWI Fri 19-Jul-13 23:55:09

grin

Go, Beryl, go!!!

CrabbyBigBottom Sat 20-Jul-13 00:00:55

Bless you thank you BIWI you just do it instinctively at a time like that I think tbh. As a CFR you just do what you do but we aren't ever sent to RTCs so that's not something you prepare for, just totally shocking and you wing it. Honestly I've spent the whole afternoon thinking and analysing and rethinking every tiny thing I did and said and wondering what I could/should have done differently. I know T has done the same (and I'm sure a hell of a lot more effectively than me!!). I'm just so utterly fucking thrilled that he wasn't made worse/paralysed by us having to move him. He's only 19! Just fucking awful.

Anyhow, B/L was a little smorgasbord of fried tomatoes and chorizo with manchego cheese and olives. Then all that and the mint magnum (lush!) and then the elderflower disaster, then fabulous low carb lamb shank curry (as linked to lately, would totally recommend that you make this as it's bloody wonderful) with spicy cauli and spinach etc.

Much much too much wine, but friend (who was driving car, rest of family in car behind) came round and we drank too much wine reliving moments. Don't care tonight, think I deserve it!

BerylStreep Sat 20-Jul-13 00:02:08

Crabby that sounds dreadful. I think in the circumstances the ice cream was well deserved, and you only had a sip of the elderberry.

I hope the m/cyclist is ok. I know from experience that these things can haunt you for a few days - don't be surprised if you don't sleep too well tonight, and be easy on yourself.

I always remember from years ago being taught to treat shock with sweet tea - I have no idea why, but perhaps blood sugars go a bit awry after something like that?

BerylStreep Sat 20-Jul-13 00:14:00

I made my most amazing spiced aubergine with shiratake noodles tonight.

I posted the recipe a couple of weeks ago, and it is absolutely delicious!

Very briefly: Aubergine, finely diced, fried in olive oil. Garlic, chilli & cumin seeds thrown in. Then pine-nuts (and a few sultanas). Add the shiratake noodles, along with lemon juice & zest, and fresh chopped coriander.

Serve with coriander pesto - parmesan, garlic, red chilli and coriander, whizzed with olive oil.

Amazing.

timidviper Sat 20-Jul-13 01:01:39

Crabby Well done. These things are traumatic, no matter how well you are trained it is still hard. It sounds like you did a great job and you deserve your wine!

Negative today - I have eaten crap blush
Positive today - Our local Morrisons has been done up and now has an ace fruit and veg department. Bought 2 celeriac and a kohlrabi today. Anyone know what to do with kohlrabi? confused

hazchem Sat 20-Jul-13 02:17:40

I'm only popping on to post something ridiculous. I'm mildly dyslexic and just realised that timidviper 's name is in fact TIMIDviper and not TMIviper. grin

Oh I've been on the boot camp for about 10 days now feeling much better. Although AF started yesterday and I've been very hungry for the last few days. So probably too much dairy but I';m trying to be kind to myself.

Secondsop Sat 20-Jul-13 05:45:55

Goodness crabby - that must have been really traumatic to witness but you did amazingly. I don't see what else you could have done apart from moving him (well apart from potentially leaving the poor lad to burn and that's just not an option is it). I witnessed an accident once where 2 motorbikes crashed into a car and one man flew through the air and hit another car and the other motorbike ended up about a foot away from me and it took me ages to get over it and it also took me ages to process what my eyes had seen - I kept ringing the police with different bits of information that I'd missed off my first statement as I only remembered them afterwards. What shocked me is that this took place in a busy London street and yet the police said I was the ONLY person who had come forward as a witness. So when you think about what YOU did, when so many people wouldn't even bother to give a statement in those circumstances, it's incredible.

StuntNun Sat 20-Jul-13 08:01:08

It sounds like the poor lad was very lucky you were passing Crabby. A lot of people freeze in panic in a situation like that so if you were able to respond to him so quickly I'm sure it made a big difference.

No idea what a kohlrabi is Timid, I will be watching with interest.

One of DH's pals just posted a courgette crisps recipe on Facebook. It involves ground almonds and Parmesan so sounds like a low-carb recipe. I'll get hold of the recipe, could be a lifesaver for crisp addicts like me and Buffy.

So yesterday's Refreshers incident... well AF arrived today, my first since starting the WOE and carb-craving would be a typical pre-menstrual symptom for me so I don't feel so bad about it. My cycles have been all over the show (12-32 days) so I never know when it's coming.

Well, post-holiday it's time to pay the piper - 3.5 lb up on my pre-holiday weight. Official weigh in isn't until Monday so I have a couple of days of water drinking and proper food to maybe shift a bit of that. Unfortunately DH has brought a haggis back from Scotland which I expect is very high carb since it has barley in. Sabotaged again!

CorrieDale Sat 20-Jul-13 08:09:21

After 5 days of eggy breakfasts I am currently enjoying total Greek yogurt with vanilla almonds and a touch of truvia and it's actually very nice. If I am still low carbing when we go on hols (14 August and a wetsuit will be involvedshock) I'll ring the changes with some berries. I do feel so much better than I did a week ago. Feels kind of odd.

OhCobblers Sat 20-Jul-13 09:28:39

beryl I really thought the whitebait was ok? It was a toss up between those and the tiger prawns with mayo - I thought both were ok?

The rest of it? You're right - spoilt it even further by eating 6 chicken wings with Piri Piri late last night. Then checked packaging - not good.

Starting again today. Would it be easier for a couple of weeks to just stick to the same meals every day until I go on holiday? That way I might see a change before I go?

captainmummy Sat 20-Jul-13 09:33:35

Viper - kohlrabi is lilke a turnip , eaten a lot on the continent. My mum cooks it in a mustardy white sauce, but you could slice and gratin it, or dauphinoise it, or mash it (actually don't know what it would be like mashed...)
Well done on your lifesaving Crabby. I think i'd be runnig the other way, esp if there is a burning bike. That would also give me nightmares.

Just had bacon, mushrooms and fried eggs!

This thread is not accepting new messages.