Week 4 - Summer Low Carb Bootcamp - Wherein we totes commit

(441 Posts)
BigStickBIWI Sun 19-May-13 23:49:07

OK. It has come to my attention that there has been a lot of slippage going on over the last few days

Low carbing is not a very forgiving way of eating. It isn't like following a low calorie diet, where one meal or one day can compensate for another.

If you're low carbing then you have to commit to low carbing all the time.

Once you reach your target weight, then this isn't necessarily the case, but whilst you're losing weight, you really do have to keep your carbs low. If you don't, then all you're doing is constantly messing with your blood sugars.

And, if you have a massive increase in carbs, you are constantly re-filling your glycogen stores, which means your weight could go up by as much as 7lbs. And you're stopping your body shifting from carb-burning to fat-burning, because you're having to deal with all those pesky carbs.

So, here is the Spreadsheet of Fabulousness for you to confess all

Let's make sure that we really commit and get shot of that weight.

LondonMe Sat 06-Jul-13 15:17:49

I'm back on Low Carb starting today. I've tried pretty much every diet known to man (serial yoyo dieter - unfortunately). Was doing Slimming World a few months ago, but even though others were losing like crazy, I lost only a few lbs in 3 months. I think I eat too much fruits as I'm constantly hungry (or maybe it's just cravings, as I shouldn't be hungry when there's food in my stomach). I find that I feel satisfied on low carb, but usually after a few weeks I get tired of eating the same thing and quit. I noticed some recipes here which I will try, hoping I can stick with it forever this time. Great posts from everyone!

captainmummy Thu 13-Jun-13 08:42:46

Have you done any of your own thinking/research? Many of us have, and many of us are scientists/medical persons/intelligent independent thinkers. The government advice on 'healthy' eating is seriously flawed, and in many cases funded by those with an interest in the results (ie margerine manufacturers, low-fat crap manufacturers, the wheat-lobby, the soft drinks giants are only a few).
And IMVHO the standard advice given to Diabetics is nothing short of criminal. (Spelt out - the advice to eat stuff that is proven to raise blood sugars, in the interests of 'levelling' it 'healthily).
There is plenty of evidence that many, many conditions are actively alleviated by a low-carb diet (IBS, diabetes, cancers - oh yes!).

Do some reading. Make your own mind up and then see if you can support your wife in her decision, rather than making snidey, intimidating remarks.

It will not be long before the 'health' advice is changed. There is already evidence to show that people in th medical profession are waking up to the proof that avoiding sugar(s) is a GOOD thing.

timidviper Wed 12-Jun-13 23:08:59

I agree that reading your partner's posts on a forum without permission is a gross invasion of her privacy. Amongst themselves women do chat, share personal stuff more than men do and sometimes we might even exaggerate a little for humour, attention, etc. That is why this is an anonymous forum.

I have never interpreted Queens posts as saying you are horrible although you do sound rather controlling and trying to justify yourself comes across as just that.

I would be livid if my husband did this.

CrabbyBigBottom Wed 12-Jun-13 22:54:03

Cross posted with you BIWI, it took me so long to reread Queens posts!

CrabbyBigBottom Wed 12-Jun-13 22:52:17

Wow. for someone who doesn't want to discuss their private life on the internet, you've just done a pretty damned thorough job of airing your dirty laundry! to be honest, if your behaviour didn't look controlling before, then it certainly does now; you've tracked your partner down onto a support thread and read her posts? Posts that are similar to a diary, and are not addressed to you? And then you post a long rant about how unfair she's being. What on earth makes you think any of that is ok? confused

I was so shocked by your post that I went back and looked at Queen's posts. This is what she said...

OK ladies I'll be back on the LC from today. and no being guilted out of it. Although DP has ordered fish pie for one of our dinners this week. I'll just have to try and avoid the potato topping I guess.

BIWI, it's a ready meal. We do all our shopping on Ocado. It's a big one though, so it's shared between us. Ordering another one is just not an option. I'm really not going to be able to do this am I? P is really really against low carb, I'm not going to get him to change that, and I won't be able to do it myself when he WILL buy carby meals like that.

Thanks for the support everyone.

lily going to the shops for my bits is not an option for several reasons:
1. I have no money in my account - I don't work and DP gives me a little each month but not enough to be able to feed myself!
2. I don't drive and we have no supermarkets in easily walkable distance, which is why we do internet groceries in the first place.

I will try and works something out with this though. It's just that DP is totally fixed into the conventional wisdom when it comes to diet. I was too until about 3 months ago when I started reading on all this. Nothing will change his mind that this is 'faddy eating' though. I was talking to SIL about food a couple of weeks ago, and he heard me say 'fat keeps you fuller for longer' and said 'fat keeps you fatter for longer' in response. He also holds the charming view that 'men don't bother with stupid diets, if they need to lose weight they just eat less' ( I don't believe that for a moment)

SIL was complaining to me that she's been restricting how much she eats. She says there's no way she can eat any less than she is at the moment, but she's not losing weight. DP just thinks she's obviously not eating as little as she thinks she is.

Just to clarify:

We eat mostly fresh food made from scratch, but this fish pie is a bit of a family favourite and the kids demolish it
I generally do the food orders, but he sometimes does it if I haven't got my finger out and done it. This has happened this week
As for money, well we've been in a bit of a financial pit, and for a long while we couldn't afford for him to give me any money at all, now he gives me about £100 per month but that goes on allsorts (including some stops at the shop to pick up odd bits and bobs) I think we've been in financially dire straits for so long that I've developed a real fear of spending money!

Things are difficult, but partly because I've become quite low due to all the crap, and I'm struggling with it. hopefully things are turning around now, just hope we don't get made to move house again because that would just kill us.

Anyway, going to stop moaning now

Just had a lovely soup. we're a bit low on foodstuffs, but I managed to cobble something together."

To my mind, she has not accused you of any of the things you say she has. Other people's interpretations of the situation are just that; their personal interpretations. What's that saying...eavesdroppers rarely hear good of themselves?

You say that you are entitled to express your opinions 'out of concern for a loved one', but it's a very grey area between putting your point across calmly and then allowing the person space to make their own choice (without niggling, criticising, making sarcastic comments etc), and in trying to control their behaviour by constantly voicing your opinions. Based on your post here, it sounds very likely that you've been doing the latter.

Does Queen know you've been snooping on her here?

BIWI Wed 12-Jun-13 22:20:36

Oh goodness shock

There are lots of different issues here, but the most important one is the fact that you have obviously been reading your partner's posts. Does she know about that?

The arguments between the two of you should be just that - you shouldn't be trying to make your case here. You should be resolving them between the two of you.

That said, it is your partner's absolute right to talk about how she feels about things with whomsoever she wishes. She chose to confide in us here.

This is a low carb support thread. We are bound, therefore, to argue for a low carb way of eating, and there are many of us who have done a lot of reading and research into it, something which I suspect you have not. If you were aware of the latest research, you would not try and argue against it.

However, it is not up to me to make that argument - it is between your partner and you to sort that out.

Similarly your financial situation and management is nothing to do with us. Although I would make the observation that if money is an issue, then shopping at Ocado and buying ready meals is perhaps not the most sensible way to go about things hmm

So, no. You shouldn't have to come here and defend yourself. Neither should you have been reading what your partner was posting. This is a gross invasion of her privacy.

acol1794 Wed 12-Jun-13 22:04:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BIWI Mon 10-Jun-13 12:25:23

Come and join us on the week 7 chat thread!

BIWI Mon 10-Jun-13 12:25:11

It all depends on the ingredients - I think you'll find that it's very, very processed. Butter is much better and far preferable.

NobodyPutsMyBabyInTheCorner Mon 10-Jun-13 11:21:21

I'm into rooibus tea (black) and am onto my fourth cup blush.

I did ask on another thread but does it have to be butter or is olive spread okay?

BIWI Mon 10-Jun-13 08:49:18

Make sure you have plenty of a time and several brew to hand!

NobodyPutsMyBabyInTheCorner Mon 10-Jun-13 08:20:23

Just added myself, I hope you don't mind..
I'm just marking my place so I can go back and read through all your low-carbing pearls of wisdom grin

newlark Sun 26-May-13 20:09:28

Abouttime - have you tried PLJ (basically unsweetened lemon juice) with sparkling water? I drink it very dilute and it has kept me away from diet coke for a whole month...

I have asked for the recipe thread to be moved to the low carb section

Long hard afternoon in the garden cutting back the overgrowth along our driveway and clearing up the debris and moss. Two years worth of everything. Lost count of how many wheelbarrows I filled and emptied. Good workout although I will ache tomorrow.

Kiwi girl - the honey really won't help to kick sweet cravings! do you really need it?

kiwigirl42 Sun 26-May-13 15:43:24

Hello everyone

all going fine here - eating left over chicken curry with cauliflower and cabbage. Surprisingly yum without rice etc. In fact, I don't even miss it.
The only thing I think I miss is a nice, unladylike hunk of cake but funnily enough I'm surviving without it!

Quite like the Lidl greek yogurt I bought. Not quite as nice as Total but for the price difference I think I can cope with it.
The only cheat I do is putting a tsp of honey in my yogurt so once thats in there is hardly any difference

recipe thread here

If you think any are fab please add them as proper individual recipes in the recipe section - and rate them! They are much easier to find on a phone!

decaffwithcream Sun 26-May-13 13:19:57

Recipe thread doesnt seem to have made it into the new low-carb section so you probably need to do a search for it. I just use the low-carb section of the mumsnet recipe section (under the food tab) - loads of the recipes have been put in there.

BlackAffronted Sun 26-May-13 11:54:47

Where's the recipe thread?

couch25cakes Sun 26-May-13 11:41:07

Hello all
My dinner on Friday was lovely, the food was yummy and low carb, I resisted the chic mousse but not the wine alas sad

Yesterday I felt really rough but stayed on track. I had a bit of cheese for breakfast (before going back to bed) and then had roasted veggies, chicken and chorizo for lunch. We went out for curry so had lamb chops and a paneer shaslick which was delicious.

Today I had scrambled eggs with cream for breakfast and no doubt will carry on finishing off the chicken and chorizo for lunch. We're having a BBQ later on, which should be nice and easy.

I'm officially weighing in tomorrow but the scales show a 5lb loss today which I'm delighted with.

NewStartNewStory Sun 26-May-13 11:15:10

treelula what Jax Said. Take care of yourself.

maidofmuss Sun 26-May-13 09:48:22

And from cider!
heir that's great - I'll be dancing round the room when I finally get below 12st mark....
Hope walk does it!

maidofmuss Sun 26-May-13 09:42:57

Good advice from MrsHP there
Agree totally about the planning - I'm much more organised about family meals now and try to do things everyone will like and that I can eat (without the potatoes/rice etc). Eldest now loves celeriac and cabbage, which I may not have served before thinking would get wasted. Waiting for youngest to develop a passion for veg but only likes peas, carrots and sweetcorn, which I'm avoiding, and cauli cheese!
about do you dislike all tea? I don't like black tea like pg but get through a lot of Jasmine, camomile etc and am trying to develop a taste for redbush - may be worth trying?
Good luck with it / first few days are hard but it does get much, much easier if you stick with it !

HeirToTheIronThrone Sun 26-May-13 09:42:24

tree that is awful, I hope you are ok

30th birthdays party last night - damage report is two ciders and a handful of pretzels, so I think it could be worse. All lovely LC BBQ meat and homemade coleslaw apart from that. As of yesterday I was 0.8 of a lb from the next stone bracket, so am off for a long walk smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now