Summer Low Carb Bootcamp - The Questions Thread

(507 Posts)
BIWI Mon 29-Apr-13 16:18:52

If you have any questions, just ask them here. From experience, the chat thread moves so quickly, posters' questions often get missed.

Picking up on some that have already been asked today:

Can we eat dairy in Bootcamp?

Yes you can, but be aware that for some people dairy can impede weight loss. Butter is fine - you don't have to worry about that, and yoghurt is apparently better tolerated than milk, cream or cheese.

Cheese is a great low carb food and it's lovely to not have to worry about being able to eat it on the basis of it being a fat.

Milk can become quite carby quite quickly, so if you're having several cups of tea/coffee a day, you need to keep an eye on this. If you can, it's best to have your tea/coffee black - or to substitute cream (double) for the milk.

Cream can be used in cooking (always double, as it has a higher fat content), but again be aware that it might be an issue for you.

The best way to find out if it's a problem for you is to keep a food diary, and then you will be able to see the impact of dairy on your weight loss.

Eglute Mon 05-Aug-13 09:50:50

I read this somewhere and it stuck im my head.. I always remember the aying if I feel like having a big piece of cake..

you either eat what you want of look how you want smile

CheeseAndFriedMushrooms Tue 06-Aug-13 23:52:49

How do you know when you're in ketosis?

BIWI Wed 07-Aug-13 11:46:31

You will find that your appetite is significantly reduced
You may suffer from bad breath (this is temporary)
You will be losing weight!

Lighthousekeeping Wed 07-Aug-13 11:57:18

Is there anything I can take regarding the breath? I'm very paranoid.

IBO Wed 07-Aug-13 12:18:44

I have read that drinking a lot of water helps

BIWI Wed 07-Aug-13 12:20:28

Are you actually suffering from it Lighthousekeeping? You've been doing low carb for long enough that you should be past this by now!

But yes, drinking lots of water helps. Sugar-free gum can be useful - although is better avoided if you can because of the artificial sweeteners.

Lighthousekeeping Wed 07-Aug-13 13:03:26

God know I only rejoined the group three days ago! I'm living off those Bootcamp recipes that seem too good to be true. It's easier in the Summer I find. Yes I'm always more paranoid on nights I would say I am suffering as my pee as changed as well.

BIWI Wed 07-Aug-13 15:44:22

Are you drinking enough water then?

Jinty64 Sun 11-Aug-13 14:04:47

I would like to start this WOE tomorrow but have lots of low fat Greek yogurt to finish. Can I eat this first, perhaps adding cream or must I buy full fat?

BIWI Sun 11-Aug-13 14:44:04

I would finish it - no point wasting it! If you have some cream to hand, mix some of that in.

Good luck!

Jinty64 Sun 11-Aug-13 14:44:40

Thank you

Lighthousekeeping Sun 11-Aug-13 18:00:26

How bad is caffeine on Bootcamp? It's what's making my nights bearable!

BIWI Sun 11-Aug-13 18:07:04

Caffeine is something that divides people, Lighthousekeeping! Atkins, in his first edition of The New Diet Revolution said to avoid it, but in the most recent one said it was OK.

I think it's probably something that varies from one person to the next. I certainly have never given it up.

The other issue, of course, is it's not just the caffeine, it's also the milk that you might be putting in it, which will be carby.

In your situation, I'd carry on with it - but if you find that you're not losing, maybe try to cut it out - but when you're not working nights!

Lighthousekeeping Sun 11-Aug-13 18:33:47

I remember Dukan saying it was fine. I'm abit disappointed my scales haven't changed and I'm doing everything right appart from that. My body shape has though! It's strange.

CheeseAndFriedMushrooms Mon 12-Aug-13 21:25:42

How many carbs per 100g in strawberries?

HolgerDanske Wed 14-Aug-13 10:00:33

Hi everyone

I was diagnosed type 2 diabetic some weeks ago and have elected to manage it through diet alone which means a very low carb diet, so I've been lurking here and getting lots of tips and inspiration smile

I just wanted to mention something regarding Dr Bernstein's book, as some of you have asked about why it's so strict and whether you need to avoid things like tomato and lemon altogether: Dr Bernstein is a type 1 diabetic and his diet plan is specifically geared toward maintaining stable blood sugars in those who either can't produce insulin at all or have insulin resistance. This is why his diet is so strict. If you are low carbing for health or weightloss but not for diabetes, I think you can disregard some of the more stringent aspects. As long as you keep within sensible portion control, I don't think it will have any effect on the overall goal.

Sorry if someone's already said this, I just haven't read the whole thread yet smile

Thanks to the people who put together this great resource!

captainmummy Wed 14-Aug-13 14:57:28

Hi HolgerD - welcome to Bootcamp! This is the questions thread, so if you want to get chatting/inspiration, join us on CHAT THREAD

GermanGirlinLDN Wed 14-Aug-13 15:02:02

Hello,

I am low-carbing since the 27.07 and I lost 10 lbs so far. This week is my third week and from previous experience I know that I probably won't lose any weight this week, maybe even next week.

BIWI You once explained the weight loss plateau very well when being on a LC diet. Do you know what I mean and if yes could you possibly post it again for my motivation? Thank you.

FrameyMcFrame Thu 15-Aug-13 16:15:21

Hi, just wondering if I'm eating too much? Or wrong things?
I'm at the start of week 2.

Today I have had,
bacon and egg for breakfat with spinach leaves.

2 cups of tea with cream

Lunch - slice smoked salmon and slice ham with salad and half a tomato, spoonful of hummus.

i then went to work, and carried some very heavy bags, did some quite stressful stuff and rushed about. I then felt really hungry adn a bit dizzy so got a bag of nuts and seeds and a fruite salad from the canteen (only things I could find to eat)

Home now and eaten half a small pot of total full fat yoghurt... Thats too much food isn't it?

(by the way I have already lost 4 pounds)

FrameyMcFrame Thu 15-Aug-13 16:16:12

I will be having some tea at 6 as well...

BIWI Thu 15-Aug-13 17:37:05

Cheese strawberries are 6g per 100g

Framey - it's not too much food. The mantra if you're low carbing is "if you're hungry, eat!"

But it is too much of the wrong food. Bacon and ham and smoked salmon is a lot of processed meat. And hummous and fruit salad? Way too many carbs! The nuts and seeds, although a better choice, will also have added a fair few carbs.

What are you planning to have for tea?

FrameyMcFrame Thu 15-Aug-13 21:32:07

I had homemade cauliflower cheese with low carb cheese sauce recipe,
Broccoli and two cumberland sausages... more processed meat oops blush
was yummy though and im certainly not hungry now!

Ok quick question about bootcamp v IPD.

What are the differences? It seems on bootcamp you can have coconut milk and plain yoghurt straight away but not on IPD? Also on IPD you can have a couple of things that you can't have in bootcamp?

A friend gave me the IPD books but I don't want to mess up or confuse myself.

Also how long should I stay on the initial bootcamp stage? I have 4 stone to lose (eek).

BIWI Sat 24-Aug-13 21:45:45

IPD is completely different. Do one or the other!

Bootcamp was devised by me as an easy way to do low carbing. IPD was devised by India Knight/Neris Thomas as their way to do low carbing.

It's up to you which one you prefer to do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now