The new Paleo/Primal thread - please reintroduce yourself, newcomers welcome!

(906 Posts)
misscph1973 Mon 24-Jun-13 13:53:00

Wow, we got to 1000 messages!

Welcome back from the previous thread and welcome to all new!

I have been Paleo since September last year, I started as an ex-vegetarian/vegan, I wanted to give up gluten and I had been doing 5:2/IF, which lead me to Paleo/primal. I am 40, I have 2 kids age 8 and 6. I have no major health issues, but I would like it to stay that way. I have bad skin, which has improved since starting Paleo and my dandruff has disappeared. I have gained some weight since starting Paleo, but I was not overweight before, although I would like to get back on my pre Paleo weight - I just love Paleo mayonnaise too much ;) I still practice IF and I lift weights 2-3 times per week. My family is also Paleo.

I have just come back from a camping weekend where I was not strict Paleo as I was camping with other families and I just didn't want to spend my entire weekend telling my kids "no, you cant have it". I do think that Paleo camping is entirely possible, think tinned fish, nuts, sausages, eggs etc.

RawCoconutMacaroon Sat 14-Dec-13 18:58:30

For questions about all grains and health, I direct you to Marks Daily Apple. It's not just about the gluten and similar proteins in all grains, Lectins and other nasties are also a problem... But so is the absolute amount of carbohydrate a person eats.

For baking, nut and coconut flours with honey or sugar (in much smaller amounts than you'd find in any bought cake), are a much better option for occasional treats. The Internet is full of free recipe blogs just google "paleo baking" or try Grass Fed Girl blog (that's where the very good paleo fat bomb choc brownie/muffin mix came from that was mentioned up thread).

Bad... Sorry to hear about your health issues, I have had similar but managed to keep hold of my gallbladder when I changed to paleo by very carefully increasing my fat intake (gallbladder NEEDS fat to function). Low fat diets interfere with the way the gallbladder works and can cause stones and sludge to gather... But interestingly, autoimmune issues caused by wheat and/or other grains can too, it might be worth you reading Wheat belly blog as there is a family history of coeliac so a good chance you are in the process of developing it too, given that you already have health issues which are much more common in coeliac (were you offered a test?). I am pretty sure I am not coeliac myself because my iron levels have always been really good but I clearly have a problem with gluten (and showed high antibody levels to ALL of the grains when I had private blood tests done). The thing is, Coeliac is the tip of the iceberg as far as gluten/lectins go.

You'd probably struggle to find a dr in this country (uk) who'd even entertain the idea that grains (and the amount of grains we eat) are responsible for many illnesses (and much of the autoimmune disease that plagues modern societies), and they are not a "natural" food for humans (or our animals come to that!).

But I'm one of the crazies (as in " you don't eat bread?! thats crazy!). The blogs I mentioned above are really good sources of info, read, make up your own mind, it's very interesting stuff smile.

andagiraffeinapineappletree Sat 14-Dec-13 18:59:15

Sorry to hear that Badvoc sad

I think its ok to fall off the wagon - it helps reinforce that we are better off without certain foods.

My suggestion is to keep a food diary.

Sorry no experience but I am thinking of trying a FODMAPs diet in the new year, it cuts out things like onions and I imagine it might work for GERD. Here is a link that might be interesting, found it by googling but looks like it might be relevant chriskresser.com/more-evidence-to-support-the-theory-that-gerd-is-caused-by-bacterial-overgrowth

andagiraffeinapineappletree Sat 14-Dec-13 19:03:21

sorry if i sounded off, the children started to have a row so had to typed and dash!

Thank you both.
I will check one out.
I know what I need to do..it's having for willpower to do it smile

andagiraffeinapineappletree Sat 14-Dec-13 22:54:15

I know what you mean. I was saying to dp earlier I feel better and less hungry for not eating bread and his response was you already knew that...

Thanks for the advice about gluten free flour. And I know you're all right! It's something about this time of year I reckon, when it gets dark earlier and I'm having a mug of tea and reading my book.

Ironically as soon as I posted, there was a Chris Kresser post on my Bloglovin about wheat and how it affects autoimmune diseases.

We bought some cinnamon stars at the bakers, which are paleo and very tasty.

RawCoconutMacaroon Sun 15-Dec-13 20:43:43

Ooooh, the cinnamon stars sound good- fairly festive too... I might try those with a bit of ginger in some of them, could be quite Christmassy!

RawCoconutMacaroon Sun 15-Dec-13 20:55:02

Interestingly today my DH showed me a thread on "doctors net", a closed site for drs (basically mumsnet for drs!).

The thread is a discussion about low carb diets and opinions were varied but several posters were clearly paleo/primal from their answers, but were treading a fine line trying to not sound too crazy and reactionary while saying they do advice patients to cut down on carb intake for health as well as weight. A few other posters are clearly not convinced but are asking plenty of questions...

I think it's great that its being discussed (it was initially with reference to type 2 diabetes and dietary advice). Many seem to be advising diabetics to cut carb consumption fairly drastically (which is not the official advice), because it works, even if they are not sure why.

andagiraffeinapineappletree Sun 15-Dec-13 23:14:51

That's interesting about doctors net. I guess there is a level of covering their own backs by advising people to follow standard dietry advice?

The cinnamon stars do sound good - I love cinnamon, would add it to most foods given the choice!

Mary2010xx Mon 16-Dec-13 07:58:49

I think it will take the NHS about 20 years to climb down totally and admit going for low fat / high sugar has ruined the nations health. Far too many dieticians and doctors have grown up with a food pyramid showing loads of carbs at the bottom. To make them reverse that and go for good high animal fat, medium protein and then low carb is a huge reversal. Same with schools.

Sweden is usually ahead of us and their medical profession is starting to be convinced first.

I am reading wheat belly ATM.
Makes for very disturbing reading. Read dr John briffa last year and would recommend that too.
Determined to do this. I cannot go on like this. My health is suffering so much sad
It's interesting that gluten free stuff is not recommend either...

Mary2010xx Mon 16-Dec-13 10:09:49

I certainly used to love a lot of good bread and trips to the bread shop but since I just about entirely gave it up 3 or 4 years ago I don't need or want it at all. It would have been my typical lunch on the go - a Pret sandwich etc. A lot of people binge eat on french bread and the like even when not hungry. It is definitely a food to avoid if you can manage it. yet it is such a part of our culture - give us this day our daily bread etc.

Peekska Mon 16-Dec-13 10:43:45

I'm currently trying to switch my eating to a Primal type diet.
I just wanted to comment about the NHS. My GP recently referred me to a dietician. Needless to say, I was given pretty much the same advice I'd have been given in 1993.
We have a long way to go.

Yes Mary...that's a point that wheat belly makes - it is part of our culture.
I am not cutting out dairy...albeit I don't have a lot anyway, just a Splash of skim milk in my decaf coffee.

Peekska Mon 16-Dec-13 11:46:27

I also meant to ask, talking of binge eating on bread, does anyone have experience of bread, messing with their skin? I've eaten loads of bread over the weekend - despite trying not to - and my face looks flushed and irritated today. I'm not using any new skincare or make up products, and suspect it's the wheat. I know it's not good for me but find it very hard to give it up.

RawCoconutMacaroon Mon 16-Dec-13 21:16:13

Wheat/grains and skin... Yes, random rashes, flushed face, bumpy skin on arms and legs all disappeared when I adopted paleo woe. I don't eat ANY gluten containing grains now (for a couple of years). But even maize, which I may have a very small amount of sometimes, makes my face flush and eyes/lips dry.

It is really common to have improvements to skin after giving up grains - often people weren't aware that they had skin problems until they got BETTER skin all of a sudden!

Some if that will be due to grain intolerances but I'm sure some of it is also due to additives and dodgy ingredients in the grain foods you stop eating on a "clean" diet iykwim!

Have any of you gone dairy free too?

andagiraffeinapineappletree Tue 17-Dec-13 15:24:51

I kind of look better when I first go back to bread - I now have lightbulb moment why and its prob because it gives me a flush from inflamation rather than good health.

I gave up dairy for a while badvoc it doesnt seem to affect me other than making my nose a bit stuffy.

Mary2010xx Tue 17-Dec-13 17:39:08

I don't have many dairy products. No one in the house now has milk so we do not buy any at all. I do use butter. I sometimes have a piece of cheese.

I don't eat cheese.
I do use skim milk in drinks and use butter too.
Don't eat yoghurt either.
I figure I'm not lactose intolerant - have tried lacto free milk and it made no difference.
am also still eating chocolate ATM, but hope to cut down after Xmas!

RawCoconutMacaroon Tue 17-Dec-13 21:19:14

I don't have milk, but have some raw cheese (would have more but I get migraine if I have more than a little bit). I use some butter for cooking (kerrygold), and have double cream in my gloriously full caffeine coffee.

The lactose in milk does affect me but butter, cream and cheese are ok for me from that pov. Also, milk spikes blood sugar a lot more than you'd think from the carbohydrate level (I do blood sugar testing sometimes to see how different foods affect me). Blood sugar spike s mean hunger a couple of hours later so I avoid.

Mary1972 Thu 26-Dec-13 06:42:24

Re. it will take 20 years for the NHS to realise a food pyramid with masses of carbs at the bottom and good fats all classed as bad is not a great pyramid to use..... I was reading a book written by a family member, a doctor and near the end is some typical or suggested normal meals - they are absolutely dreadful, tiny bit of protein and every food mentioned as "low fat" and also a diet coke thrown in there. Not in my view good or normal food at all. We have a long way to go to improve what most people eat back to the normal foods people ate for about a million years.

FaceDirectionOfTravel Fri 27-Dec-13 19:21:41

Hello all - am just coming back on this thread as I have fallen off. Am having AMAZING success with the 16:8 (ish) eating window approach - have lost half a stone in the last month which is totally unheard of.

I'll eat breakfast about 9 after the kids have gone to school - three eggs omelette (cooked in olive oil) with loads of veg. Am still watching cholesterol so avoiding coconut oil.

Lunch is often a bit snacky - cheese or tuna salad, bit of fruit, maybe soup.

Tea with the children - sweet potato and meat and more veg/salad, or whatever.

I am not snacking in the evenings for the most part. (But am not very strict about this if I am very hungry, hormonal or tired).

I am finding it hard to care about what I eat, particularly - sometimes I get into a food rut and wonder why I don't want to eat and then realise it is because I am bored and lazy. grin I need to shake it up a bit - but only a bit, really. For the most part I am pretty happy eating food that nourishes me, satisfies me, doesn't give me weird cravings and that I can WAIT TO EAT. This is such a change from a few months ago.

I've lost a stone overall in about eight months, I guess. Not world record breaking but this is a big deal for me as I don't imagine it will go back on.

Eating a bit of gluten over Christmas had had an immediate deleterious effect on my digestion so I am glad to be back to eating my normal food.

Sorry - mammoth boring post, especially as I am preaching to the converted!

RawCoconutMacaroon Fri 27-Dec-13 21:15:46

That's great... But why are you watching cholesterol? Get thee to Marks Daily Apple (or similar paleo/primal blog) and read up on why you don't need to worry about the saturated fats in coconut oil (or natural animal fats). True, your total number might go up a little on a primal/paleo diet, but cut out the transfats and processed seed oils and the ratio of "good" to "bad" cholesterol should improve a lot, which is the crucial thing health wise smile. Lovely stuff, is coconut!

I'm feeling a bit overindulged myself - I've remained gluten/wheat free over Christmas(I react so quickly to it, it's just not worth the pain), but I've had a few "gluten free" things (Christmas cake, stuffing etc), when I usually have no grains at all, and now I feel bloated, headachy and blotchy skinned (sigh, I was aware that that would happen and I should know better by now!!!!!).

Back to "clean" food on Monday, I have the nightmare of a weekend at the inlaws to deal with first!

Just got to work to find the NHS is launching a new 'evidence-based' weight-loss plan based on low fat, high fibre. Jeez, I don't think even most NHS staff believe it works anymore.

www.nhs.uk/Tools/Documents/WEIGHT-LOSS-PACK/week-1.pdf

Now where's my fat and protein?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now