Week 6 - Summer Low Carb Bootcamp - We've Passed the Halfway Point!

(419 Posts)
BIWI Mon 03-Jun-13 07:51:51

Morning campers!

Lovely weather at last.

Here's the spreadsheet of fabulousness

Come and confess all.

The last couple of weeks have seen quite a lot of slippage and falling off the wagon - a euphemism for cheating! - so I'm not expecting that we're going to see many fabulous losses this week. Indeed, I think many of us are going to feel a bit downhearted when we step on the scales today.

BUT NEVER FEAR!

There are still 5 weeks left, which is plenty of time to get properly back on the wagon and shift a few more of those pesky pounds.

Good luck everyone!

CrabbyBigBottom Mon 03-Jun-13 10:06:53

<<slinks in and stands behind Ruby>>

I really had a major wobble last night and had almost decided to defect to a low GI diet instead, especially if I hadn't lost any weight this morning. shock blush

BUT... Today is a new day (and a beautiful one), and I'm not hungover (had a couple of glasses of red only). A good night's sleep and I have renewed determination today.

This week I shall be mainly concentrating on:
- making really gorgeous food and trying new recipes. I need to get excited about the food again.
- getting a bit more exercise than usual (might try that 7 minute workout).
- NO BOOZING!

I've been really good at not cheating at all with the food (apart from the half square of chocolate yesterday), yet I've been drinking too much and somehow convincing myself that it doesn't count! hmm It's really counter-productive because if I'm hungover I really really crave carbs, and therefore I really crave white wine come late afternoon. It's never red that I crave - I can drink that in moderation quite happily. But the chilled white... I want it on an empty stomach for that initial lovely tipsy feeling, and it's much harder to control whether I'm drinking too much - it just slips down so easily.

So NO WHITE WINE FOR ME UNTIL THE END OF BOOTCAMP (except possibly a bottle of bubbly on special occasions). Otherwise I'm sabotaging myself and all the effort is pointless.

4lbs off this week (which unfortunately, due to a 3lb gain last week after birthday celebrations, means that it's only 1lb off in a fortnight), but that's still good, and I'm going to go at it with renewed effort this week.

BerylStreep Mon 03-Jun-13 10:07:32

Have posted yesterday's weight, as I have inexplicably put on a kilo overnight hmm.

Anyway, pleased to report a loss. Am also cycling a lot - did 20 miles on Saturday and going out again tonight.

kohl Mon 03-Jun-13 10:17:18

Thanks Willie 17th June.

Ruprekt Mon 03-Jun-13 10:23:46

Ok.....i am 177lb today which could be a gain but I am going to start doing what some other posters are doing and do a 5:2 diet.

Today is a fast day so just water today until dinner later.

On a countdown to Cornwall in August. smilesmilesmilesmile

middleagedspread Mon 03-Jun-13 10:45:11

Morning All
I'm very ashamed blush. it all went horribly pear shaped for me over half term & I've put on 4 lbs. My clothes are tight & I'm very cross with myself.
I'm really going to try this week & not be so defeatist.
Well done to all you losers, be proud of your self control.

JaxTellerIsAllMine Mon 03-Jun-13 10:48:46

I cant enter my gain onto spreadsheet. Oh well.

Half term now over, thank goodness! And so is my holiday madness.

I tried to be good... I did, but its not easy when I am not in charge of food! On the plus side, didnt drink alcohol at all.

toomuchtoask Mon 03-Jun-13 10:50:20

I've been dreadful for a couple of weeks - I've eaten everything I wanted (including way too many sweets and carbs) and I've lost 0.5lbs. How the heck! I'm back on the plan today though as I've still got a lot to lose.

daisychicken Mon 03-Jun-13 10:55:51

Thanks for the breakfast ideas... I've gone with Lidl's Greek yoghurt and a few berries or have had cold frittata/omelette so far..

Popped into Lidl this morning and they had barbecued spiced chicken wings and drumsticks on offer - cant remember the carb count but v low, there were other meats as well but didn't look at those. Also got a couple of packs of cod mornay (on offer & low carb count) to keep in the freezer - handy for those days when I haven't got leftovers, DH & dc are having pizza and I don't want to start making much for me (I usually end up with bacon & egg so this will be a nice change!).

Yesterday's menu:
B: frittata
L: frittata and salad plus ice-cube portion of yoghurt
D: BBQ - salad, roast tomato with garlic and beefburgers
Snack: ice cube portion yoghurt & berries

(I use those tiny pots that people get for baby food for tiny portions - I sometimes want a treat but don't want or need a huge amount - this worked for me last time so I'm sticking with it!)

Today:
B: yoghurt & berries, small cube of cheese
L: leftover roast tomato, salad and BBQ chicken (may add mayo)
D: pasta so veg pasta sauce with 2"chorizo chopped finely (between 4) over courgette strips for me

One treat I used last time when I was in need of a sweet fix was sugar free jelly (makeup to 1/2pint) blended with cream cheese and left to set - makes a fruity mousse type jelly. I used to double up the jelly (2 sachets to make 1pint with 1 carton cream cheese) and split over I think 12 baby pots. This can be eaten on its own, with cream and/or with added berries. Can't remember carb count but by keeping portion v small, cc was small & makes a nice treat when desperate!!

ToomuchIsBackOnBootcamp Mon 03-Jun-13 11:31:49

Morning all, hope everyone has a bit of sunshine today. Welcome kohl I am sure you will find lots of support here.

decaf I think a proper "stall" is defined as something like 4-6 weeks without a loss, so don't worry. You will be losing fat, which is why lots of seasoned LC-ers recommend measuring yourself as well as weighing.

I am 2.5 lbs down this week but it's really just getting me back to my week 2 weight (after a hideous couple of weeks when my FIL died and there were lots of bad choices made).

Really happy that the scales now read 10 stones 13, rather than 11 something. May seem shallow but I find the "next stone down" thing really motivating. I did a little happy jig nekkid round the bathroom.

BIWI Mon 03-Jun-13 11:37:05

kiwigirl

^not a happy bunny this morning.
Have put on 4lb this week despite having 2 days where I ate only about 700 cals and sticking to low carb (haven't had over 40 carbs any day).^

WHY ARE YOU COUNTING CALORIES?! We don't count calories here, and having only 700 is silly. That is way too low. You won't lose weight if you do that

I think I need to not make almond crumble again - thats been my only non-bootcamp cheat (almonds, butter, tbsp honey over blueberries/ raspberries). But, oh god, it was nirvana!
and I might have made chocolate mousse with thick part of coconut milk and 2 squares of 85% chocolate.

It may have been your only cheat, but that will have been a lot of carbs.

Please, please, please follow Bootcamp rules properly - you don't need to count your carbs if you do that. But you should be eating a decent amount of food and staying away from the carbs!

HeirToTheIronThrone Mon 03-Jun-13 12:02:12

Well a tiny gain of 0.4lbs for me, but I'm putting that down to the litre on cranberry juice I downed over the weekend to try and kill the dreaded uti. A strict three days coming up for me, as I'm off to Mallorca for three nights on a work jolly from Thursday, which shall be VERY boozy I feel... Hoping to try and pace myself, do lots of swimming and stick to eating plenty of fish and salad... My wedding dress arrives in two weeks and I still seem unable to get under 12 stone which has become a huge hurdle in my head.

Mallorca for a work jolly? That is a good job!!

WhyIRayLiotta Mon 03-Jun-13 12:31:45

Well... I came home last night after a hedonistic 3 days away with friends. It was fantastic. I felt great for having lost a bit of weight since I'd last seen them all! but boy was it decadent. Wine / fancy dinners / cocktails / desserts...

To be honest I didn't even try to low carb... it was my first time away for DD (18 months old!) So I wanted to enjoy it and I did grin

But it does show on the scales... I'm 2lbs heavier - but it seems like so much more as I feel so bloated. But I'm straight back into it today and will get back on track.

in terms of numbers on the scales it's worth remembering that with this WOE you will likely look much slimmer at the weight you are now (on the way down) than you did on the way up. even though you might not yet be at a number that you're happy with, with the benefits of lack of bloating, clear skin etc that low carbing brings, you WILL look better at this weight than you did before, and likely fit into smaller sizes too

Hi all. Did my confessing on last week's thread so will move swiftly on!

Back on track this morning and as we go on holiday a month from tomorrow I am sticking to bootcamp with some berries at the weekend. I might even ubercamp for a few days. And I will steer clear of the wine.

Felt rubbish this morning. Woke up at 3am which always happens if I drink too much. So I then lay there hating myself for having messed myself up so badly. And then I fell back asleep around 6 so was shattered when I got up. And forgot to weigh as was rushing.

Crabby - I have decided not to have ANY wine for the next month. Once I have some I have more and as you say then the cravings kick in. I'm am better not having it at all.

So. Today's food
B - ham and egg mayo
L - salad, cherry toms, avocado, red onion, chicken, mayo.
D - am defrosting pork steaks. No idea what to do with them or have with them yet. I have broccoli, leeks, courgettes and cabbage.

Willie - completely agree. I know I look a lot slimmer than is showing on the scales. My clothes fit better. My stomach is flatter. I feel lighter.

HeirToTheIronThrone Mon 03-Jun-13 13:10:59

Lily it does have its perks sometimes!

Cider the creamy braised cabbage is AMAZING with pork...

Minifingers Mon 03-Jun-13 13:28:50

Hi all
I want to join this thread as a previous low-carber from last year (had a different user name). I did really well, lost about 2 stone with a combination of WW, then low carb. Fell off the wagon last year in a pretty spectacular fashion when my weight loss stalled (more on this in a minute), life circumstances pitched me into a very stressful period (still stressed but getting a bit more control now), and anaemia left me horribly, horribly tired and turning constantly to carb fixes to get through the day. Still anaemic despite months of supplements, but realising that my diet has been compounding my problem with fatigue, so want to go back to a better way of eating. Put almost all the weight back on, but not quite.sad

I feel quite strongly that what stalled my weight loss last time was my not drinking anywhere near enough water, so this time I'm determined to make this a central focus. One problem with drinking the water has been that my terrible pelvic floor and perimenopausal bladder weakness makes it a bit of a challenge if I'm going out. I need to drink my water before I go or when I come back, as I can't risk having a really full bladder and not being near a toilet. blush I'm exercising more and hope that as I lose weight my continence will improve. (I know being overweight compounds it). I also got very lazy about food and that made me feel unwell, as I wasn't eating enough vegetables. Got very badly constipated and that's never a good thing.

So - I'm back on board. Not sure if I'm ready to put my weight on the spreadsheet. I'll see how I go over the next fortnight.

Today I had

- greek yogurt for breakfast, coffee with cream (can't, can't give up caffeine yet, too tired),

- half an avocado with home made vinaigrette and half a packet of pork scratchings for lunch.

- Will have a big spinach salad with goats cheese, small amount of red onions, a handful of cherry tomatoes, some crisp bacon and some dressing for dinner.

Have downloaded pig to twig recipe book on my kindle and am browsing through that for inspiration. Have also downloaded a tick list onto my phone - will tick off each glass of water as I drink it through the day.

Minifingers Mon 03-Jun-13 13:31:05

Sorry - meant to ask, what's the deal with tomatoes? They're a central part of my diet. I'm not sure I want to tip myself into ketosis at this point (made me feel unwell last time I did it) so I'm not fussed eating a few every day stops this from happening.

BIWI Mon 03-Jun-13 13:31:10

Welcome (back) Minifingers!

timidviper Mon 03-Jun-13 13:33:34

I have just recovered from a disaster! Went on holiday for a week and put on a ridiculous, unfeasibly huge amount of weight but after a week of bootcamping with no cheats it has almost all gone! smile Sadly I am like Black and am spending time going up and down over the same few pounds and really need to break out of that but life keeps getting in the way.

willie I agree about the shape change thing. I am definitely different now to when I last weighed this.

I am going to go for a walk this afternoon then cook some mince and split it into 2 to make a spag bol type thing with one half and a chilli-ish thing with the other.

Doshusallie Mon 03-Jun-13 13:34:45

Hi all.

B - lidl yoghurt
L - the chicken out of a bowl of fajita innards - left the onion and peppers, 2 sticks of celery with mayo
S - 2 digs in the PB jar
Tea will be sausages with mushroom and leek

daisychicken Mon 03-Jun-13 13:43:15

Totally agree with the scale numbers..... when I started low-carb'ing (before I fell off the wagon) I used to weigh myself every Monday and record the details (trying to find if i still have the info so I can post & show you) and for me, I would regulary not loose weight according to the scales - it could be 2-3 even 4 weeks of no loss according the scales but my dress size was decreasing.

I found I had to be strict with myself: weigh just once a week to record the info and keep a log of what I ate/drank and not get despondent. I stayed on the 20g or less level of carbs for a long time as increasing the carbs (as per Atkins on-going weightless plan) meant that it took even longer for any weight loss to show on the scales yet others on the forum I was on could eat say 30g carbs per day and still loose weight each week.

It's hard when the scales don't show the loss you want for the work you've put in but your body is changing! Keep at it!

(If I can find my weightless info, I will post - I found it interesting to see how my weight maintained then dropped as according to the scales).

kiwigirl42 Mon 03-Jun-13 14:03:02

BIWI don't worry, I'm not counting calories at all, its just that I enter everything into MFP and noticed that I hadn't eaten much for 2 days in a row (migraine days, I think). The almond crumble only came to 16 carbs in total which is why I was wondering how that made such a difference.
I have taken a lot of painkillers, including oromorph over the weekend due to migraine and I think some of the weight gain is due to that causing water retention.

anyhow, I'll keep on bootcamping (this was the first week I'd allowed a treat too!). have just bought a swiss exercise ball from TKMaxx to use with my £3 ebay weights. I am completely new to weights and really pleased with this book, 101 ways to work out with weights, as it has good photos of each move.
You don't need any additional stuff apart from weights but she does some of the core ones on the swiss ball which is why I got one.

I'm convinced that getting stronger muscles will help my fibro. I'm also trying BCAA (branch chain amino acids) which research has shown to be low in people with fibro = body builders take them to reduce burn day following big session and I really think that they do help. I did 3 min bike and 10 min yoga on Friday, which is a hell of a lot for my muscles, and wasn't sore at all next day.
So I'm going to give them 20 days and see. right, off to blow up swiss ball!

snowballinashoebox Mon 03-Jun-13 14:38:02

I really love my swiss ball kiwigirl it is brilliant for core muscles.

I had a bit of a collision with a Cornish pasty and a lemon drizzle cake at the weekend. I knew it was going to be a pasty, cider and cakefest and even took my carefully prepared salad with me, ate that and then promptly kept on chomping.

Somehow managed to weigh in 2lb lighter today but reckon it will catch up with me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now