Just had a lovely lunch, anyone willing to guess the carb content for me?

(9 Posts)
Glitterkitten24 Wed 19-Jun-13 18:50:10

Thanks BIWI I hadn't heard about the problems with mfp, ill bear I'm min it's not foolproof then.

Yeah I guess my reasoning with the melon was that it was all water, I'm slowly learning low calorie and low carb do not always correlate!

Tis a learning curve!

BIWI Wed 19-Jun-13 15:51:19

Lots of people report rather dubious values with mfp, so I'm never really sure about it - and I don't use it myself so I can't really comment.

But a quick Google says that Honeydew melon has 9g carbs per 100g, making it very carby. Certainly, I would have thought, too high for the initial weeks of a low carb diet.

Glitterkitten24 Wed 19-Jun-13 15:23:30

Hello,

I'm just starting low carbing, only in my first week so not in the best place to be advising about carb contents!

But i am using the 'My Fitness Pal' app on my phone to check carb contents in foods while i get used to what has high/ low carb values.
Its got a good database which means you can check the value of something before you choose it.
I've been surprised by some things which i thought weren't too bad - yesterday i had some melon which according to a website i saw said had low to moderate carb levels - my portion had 18g of carbs in it!

MyGrain Thu 06-Jun-13 09:07:11

Thanks BIWI I will do. I knackered it up last night anyway with sweet popcorn and full sugar coke sad

BIWI Wed 05-Jun-13 19:14:29

There are no carbs in the chicken - unless you bought processed ones? Check the back of the packet if you did! Similarly the guacamole - did you make it yourself? If not, again - check the packet.

Mushrooms are really low carb and weigh next to nothing, so there will be hardly any carbs in those.

Similarly an orange pepper - I haven't got a carb count for orange, but 40g of yellow pepper will be 2.1g carbs.

Garlic, salt and coriander will be negligible.

The carbiest thing will have been the onion, which is 7.9g carbs per 100g.

Obviously without knowing the weight of everything we can't be precise.

But

Your dinner is very high in carbs - those sausages aren't low carb at all if 2 of them were 10g carbs! And the baked beans will have added a load more too.

Why don't you come and join us on the Bootcamp? If you have a look at the Bootcamp rules you'll get a much better idea of what you should/shouldn't be doing! (As well as lots of help/support!)

MyGrain Wed 05-Jun-13 19:04:26

Thanks guys. I'm only on day two of low carbing (and am not being that strict) but I'm feeling the pull towards the sugar already.

For my breakfast I had full fat greek yogurt. The above OP for my lunch and for dinner I've had low carb sausages (10g in two sausages) eggs, bacon .... and I slipped a very small amount of baked beans on there sad

This evening I'm off to cinema so the pull towards the popcorn will probably finish me off

BlackAffronted Wed 05-Jun-13 17:44:38

Maybe around 10/12g carbs total?

froginthepond Wed 05-Jun-13 14:41:16

Sorry i have no idea but sounds yummy! There are websites that you can type ingredients into and it calculates the nutritional info for the meal. Might be worth having a look for one of those. smile

MyGrain Wed 05-Jun-13 13:38:25

Chicken strips
Half a small onion
2 mushrooms sliced
1/4 orange pepper
garlic salt and coriander

All fried together and then served with a few leaves of salad and two spoonfulls of guacamole

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now