Week 9 - Summer Low Carb Bootcamp - Wimbledon Fortnight!

(587 Posts)
BIWI Mon 24-Jun-13 08:46:50

Morning all.

Come and fill in the spreadsheet

Only two weeks to go before we finish this challenge. Time to drop a few more pounds!

But go easy with those strawberries ...

crabby don't forget the singing loudly though grin

Deffo want to try that squid dish, we love squid here and I didn't realise it was cheap, I never cook it at home. Shall maybe do it as my dish of something different this week.

We have friends and our baby godson popping over for a visit on Sat, off for a picnic with some friends on Sunday and the rest of the time I'll be GCSE marking - crazy days!

ChippingInWiredOnCoffee Fri 28-Jun-13 14:02:40

Crabby - I've never been on AD's so have no idea what I'm talking about... but, is it possible you need to go back to the dose you were on? Don't stop 'moaning' on our account - it's what we are here for!!

I'm going to a festival tomorrow - shame about the bloody weather!

Why bother with the squid - rubber bands are carb free grin

CrabbyBigBottom Fri 28-Jun-13 14:05:43

Loopy here's a recipe. wink

Do you have a slow cooker? You can get one for about 25 and it means you can buy the cheap cuts of meat and cook them until they are melt in the mouth tender. Great for cooking on a budget, and for cooking bulk and then freezing.

CrabbyBigBottom Fri 28-Jun-13 14:11:20

Chipping I've been on them for years and usually lower my dose in the spring/summer so I can increase it in the winter if I have to (I usually do have to). This is the third time I've tried this year to reduce, totally unsuccessfully. I've reduced by the tiniest possible amount and really want to get the dose down so I'll perseve for a while.

grin at squid rubber bands - you have to cook squid either very fast or veeeeery slowly, anything in between and it will indeed resemble an elastic band. If you slow cook it like in the recipe it is gloriously tender. wink

CrabbyBigBottom Fri 28-Jun-13 14:14:42

MrsH DD has just taken my ipod upstairs to listen to music while she reads. I'll make lunch and then blast some music to sing along to whilst I clean. I have to have really loud music for cleaning; Linkin park is just the right balance of noise and aggression for housework. grin

NewStartNewStory Fri 28-Jun-13 14:20:03

sorry for lack of chattiness today. have a bad fibro day and the fog has landed.

Chipping bad habit is a bacon and egg barm after training with a bottle of fizzy flavoured water. Not huge in the grand scheme of things but annoying as completely avoidable it it had registered on my mind.

TOM has appeared early and wondering if in part that played a small role in yesterdays wobble too. But really i want a woe for life a few small wobbles whilst fixing all the broken is ok and was going to happen. I am straight back on the wagon today and not even interested in the half bottle of fizzy water that is left over from yesterday. Could murder for some stronger pain killers right now though, just have to wait until bedtime.

Breakfast: coffee x 2 cups, scrambled eggs
Lunch: cheese and ham omelet plus a coffee

NewStartNewStory Fri 28-Jun-13 14:21:10

Crabby ds would quite agree with that statement. He is rather a fan of Linkin park

Linkin park is perfect!

daisychicken Fri 28-Jun-13 14:40:57

{{hugs}} Newstart (not mumsnet like I know but sometimes... only a hug will do!) I hope tomorrow proves to be a better day for you. I asked my GP for stronger painkillers yesterday.. She's taken me off one and given me another but only wants me to have one a week.... I'm sat here wondering when I can justify how bad the pain needs to be before I can have one..... confused

Have you tried swopping your flavoured fizzy water for plain fizzy water? Or even add a squirt of lemon juice? Would be better & lower carb than shop bought...

kotinka Fri 28-Jun-13 14:45:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

kotinka Fri 28-Jun-13 14:47:10

CrabbyBigBottom Fri 28-Jun-13 14:55:21

New and daisy so sorry that you're in pain. Daisy one a week??? WTF good is that? Even slow release morphine doesn't last that long, surely.

New I think your DS is probably more Linkin park's demographic than me, a plump, wrinkly 40 year old! grin My ears and brain haven't cottoned on that I'm not in my 20s any more.

Koti I could put Queen on and do my impression of Freddie Mercury in drag doing the hoovering to I Want To Break Free. My moustache is only marginally less obvious than his... hmm grin

CrabbyBigBottom Fri 28-Jun-13 14:57:31

God loads of people on here are probably too young to remember that video, aren't they. What a depressing thought!

CrabbyBigBottom Fri 28-Jun-13 14:59:38
ChippingInWiredOnCoffee Fri 28-Jun-13 15:10:08

Crabby - I understand re the AD's smile I think you are probably trying to do it too soon though - we haven't had anywhere near enough sunshine for it to help with anyone's moods. Myself and most of my friends are all feeling lower than normal, yet if the sun comes out we are all like sparrows on speed! See how you go - but maybe consider going back to your 'winter' dose until we get some decent sunshine!!
(I'm veggie - so wont be cooking squid. I just couldn't resist the wee bit of 'helpful' advice grin).

NewStart - sorry to hear about the fibro & the fog descending sad Let us know if we can help in any way x

Bacon & egg bap with a fizzy flavoured water... oh well, at least it's easy to convert to low carbing smile I love plain fizzy water - I keep trying to keep it as a 'treat' but to be honest, I end up mainlining the stuff!

My TOTM was early this month too (arrived on the 23rd day and lasted for 10 days on and off grrrr). I get much more hungry the two days before (that's how I know it's coming!) and I feel a lot more 'who gives a fuck' some months than others when I have it - this month was BAD! I craved crap I haven't wanted in ages. The trouble is, once you have something a bit carby it's hard to stop craving more sad What pain killers do you take at bed time? Do they knock you out too much to look after DD if you take them in the day?

Daisy - one a week? Really? That sounds like a pathetic solution to your pain sad

kotinka Fri 28-Jun-13 15:13:44

BlackAffronted Fri 28-Jun-13 16:44:21

I couldnt post yesterday/today, as I spilt coconut oil spit on my keyboard while oil pulling blush going to catch up on the thread now ...

BerylStreep Fri 28-Jun-13 16:46:23

My 8yr old DD is being vile this afternoon - forget what I said earlier, all I want is a biscuit. I have a thumping headache and sore eyes, and I have been waiting in all day for a delivery. Now that is has arrived, I am now waiting in for my DD's mum to arrive.

daisychicken Fri 28-Jun-13 17:05:58

Yup one a week.... I've been lying on the bed all afternoon.. my feet, legs, elbows and hands are painful and my "base" level of drugs is doing nothing.. is this severe enough to have my one a week or perhaps tomorrow will be worse... (?!) Seriously how do I choose when to take it?! I totally gets she doesn't want me to become addicted but I don't know what else I can do.... arggh!

Beryl - have you any cream? Can you have a spoonful on some berries just to give you that sweet fix?? Hope DD is behaving better ASAP..!

Chipping - I take amitriptyline at bedtime - in small doses its a nerve painkiller rather than a AD... I can only take a tiny amount (& have to take it early eve) otherwise I'm zombified the next day..

Hello. You lot have been chatting away today! I have been too busy to check in till now.

Sorry so many of you struggle with pain issues. It sounds hard. And one tablet a week sounds no good to man nor beast!

Crabby and Beryl - I will join you on the wine bench of shame. It is totally my downfall. I didn't have any last night but thought of it a lot! DH is about to walk back in the door having been away since Tuesday and we are all in holiday mode as DS is on holidays so all I can think of is a nice big glass of cold Sauvignon blanc.

Toomuch - 4lbs off is fab. I think über camp is the way to go for me too. Pity I can't stick to it!

Back later - DH home I think.- judging by dogs barking!

ChippingInWiredOnCoffee Fri 28-Jun-13 18:10:09

Black - tell me again what the oil pulling is all about - please smile

Beryl - step away from the biscuits!! My niece is staying with me for a bit, she is baking soft cookies - god they smell GOOD!! Peanut butter and chocolate chip for anyone interested. Probably 4 million carbs per mouthful.

Daisy - I'd have taken it by now and if tomorrow is worse (how the hell could it be??) then I'd be calling for an emergency appointment adn explain that while you are also keen not to become addicted, you cannot spend half your life lying on the bed in agony simply to avoid that happening. FGS there has to be a balance - surely? sad x <big, very very gentle, hug>

Cider - I should have been too busy to spend the day chatting on here, but I couldn't quite shift my arse grin I have now just done a couple of hours work - finally (for a small thing I do for myself - someone else hasn't been paying me to sit on my arse all day - more's the pity!!). Hearing how much pain others have to bare on a regular basis puts my whinging about mine to shame blush How lovely to be in holiday mode!! smile Not good for your low carbing though!

wine - do you find Sauvignon Blanc is OK or does it stall you? Red seems to have been 'ok' so far, but Prosecco seems to have stalled me or was it what I ate with it??

loopyloou Fri 28-Jun-13 18:19:10

Thanks Crabby.

I do have a slow cooker, I'll get some braising steak - sadly my dd hates stew hmm

prettybird Fri 28-Jun-13 18:26:06

My 12 year old has also been vile today. One day in to the holidays and already I could throttle him angryhmm

I was so angry leaving Sainsbury's that I forgot to fill up (and the light was already on). Had to go back later (on my own) - and was sorely tempted by the banks of chocolates - but I resisted grin.

I then went to M&S where I bought myself 2 pairs of Size 12 straight leg jeans (black and faded dark blue). The black ones had been, unbeknownst to me, reduced to £9! shocksmile I'd have tried some skinny jeans (the thread about whether women over 50 should wear jeans be damned! wink) but they didn't have any.

Ds is now trying to redeem himself by finally showing me what he is planning on doing for his cycle training over the next few weeks (which is how the argument started), so that sh and I can help and advise him: a pre-requisite if we are going to give up a week in Greece to go to Ireland for him to do a cycle race hmm

prettybird Fri 28-Jun-13 18:27:36

Unfortunately, we are not now going at for dinner (which had been the plan) as ds' "apology" came too little and too late. sad Shame as I'd been looking forward to it. Lidl curry instead (and in my case, no rice)

CrabbyBigBottom Fri 28-Jun-13 19:07:27

pretty was SH instead of DH a typo, or have you got a more colourful prefix for him at the moment... depending on the state of your relationship of course. grin It did get my imagination going, although the more colourful prefix may apply more to SS than SH... grin

Loopy I like a stew/casserole on a cold winter's evening but they aren't my favourite thing unless garnished with big fluffy suety floury dumplings, tbh. hmm There's loads of stuff you can do in the slow cooker that aren't stew though... just off the top of my head... Kashmiri chicken curry, slow cooked gammon (another relative cheapy that'll give you leftovers all week), squid, hunter's chicken (one of my favourites), many many things. Do you have this book? It's only £3.89!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now