The new Paleo/Primal thread - please reintroduce yourself, newcomers welcome!

(906 Posts)
misscph1973 Mon 24-Jun-13 13:53:00

Wow, we got to 1000 messages!

Welcome back from the previous thread and welcome to all new!

I have been Paleo since September last year, I started as an ex-vegetarian/vegan, I wanted to give up gluten and I had been doing 5:2/IF, which lead me to Paleo/primal. I am 40, I have 2 kids age 8 and 6. I have no major health issues, but I would like it to stay that way. I have bad skin, which has improved since starting Paleo and my dandruff has disappeared. I have gained some weight since starting Paleo, but I was not overweight before, although I would like to get back on my pre Paleo weight - I just love Paleo mayonnaise too much ;) I still practice IF and I lift weights 2-3 times per week. My family is also Paleo.

I have just come back from a camping weekend where I was not strict Paleo as I was camping with other families and I just didn't want to spend my entire weekend telling my kids "no, you cant have it". I do think that Paleo camping is entirely possible, think tinned fish, nuts, sausages, eggs etc.

FoxPass Tue 06-Aug-13 09:56:18

I don't know if grains can damage your gut wall but they feed candida. When candida switches to it's fungal form (rather than yeast) it grows roots which pierce the gut wall and lead to leaky gut. It is then more like a parasite and will make you very unwell indeed!

The candida infestation I had was affecting my thyroid function which in turn was messing with my hormones big time. I was totally staggered to learn the impact diet makes to overall health (I feel silly saying that but nobody teaches you these things.) Everything is connected!

No I feel like I have healed my gut and like you say, my tastebuds are reset and I can enjoy food as it should be! I also think grains are evil grin

PeoniesPlease Tue 06-Aug-13 10:23:16

Thanks for the info about thyroids. I'm going to have a big read of the perfect health diet to see what they say about it.

FoxPass - from what you say about the gluten/thyroid link, do you think it would be worth taking supplements of magnesium and Vit D, as well as the selenium and iodine? I already use epsom salts when I have a bath, but don't really take any supplements at the moment. I also intend to supplement with a good quality omega 3 fish oil.

I'm coming to the conclusion that grains are evil too!

FoxPass Tue 06-Aug-13 12:00:07

peonies I take a spoonful of coconut oil every day as it is very good for supporting thyroid function. I also eat 3 brazil nuts for selenium and use a magnesium spray daily.

I'm not sure what else directly supports thyroid function but I also take a multivitamin and omega 3 oils daily.

PeoniesPlease Tue 06-Aug-13 21:40:23

Thanks Fox, I already cook with coconut oil quite a lot so hopefully I'm getting that anyway. Will do more research into whether other supplements would be helpful.

oohdaddypig Tue 06-Aug-13 21:48:08

Rawcoconut - do you think you could clarify your views on grains, please? grin

Actually I don't disagree with you. I think that properly prepared grains a la Nourishing Traditions book are probably ok but no one does that anymore....

Paeonies - I'm fairly certain that I was subclinically hypothyroid before I came to all this. (A number of years of preg and b/feeding had been the final straw for my overly taxed body). My diet was probably ok ish - lots of fruit and veg but I ate grains. Anyway, I'm now taking magnesium, vit d, vit k and iodine and vit c daily, b vits and selenium once/twice a week, as well as being primal plus safe carbs. The perfect health diet folk don't recommend either a multivitamin or fish oils - it's all there on the website, it's fascinating reading.

I do know that taking iodine for hypothyroid issues is very controversial. The theory seems to be that it helps only if selenium and magnesium levels are ok too. But you don't want to take too much selenium either.... Also, there is also a theory that too low carb can exacerbate hypothyroidism in the long run. Minimal carb definitely did not agree with me so I eat white rice and white potato.

My DH is slightly horrified by my diet (aghast that I eat eggs in butter most days etc) so I have agreed to get my cholesterol checked. I'm slightly scared about it - what if my levels are sky high hmm!!

oohdaddypig Tue 06-Aug-13 21:54:52

Ps fox pass - I agree with you about feeling staggered by it all. I think I have heard "eat whole grain" and "low fat" so long that you don't question any other way.

I couldn't believe how crap I was feeling 3 months ago. Chronic sinusitis, brain fog, exhaustion, always cold, dry skin, gut issues. Yet all blood tests "normal".

2 weeks into my changes, it began to lift. I have a long way to go but all conventional medicine could offer me was nasal steroids!

I try not be too evangelical to others with similar health issues as I know it's not everyone's cup of tea. But I do wonder why there isn't more focus by governments into diet and modern living and the rise in all the weird issues mentioned by rawcoconut...

RawCoconutMacaroon Tue 06-Aug-13 23:14:20

For clarity! Grains=evil grin.

Magnesium- it very poorly absorbed from suplements and even from food, which is why the body using magnesium stores to process grain toxins is a problem- it leads to deficiencies.

Magnesium baths are good (dead sea salts for example), it's expensive but you can cut it with Epsom salts, as the sulphates in that are good too. Both are good for the skin but may initially cause minor rash (the magnesium salts anyway) so use smaller amounts to start with.... Or you could swim in the sea daily!

RawCoconutMacaroon Tue 06-Aug-13 23:19:54

Ohdsddypig - yes, there are good reasons why traditional cultures prepared food stuffs in certain ways.

I don't think I would try the sprouted or soaked, fermented grains now, but I bet if I'd been raised eating them, I would never have developed the food allergies, intolerances and immune issues.
I think modern preparation methods as well as the sheer amount of grain foods we are told to eat are both a big part of the problem.

RawCoconutMacaroon Wed 07-Aug-13 07:46:22

Ohdaddypig- cholesterol check, remember its not the total number that's the important thing but the ratio of high to low density cholesterol, so a higher number, but with a healthy ratio is better than a low number with the wrong ratio,

And testing you numbers now, is not going to tell you what it was before paleo- just suppose you get a bad result, maybe it was worse before paleo iykwim, so retest in 3 or 6months...

Wilding Wed 07-Aug-13 10:01:04

Hello, everyone! Haven't been on any paleo/primal threads before but I saw this one and thought it would be nice to join in smile

I'm a relative newcomer to paleo - I first started reading/thinking about it when I read Escape the Diet Trap last year but was a veggie (of 20 years' standing!) at the time so it didn't really appeal. Then at the start of this year I joined a CrossFit gym and started rethinking what I was eating.

I've now been doing paleo for about 5 months and have started eating fish and meat again (experimentally). I have lost nearly a stone since the start of the year and feel much better when I'm eating this way, although I still get guilt pangs sometimes! Unfortunately I haven't been able to keep up the CrossFit due to money/location issues but I have signed up for Tough Mudder in September and am running and doing kettlebells at home in preparation for that. I never used to have much of a sweet toothy but I find that now it's my biggest weakness - I give myself Saturdays off so I can indulge.

Hi, thread dropped off my active list, summer holidays really interfering with my MN time grin

The summer holidays are also really interfering with my paleo diet! Doing the best I can - still off bread at least (it just seems so unappetising now!) - but just can't seem to settle into a routine of meals, keep missing at least one which means I usually end up eating SAD food.

GiraffesEatPineapples Thu 08-Aug-13 18:50:18

Hi all smile Wildings what exactly is cross fit. I would love to try kettlebells but cannot find an instructor. One of the paleo books I can get from the e library goes on about kettlebells being good for womens sex drive - fraid thats not the reason I want to try them though - apparently its an efficient way to excersise.

BeingMoreDog Fri 09-Aug-13 09:27:08

hello, I'd like to join. I want to cut gluten and sugar, so paleo seems a good approach. But I live on sugary carbs so it's going to be a tough one!
Please could you give me some ideas of quick, non-offally meals for the week ahead?

Wilding Fri 09-Aug-13 09:47:00

Hi Giraffes!

CrossFit is basically a sort of combination of weightlifting & gymnastics moves that you do in a group. It's supposed to turn you into the perfect all-rounder - good for strength, flexibility, stamina etc. It's very high-intensity and quite scary to start off with but I really loved it! Just sad that I can't do it now due to money/travel issues. There are a couple of videos here and here (disclaimer - I am nowhere near that level of fitness!)

Kettle bells are a great exercise tool - swings, especially, are a really good & quick way to build up core strength - but technique is really important and you really need someone to check that you're doing them properly as you can put your back out otherwise.

FavadiCacao Fri 09-Aug-13 09:55:32

I'll hold your hand snow smile
As someone with an acidic mouth, sugar is pure evil. It burns like hell! Have you tried switching to a Lauryl sulphate free toothpaste?
After a couple months without Lauryl Sulphate, I was able to eat sweeter fruit. I still don't go anywhere near sugar, molasses but I might taste an ice-cream with honey.

FavadiCacao Fri 09-Aug-13 10:25:06

Hello BeingMoreDog and welcome. smile

Ideas for the week ahead:
Butternut squash mash take only 5 minutes to cook.
Steamed vegetables with butter or olive oil (and lemon).
Stir fries.
Sweet potato, swede, butternut squash chips in the oven take about 15 minutes
Fish can be ready in 5-10 minutes
Minute steaks are incredibly versatile ( saltimbocca , pizzaiola and other sauces )
Avocado caprese with rocket salad
Avocado (mashed with garlic, lemon, chopped basil and a pinch of seasoning) with prawns or tuna served on lettuce leaves.

BeingMoreDog Fri 09-Aug-13 12:38:42

They sound delicious fava - I love avocado. Looking fwd to shopping tonight so can get going on this!

How about snacks? I need to reduce the sugary snacks, but keep the fatty ones as breastfeeding. I don't want to lose weight (could do with gaining a bit tbh), but I need to eat a lot more healthily.

Is natural yoghurt a go-er? I love that with seeds and nuts.

I love full fat Greek yog with seeds/ nuts berries too (also BF)

One month since starting this
Ten pounds down
Body shape changed.
Back in size 12.
Bikini pic on profile eeekk!

snowlie Fri 09-Aug-13 14:02:51

Well done trucks that's a great result.

Interesting Fava, will definitely give the sls free toothpaste a go - can you recommend one that doesn't taste hideous? I haven't had a flare up since I've gave up sugar and fruit, my mouth is still sore but bearable and doesn't interfere with eating and drinking. Off to google acidic mouth....

TheYamiOfYawn Fri 09-Aug-13 14:09:36

Am on my way back from a week being fed by in-laws, and I feel grim. Am writing a grocery shopping list on the train and if I get home in time to do grocery shopping will do a reset Whole30 starting tomorrow.

FavadiCacao Fri 09-Aug-13 15:17:44

Ultradex toothpaste and mouthwash (colour, flavour and alcohol free & PH neutral) are very good.

Well done, trucks smile

giraffeseatpineapples Fri 09-Aug-13 17:56:20

Yami, I will join you with whole 30 tomorrow (well at least whole 14, dp on hol end of month) I need boundaries!

Thanks wilding will check it out smile

BeingMoreDog - welcome!

Fav those ideas sound yum. Do you defrost frozen fish or just put it straight in oven?

giraffeseatpineapples Fri 09-Aug-13 22:45:35

OMG just watched the second cross fit link - safe to say no way i am doing that shock don't think I could even get onto a rope never mind climb up it....and as for flickflacks and hand stand push ups shock! I was not expecting that - 17 year old girl is like spiderman!

snowlie Sat 10-Aug-13 10:01:33

Brilliant Fava just got some. What is acidic mouth, have googled but it's a term that seems to be a applied to lots of conditions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now