Paleo and primal

(1000 Posts)
Daughteroughter Wed 27-Mar-13 01:28:43

I have been reading about paleo and primal diets has anyone tried them?

snoworneahva Mon 24-Jun-13 10:23:54

Morning! Haven't tried Paleo and proper camping yet - camped with scouts last year, so just ate what I was given - I don't like being the awkward one.
Massive fail yesterday, started off well with five spice chicken and broccoli stir fry but it was downhill from there - I made caramel sauce from Eat Like a Dinosaur ages ago and it's been lurking in the fridge...so I made a double cream ice cream, sweetened with condensed milk (that i had in the cupboard and needed using) after whipping I swirled through the caramel sauce and put it in the freezer - served it with Paleo cheat vanilla cookies. More sugary than it should have been but it was a good Sunday treat and at least it was all real food. We're back to clean living today.

Dh's birthday tomorrow - he's requested pasta and bread and butter pudding - I'll cook it but I won't be tempted to indulge in wheat, it really doesn't do nice things to my body.

kellykettle Mon 24-Jun-13 09:36:00

Sorry posted too soon. I meant to say what's everyone else having?

kellykettle Mon 24-Jun-13 09:34:57

Ooh I love camping Misscph (hence my name!). I struggle with paleo & camping too funnily enough - because it's about the most paleo activity we do!

I think it's because I don't have tonnes of space for cooking and storing food to cook from scratch, I want to spend time with my family not cooking all week and the kids want quick snacks. We're going in August so I am planning a bit of carb flu at the start of Sept grin

Thanks Giraffes. Gout sounds terribly painful. I hope he gets well soon too!

I have some stock on the go at the moment (can't bring myself to call it bone broth). I haven't eaten yet but will probably be eggs and avocado this morning.

GiraffesEatPineapples Sun 23-Jun-13 16:34:46

Kelly I hope your Dad's doing ok.

my dads doctor thinks he might have gout so advised him to cut red meat, I don't think I will get him Paleo but he eats pretty healthily at least no sugar.

misscph1973 Sun 23-Jun-13 16:02:55

Sorry to hear about your dad, kelly. Well done for following up on genetic warning.

And thanks for the tip about ground almonds in Aldi - how much are they? I have just found ground almonds for £6.99 for a 1 kg bag in a local Asian grocers, that's the cheapest I have found it.

I have just come back from a camping weekend and I had a few non-Paleo things - lager, brownies, bread, crisps, in moderation, and I didn't feel too bad. But today I am back on paleo and I must admit to having bit of carb flu - cold sweat, tiredness, hunger etc but I am not too worried, it happens rarely and I don't have any major health issues.

kellykettle Sun 23-Jun-13 14:20:39

Thanks Favadi

FavadiCacao Sun 23-Jun-13 12:19:21

Sorry to hear about your dad, kelly. I hope he gets better soon.

kellykettle Sun 23-Jun-13 04:30:54

On the subject of Aldi - I get my ground almonds from there. Really cheap and I prefer it to coconut flour for a lot of things.

kellykettle Sun 23-Jun-13 04:28:41

Giraffes I'm the same!

One of the things I loved when I read Primal Blueprint was this feeling that I was being given permission to do things I loved but didn't think we're important - sleep lots, go out in the sun, eat fat!

I fell asleep at 9pm tonight but woke at 2am and started working because I couldn't sleep. Now, 2.5hrs later I'm still here!

My dad has just been admitted to coronary care - again - so I'm taking my copy of PB in for him.

His heart health was my motivation for switching to Paleo. He was told it was genetic and I recall his doctor telling him that my sister and I should get our cholesterol checked when we were 19 & 20yrs old.

GiraffesEatPineapples Sat 22-Jun-13 00:19:22

Oh no pinkcustard ! I had half a bottle of wine and a cheese toastie a couple of weeks ago plus a few things on hol but still lost weight and gradually getting more paleo as I go along, so keep going! Really interested in the book your reading as saw reviews on amazon, hope it is helpful.

Well my epic fail, its midnight again. keep resolving to prioritise sleep, but seriously - I would need to be in bed at 9 to get reccommended sleep of 9 hours!

PinkCustard Fri 21-Jun-13 18:43:18

Oh dear - embarrassingly 'epic fail' over here!! I know where I've gone wrong though, I've attempted too many major changes all in one go, and as a result failed miserably at any of them blush

But Step 1 is that I'm going to finish the book, from peaking ahead there's a chapter on how to get going with making changes, and I'll then introduce them gradually...

GiraffesEatPineapples Fri 21-Jun-13 17:14:29

I think whole 30 is dairy free so thats what you need to look out for if following strictly. The responses in this cover proetin shakes - egg protein powder is suggested instead of whey supplements

This site covers using nuts etc to make natural smoothies with protein natural protein smoothie

buggyRunner Fri 21-Jun-13 13:56:14

Hi all,

Thanks for the tips- giraffe I'm going to do the full 30 days as much as possible- trying to change my habits for good. Are protein shakes exempt? I had one this morning

I went to aldi this morning and stocked up on nuts (after a mad training session where I am very close to doing my first unaided pull up). I was very impressed with all the meat and veg offers!

GiraffesEatPineapples Fri 21-Jun-13 13:48:23

Raw - I might drive to aldi next week - are there any other things worth stocking up on?

DP off today - for lunch we shared an organic steak with baby spinach and fried onions, I had a sweet potato. it was enough sharing and even though it was mostly organic probably worked out the same as if we had gone to costa and hat lattes and treat for dd (we would have done this before)

RawCoconutMacaroon Fri 21-Jun-13 12:20:21

Breakfasts - this morning, parma ham (aldi does an excellent one, decent price, so have that in the fridge always), with handful of berries and coffee with double cream.

Often, breakfast is left over cold cuts of meat, a few salad leaves, with a few berries or a few nuts.

Breakfast can be anything you fancy it doesn't have to be special breakfast food.

RawCoconutMacaroon Fri 21-Jun-13 12:10:09

For a less American-centric take on Ancestral diets, dietdoctor.com is very good. He is an actual doctor in Sweden, and has caused quite a hooha over there with his advice to eat fat and ditch grains/carbs.

Our grocery products are similar to the Swedish - and most food safety regs are too, so it's food and recipe info is more useful from pov of Uk shoppers.

I've just finished reading "rich food, poor food", mostly aimed at American shoppers, and OMG I am really shocked at what their food industry is able to get away with (laws seem to be more about protecting manufacturers rather than consumers).

Not that there is very much room for complacency with European food processors but our labelling laws seem tighter and stance on chemical residues is in the main tougher.

GiraffesEatPineapples Fri 21-Jun-13 00:21:55

buggyrunner is it whole 30? You get used to it quite quickly. I am round day 11 now, and I picked up dp's tea with milk by mistake and had a sip and thought eww whats wrong with my tea - I now prefer it with coconut milk shock Microwaved sweet potato is a good emergency sugar fix.

This morning I had some tinned sardines in olive and chilli with salad for b/fast. I was having eggs in one form or another most mornings though. It's a good idea to pack something like salad in a tupperware for lunch rather than relying on buying pre packaged things, for instance a lot of the cooked meat in m&S has sugar or nitrates added. I also tried some carrots in a cooked lunch in a cafe recently that looked fine but tasted as if they had been soaked in sugar water. All depends how strict you want to be smile

There are some good blogs that show pics of what people ate for all their meals, unfortunately google isn't bringing one up I liked before but this one might give you some ideas eating plan

misscph1973 Thu 20-Jun-13 21:15:23

Thanks for all the comments on rape seed oil, sweet corn and beans, lots of food for thought! I find that Paleo is often very "American" ie based on what they can get and I do miss a British/European version.

buggyRunner Thu 20-Jun-13 20:56:07

thanks I think I'm going to do a strict 30 day challenge- what do you eat for breakfast? What do you buy for your lunches if you work?

RawCoconutMacaroon Thu 20-Jun-13 20:44:07

Hello buggy. Craving to eat constantly, might mean you need to eat more fat/protein, or may mean that you need to drop carbs really low, at least for a while to let your metabolism adjust.
Remember, fruit (although healthy) needs to be restricted a lot especially to start with.

Also many many people have problems with wheat and wheat derivative and appetite (makes you crave more), so that's something to be strict about.

Cravings should go quite fast, but until they do, go for protein or fat snacks (handful of nuts, some meat, half an avacado etc), not fruit of other carbs.

Hth

buggyRunner Thu 20-Jun-13 19:28:30

hi I can I join you guys? I want to really get into Paleo- I have just started crossfit and am completely inspired by all the women at my gym and they all do Paleo.
I have a few lists of what to eat but can I ask you what you buy on your shopping list? What do you do for quick meals? How do you cure the sweet craving (I did paleo for a week 2 weeks ago and fell off the wagon big time as I just cant stop eating) So I want to do it properly and prepare with snack etc.

RawCoconutMacaroon Thu 20-Jun-13 18:03:44

And finally, it may not look much like it but corn/maize is a grain like wheat,barley and oats etc, and therefore contains the same problem compounds, although no gluten, it has similar proteins that about 10% of gluten sensitive people also react to. White rice is the only fairly benign grain (in moderation).

For much better "why" explanations, marks daily apple has lots of really sensible discussion about all of this smile, but at the end of they day, it's your own individual choice what to go along with, and what not to!

RawCoconutMacaroon Thu 20-Jun-13 17:53:38

Organic animals can be fed very unnatural organic diets, so you get organic chicken fed organic grain, soya and sometimes labeled as 100% vegetarian fed ( chickens are omnivorous), cows and sheep fed organic grain and soya (no part of a natural bovine or ovine diet, ever!), and pigs also.

But at least "organic" means (in the Uk) no GM feed.

Btw, from my farming background I can tell you cows get sick eating grain heavy diets, dairy cows in particular as they eat a grain ration every day.

FavadiCacao Thu 20-Jun-13 17:50:45

Hello and welcome all new!

I don't see major problems with young, tender green or runner beans and sugar snap peas (it's easy enough to remove the beans, should one choose to). Unlike other legumes, peas and broad beans, are edible raw, are low in anti-nutrients (which can be further reduced buy cooking): the occasional one or two is rather pleasant.

Corn is still a grain, so I avoid it. I have tried gluten free bread and pasta made with it and it tastes so sickly sweet to me (but then again I eat unsweetened rhubarb!)

Cold pressed rapeseed and sunflower oils would probably ok but I avoid them because they are very high in omega 6 (rather have nuts wink )

RawCoconutMacaroon Thu 20-Jun-13 17:43:31

Grass fed - in the uk, especially Scotland a Wales, many animals are grass fed for much of the year however feeding them grains and soya to "finish" them before slaughter even for a few weeks greatly reduces the omega 3 content of the meat, and increases the omega 6 (that's bad).

Rapeseed oil, even cold pressed is high omega6. That's one of the big problem with most commercial seed oils.

Immature bean pods which taste sweet are probably ok, older more bitter pods and beans are not (the bitter taste is the natural toxins the plant uses to protect its seeds). I will happily eat fine runner beans (tasty and sweet raw) but not the great big broad bean pods, which I find really quite bitter raw, and only a little less so when they are cooked.

Corn derivatives like high fructose corn syrup are very poor food choices yes, but I'd say the mature whole cob was too. The baby corn are probably fine unless you react to corn. I react to corn/maize in a similar way to wheat... But it takes a larger amount (a single small bite with wheat, a small portion size with corn/maize), so I stay away from even the baby corn.

This thread is not accepting new messages.