ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

The new Paleo/Primal thread - please reintroduce yourself, newcomers welcome!

(906 Posts)
misscph1973 Mon 24-Jun-13 13:53:00

Wow, we got to 1000 messages!

Welcome back from the previous thread and welcome to all new!

I have been Paleo since September last year, I started as an ex-vegetarian/vegan, I wanted to give up gluten and I had been doing 5:2/IF, which lead me to Paleo/primal. I am 40, I have 2 kids age 8 and 6. I have no major health issues, but I would like it to stay that way. I have bad skin, which has improved since starting Paleo and my dandruff has disappeared. I have gained some weight since starting Paleo, but I was not overweight before, although I would like to get back on my pre Paleo weight - I just love Paleo mayonnaise too much ;) I still practice IF and I lift weights 2-3 times per week. My family is also Paleo.

I have just come back from a camping weekend where I was not strict Paleo as I was camping with other families and I just didn't want to spend my entire weekend telling my kids "no, you cant have it". I do think that Paleo camping is entirely possible, think tinned fish, nuts, sausages, eggs etc.

Oh yeah, used to drink 2 bottles beer every night [ face palm]

RawCoconutMacaroon Thu 15-Aug-13 20:36:25

Fantastic result Trucks! A large reduction in waist size relative to weight lose (I'm not in anyway minimising your success by saying that), and belly fat loss is a great marker for improved health.

I have no idea what my waist size was 26/28 jeans 6.5 stones ago, now a 12 (fairly tight), very hourglass rather than almost round blush

snowlie Thu 15-Aug-13 22:03:13

What a change trucks you must be feeling amazing!

Had a really lovely dinner tonight, just by using up the scraps in the fridge. I made a smoked chicken, chorizo and fresh tomato stew and served it with roasted carrots....and despite dd being in a slight sulk because she had requested curry, it was declared an all out winner.

Last nights went down well too - General Tso's chicken served with broccoli and rice(for the dcs). Our trip to the Chinese supermarket yielded some interesting dried sweet potato which just tasted like jelly sweets - only additive was 10% sugar - I can live with that! Dcs also currently obsessed with crystalised ginger.

Tomorrow night I will attempt another version of Paleo pizza this time it's made win Tapioca flour <rolls eyes> well you never know when you are going to hit upon a Friday night classic.

What's everyone else eating?

giraffeseatpineapples Fri 16-Aug-13 00:28:22

Have to agree on the joint thing, I don't get much knee pain now, also less achey when I get out of bed in the morning.

babylan welcome- missed your post before

Well done on inch loss trucks and goodas!

giraffeseatpineapples Sat 17-Aug-13 17:10:38

snow how did tapioca pizza go grin ? I have been looking for tapioca flour without luck, did you get yours online?

snowlie Sat 17-Aug-13 17:28:54

I didn't make it - too tired, had steak and chips instead - the real kind made with lard!

Bought primal girls magic dough recipe, cost $3.95 - I hope it's good for that price.....won't get to try it out for a few weeks as we have guests staying all week and then we're on hols. Don't like experimenting on fussy kids, would rather just feed them whatever it is they like and have their own parents educate their tastebuds.
Currently we have a child staying with us whose parents have brought his food - he's having crisps for lunch, sweets and chocolate for afternoon snack. Oreos and milk for dinner and a breakfast bar in the morning, I'm a bit shocked tbh, I knew he was fussy but that's shocking! So far he has eaten some cucumber and my homemade bread - the wheat kind! Not great but his parents were very pleased.

snowlie Sat 17-Aug-13 17:30:00

Tapioca flour can be bought at an Asian grocers, I got mine a while back online.

dementedma Sat 17-Aug-13 18:21:36

Only just heard about paleo and would like to give it a go if I can. I fail at diets because I hate being hungry.is there a list somewhere for total beginners as to what one should and shouldn't eat on this programme?

Go look at Marks daily apple site for free shopping list and recipes smile I love that site. Ok he's selling vitamin supps but you don't have to buy and the newsletter is great, as is the Friday success stories

buildingmycorestrength Sat 17-Aug-13 20:21:12

Just back from two weeks in France. Had to try a bit of bread and croissants while there, and decided not to worry about it too much as I was on holiday.

BUT after two days I was actually visibly inflated round the middle, and sooo constipated with massive painful spots (sorry if TMI) that I had to revert back to avoiding wheat. It was a bit of a pain if we ate out but I felt better for it, and I could usually get a salad. I just made sure to have bananas and sweet potatoes back at the villa.

So. Not sure I'll bother again, but it is sometimes hard to believe it can have so much effect, so I might forget again. I found a hypnosis for helping to stick to a gluten-free diet at hypnosisdownloads.com, but not sure if I need it.

buildingmycorestrength Sat 17-Aug-13 20:26:55

It starts I also have CFS. I followed advice on here about making sure I have enough carbs and it makes a big difference. I always have at least a banana and a sweet potato and some other fruit, as well as a bit of chocolate each day. My weight is admittedly dropping slowly but I'm okay with that as it definitely coming off. I have to try to maintain a minimal level of functioning so can't afford to do anything that takes me below that. HTH.

marzipananimal Sat 17-Aug-13 21:10:53

What do people think about cholesterol? My parents are thinking of trying low carb/paleo but my dad has had high cholesterol results, though he's not overweight or anything, and my mum is worried about him eating too much fat

giraffeseatpineapples Sun 18-Aug-13 02:18:18

building I think it would feel wrong to go to france and not taste croissants grin We are a bit wheaty at the mo and finding it hard to get back on track, I think you def made the right move in stopping when it was disagreeing with you even though you were on hol. Glad the weight is coming off and things are working

snow glad your your young guest had some cucumber. oreos bread and cucumber sounds like my dc's dream meal! Gluten free baking can be really stressful, time consuming and expensive - makes sense to wait. I had a disaster trying to make gluten free nann bread when we had children round - the whole meal suffered.

dementedma welcome - good description of paleo here nomnompaleo.com/paleo101

marzipanimal I think cholestrol is complicated some indicators might go up while others go down.

giraffeseatpineapples Wed 21-Aug-13 23:13:08

Oh no I killed the thread sad Hopefully everyone is off on hol and it will be resucitated soon!

I have started having coconut milk in my tea again but using a different brand (possibly creamier), anyway it seems to be giving me tummy ache but didn't before. Any ideas? On a brighter note I have discovered the yumminess of fried bananas sprinkled with mixed spice!

buildingmycorestrength Thu 22-Aug-13 08:16:56

Giraffes hello. grin. Was wondering how everyone is getting on. Hope all well.

RawCoconutMacaroon Thu 22-Aug-13 13:36:27

Have you checked the ingredients on the coconut milk? Some of them have a pile of chemical shit in them... I find it difficult to get "good" stuff with only coconut and perhaps a bit of citric acid in.

As usual the low fat versions (which I don't buy) are even worse for added ingredients.

buildingmycorestrength Thu 22-Aug-13 13:50:28

Maybe a little late in the season for this but maybe we could share salad dressing ideas? Am not overly bothered about strictness of paleo-ness of the ingredients ... quite important for to avoid orthorexia so if I'm in the right area with fish/meats and salads then I'm pretty satisfied and think that a bit of the 'wrong' oil won't be too terrible.

Obviously balsamic vinegar and olive oil is a fave.

I also love soy sauce, orange juice, bit of crushed garlic and toasted sesame oil on grated carrot and beetroot.

RawCoconutMacaroon Thu 22-Aug-13 14:05:36

Not quite a dressing, but mashed avocado is lovely with salad.

Apple cider vinegar with a bit of olive oil and a few herbs is good.

oohdaddypig Thu 22-Aug-13 15:02:36

Hello all.

Giraffes you didn't kill the thread. I've been reading but had a hectic week...

Building - sorry if I'm being rude but I didn't understand the orthorexia bit. Do you mean you don't want to restrict too much? I think paleo has so many meanings now that I don't see it as a restrictive way of eating. I basically try to avoid all grains and bad oils and sugars like Fructose syrup, and legumes. I don't find it hard to stick to though although eating out can be tricky....

Like the idea of sharing salad dressing. I've been making homemade garlic mayo with egg yolk, olive oil, garlic. Stinky but delicious!

Rawcoconut - could you please give me your recipe for coconut macaroon? I adore them but the shop bought ones are full of sugar... I hope you live up to your name smile

Coconut milk - I used the canned stuff occasionally - organic stuff from my health stuff with no added ingredients. Coconut milk is one thing you really have to read the labels on. You can make your own with desiccated coconut - or a real coconut. I tried it last year with reasonable success...!! Google has recipes.

Hope everyone is well x

giraffeseatpineapples Thu 22-Aug-13 21:22:41

Phew! grin

BMCS I had never heard of orthorexia looked it up and can see its worth keeping in mind, esp for people prone to eating disorders. Being relaxed about it all makes sense and mark Sissons and John briffa both reccommend a healthy, enjoy life, 80 20 approach (i actually find that quite tricky though!). Like oohdaddypig I think there are too many versions for it to be possible to follow a pure version so long as you read a variety of blogs etc. There is even disagreement about the wonderfood coconut!

Just checked the spare tin - I had essential organic coconut milk, if label is correct it is 55% coconut and the rest is water. ironically thats probably the most 'pure' one I have had, maybe in the past brands have been more diluted.

oohdaddypig Thu 22-Aug-13 21:52:33

Giraffes, that's interesting about the 80/20 approach. I thought wheat was sufficiently damaging to your gut that's its worth completely avoiding. It's the only think I am completely 100% about anyway. Weirdly I don't miss it at all, maybe because I still eat rice etc... I am slowly taking my kids off gluten too as the more I read the more sense it makes. That will never happen completely though!

I didn't realise anyone thought coconut was "bad"....

RawCoconutMacaroon Fri 23-Aug-13 07:36:19

I react to both gluten and also maize derivatives badly enough that I don't do the 80/20 thing, I need to be real label hawk about it. The list of names for wheat and maize derivatives is as long as my arm. These products are, or should be gluten free but I react anyway... I just tend to make everything from scratch now.

I think 80/20 makes a lot of sense for people that have no obvious reactions and want to eat out or have the occasional "normal" thing like birthday cake although the danger is 80/20 becomes 50/50 and the health benefits are lost. I do think gluten containing grains is the one thing people should consider never eating again, I mean everybody shock.

I'm probably about 90/10, the 10% being meals containing white rice and sugar (cane, maple, raw honey)... Those are my cheat meals these days!

The toddler eats what we do, but with a lot more banana, starchy veg - no grains other than rice in his daily diet, they older ones (teens) eat some bread, but is say they are eating about a third less carbs than their friends, and are interested in the ancestral eating concept... They are old enough to make their own choices. Everything they eat at home is primal/paleo.

buildingmycorestrength Fri 23-Aug-13 08:10:07

Just quickly, I obviously understand that some people really need to be label hawks because of intolerance. Maybe that will be me in a year or two but right now I could send myself over the edge if I made all this a bigger deal than it needs to be. I've found a great way of eating and stick to the general principles nearly all the time, really. But I could easily become someone who let's this take over my life and that would be awful for me.

So, for instance, for me, soy sauce is not something I am prepared to worry about right now. I don't care if it properly paleo or not, it is a tiny amount of food in comparison to the meat it goes on. If I was allergic then fair enough, I'd worry about it.

snowlie Fri 23-Aug-13 08:10:32

I avoid wheat but that because of how uncomfortable I feel after eating it, nothing like pain to keep you on the straight and narrow. I also have to avoid sugar as it makes my mouth sore and causes insomnia. Almonds inflame my eczema. Funny the stuff you learn about foods when you really start paying attention to your diet. I don't feel bad when I eat potatoes or rice, but I eat them as an exception maybe once a month.

I cheat with alcohol - wine is my weakness.

I have a theory that the body is fine with wheat in moderation but most people don't eat it in moderation and often people eat it to excess having it for breakfast, lunch and dinner, never mind the cakes and biscuits too, and i think for many people the body becomes overwhelmed, almost like you have exceeded your limit.....the older you get the more overloaded your body becomes, so I'm trying to keep the dc's wheat consumption low, but that is mostly at home, when out they are free to eat as they please.

Have been experimenting with making bread with spelt flour as a treat, definitely less gluten in it because it's fairly hard to work with but you know sometimes they want pizza and Paleo pizza doesn't cut it and neither does shop bought....a spelt pizza once a month isn't too excessive.

Made the dcs some blueberry and chocolate donuts - paleofied of course - now there's honey in there but there's also all that good stuff like eggs, coconut oil, blueberries, 85%cocoa.....and no artificial rubbish....to me that's definitely worth doing, treats don't have to be nutritionally void.

Off to France tomorrow - I suspect the whole family will fall face first into baguettes and croissants and pastries, but not me this time.....which is a bit sad.

RawCoconutMacaroon Fri 23-Aug-13 14:48:52

Yes, the intolerance or allergy thing is really interesting.

Before I stopped eating grains, I was really sick all the time. Things like stomach or gut pain, or bloat, or migraine were more obviously "something I eat", but joint and muscle pain, RI, gallbladder disease, hair losses.... Lots of complaints, not very easy to pin on diet.

Initially, when I first started this Woe properly, I could eat small quantities of maize, potatoes and even gluten without things flaring up, and I felt well. But now I seem to react more (faster, more painfully) to smaller quantities of these.

I don't know if not eating these things mean I actually react to them more, or if I'm just a lot more aware of it because I'm not chronically unwell from eating them all the time iykwim!

I also think that below a certain amount, some grains in the everyday diet do only minimal damage (to most people). But our standard diet since about the 1980 has gone way over that "safer level", with new grain varieties, new sugars and new fats all added into our diets (and all the chemical additives too).

Imvho, if our kids can grow up eating a lot less of these things, they will have a much lower chance of developing health issues in the first place.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now