Paleo and primal

(1000 Posts)
Daughteroughter Wed 27-Mar-13 01:28:43

I have been reading about paleo and primal diets has anyone tried them?

RawCoconutMacaroon Fri 05-Apr-13 08:58:25

Errr - overbearing? Hardly, 100% paleo? (Whatever that is, anyway!)? No, but I try to be, 95 % of the time and I am not a drone, or I would be doing what I was told and basing my woe on "healthy grains and low fat everything"!

I am trying to point people - anyone who wants to know more- in the direction of blogs/ info that looks at the science of why, in metabolic terms, a more natural way of eating is less damaging to our organs and metabolic pathways than than our current modern diet ( the modern diet really isn't working!).

Now maybe that's my problem, I'm a scientist by training and love to read the "why's"... I think the "why" is very important. But nobody has to listen to anything I say, or anyone else says, it's all just a suggestion, take it or leave it.

Personally, I'm coming from the angle of someone who has done this woe for a long time, lost over 6 stones and gained a lot of health smile. I want other people to archive the same - if the CHOOSE to try this woe grin.

<not overbearing, passionate!>

RawCoconutMacaroon Fri 05-Apr-13 09:04:21

*achieve, obviously!

buildingmycorestrength Fri 05-Apr-13 09:32:24

I AM LOSING WEIGHT!

I use the Libra weight tracking app and weigh myself daily to get a trend reading.

Let's just say this is working.grin grin. grin

teaandthorazine Fri 05-Apr-13 09:45:00

It's horses for courses. People come to paleo/primal for different reasons and with different goals in mind. I think it's hard not to be passionate about the WOE/lifestyle actually, but I also understand what snow is saying - go on some of the forums and you see people arguing the toss over the most insane details. Sometimes it seems that they've just replaced one kind of disordered eating for another...

But I think it's fab to have a little primal community here, so... yay!

And well done building!

Rulesgirl Fri 05-Apr-13 13:16:25

Im with you on that snow . We have to eat what suits us and what we are happy with. If some of us were to become too obsessive about being completely Paleo/Primal we would probably end up binging and gorging late at night in front of the fridge with just the fridge light for company. IYSWIM he he he! If you are really into Paleo and can live that way completely without ever going off course and never giving in to desires for off Paleo foods then that is great. For me it would feel too much like a strict diet with forbidden foods and I would naturally rebel.

Rulesgirl Fri 05-Apr-13 13:22:00

WOW Rawcoco you lost 6 Stone. Well done you. Can I ask how long it took and what you ate on an average day please, if you don't mind. That is really good.

Do you all think I could eat primal while bfing? I loved eating that way before I got pregnant but was scared off it while pregnant (and couldn't face meat for fine months).
Now I am desperate to eat for sustained energy and get past the carb crashes, and preferably lose some baby weight.
Is there a risk of ketones in near milk do you think?

Rulesgirl Fri 05-Apr-13 13:43:57

Well Im not an expert but you could just start to change your diet rather than go completely Primal. But even on Primal you can eat beans and potatoes, dark chocolate etc so no reason to be into ketosis I don't think. Just eat more of the higher carb veg but keep off the grains and sugar. www.marksdailyapple.com/nursing-primal-blueprint-diet/#axzz2PalyPsmT. Hope this link works.

buildingmycorestrength Fri 05-Apr-13 13:44:23

I know Slimming World zealots, Rosemary Conley evangelists, and Atkins fiends. People are naturally enthusiastic about what works for them. Paleo too.

You just have to not be put off by it. I used to be really easily dissuaded by people with an overly technical and perfectionist approach... this isn't easy for me and I hate feeling like I'm 'doing it wrong'...but now I kind of think that all I can do is what works for me, and not worry about what anyone else says.

mrsXsweet Fri 05-Apr-13 13:56:12

So I have been eating this way for a week now and lost 6lbs, yay!
I am finding I am less hungry and for the last couple of days have not had breakfast but instead had an early lunch. Today though I slipped up and we were in town and I was getting hungrier and hungrier, I did'n't buy anything in town but have now got a craving for chocolate even though I have had lunch. I have tried dark chocolate but it has not got rid of my desire for dairy milk and I have to go to the supermarket now, any suggestions of how to resist buying some?
My dd also wants to make biscuits today, she is gluten free anyway but we use dove's farm flour blend so that is going to be another obstacle for me to overcome later!

buildingmycorestrength Fri 05-Apr-13 14:09:33

Eat a high protein snack before you go? Or a piece of fruit or some dried mango? Buy a nakd bar when you get there? Don't go hungry, pretty sure that is not necessary...?

snoworneahva Fri 05-Apr-13 14:09:55

It's what I like about mark sissons approach - more relaxed, he discourages perfectionism, encourages adventures in mind and spirit, not dogma. When approach to diet starts feeling like a religion I for opt out - religious evangelists annoy the bejesus out of me - as do dietary evangelists. I am passionate about feeding my kids well, what you feed your kids on is none of my business.
At the minute we are holidaying in a developing country where salmonella, typhoid and rubies is rife - wheat and sugar are the least of our concerns when choosing a meal in a restaurant. Eating paleo would be a nightmare, nevermind losing out on tasting all the safer food options on the menu. We eat intend to eat paleo where we can, but we don't freak when the kids eat haribos or pizza occasionally and I'd rather they have a paleo friendly cake than a kitkat on a daily basis - they are skinny waifs, nutrient density is important for the dcs - not weight control...appreciate others may have different goals and therefore their diet reflects that - no need for us all to take the same road. Love the idea of our own wee paleo corner.

mrsXsweet Fri 05-Apr-13 14:12:40

Thank u building, I didn't know I could eat naked bars, I think that is the way forward! I'm not hungry just got the words 'dairy milk' going round and round my head. Fingers crossed I will resist.

RawCoconutMacaroon Fri 05-Apr-13 14:15:40

Rules- 7 years total low carb, paleo for the last couple. As you'd expect, most weight was lost in the first couple of years, but the Health benefits really kicked in within days of going properly paleo (ditching the grains), for me they are a huge problem, and for many other people too. I really didn't realise the extent of it until I stopped eating them.

I eat lots of - meat, fish, poultry, non starchy veg and leaves and herbs. Coconut, coconut milk.

Some nuts, seed and dried fruits, very dark choc, grain free alcohol, butter, cheese, cream, sweet potato. Raw honey.
I would eat egg, but I am allergic to
the yolk!

I roast, casserole, stirfry, curry - normal food really just a bit different, from scratch as I know exactly what is in it.

RawCoconutMacaroon Fri 05-Apr-13 14:22:03

Black current- I have been pregnant, and bf while eating this way- DS appears none the worse for that, and I have read at least one research paper that showed the nutrient content of bm improved on a paleo diet containing no grains!

However! I did eat a bit more starchy veg during this time, its what I seemed to need at that point, so I wouldn't have been in ketosis.

teaandthorazine Fri 05-Apr-13 14:24:14

blackcurrants - I see no reason whatsoever why you shouldn't adopt paleo/primal eating again. You don't have to be in ketosis anyway to get the health/weight benefits. Our ancestors breastfed on a primal diet after all - probably a far more restrictive/potentially ketogenic one than ours too! Stay off the refined sugar/grains and processed carbs, stick to fresh, whole foods, you'll be absolutely fine... as will your baby smile

TheYamiOfYolk Fri 05-Apr-13 14:46:25

Hello paleo folks! It's nice to dee a thread. I discovered Mark Sissons a couple of years ago and I liked the theory, but it didn't do much for me in practice. However I did a Whole 30 in January and it was amazing; I felt so much happier and more comfortable with my body even before the physical changes kicked in. I did the email support programme which cost just under a tenner and was worth every penny many times over.

For BedHanger in particular, but women in general, I recommend the Paleo for Women blog which deals a lot with body image, hormones and learning to accept yourself.

TheYamiOfYolk Fri 05-Apr-13 14:53:07

Oh, and regarding the paleo perfectionism, primal didn't work for me because it was too easy to sneak in cheaty foods. I now aim for strict Whole 30 style primal, which means that when I cheat it's with stuff that is allowed on primal. I've had a week off paleo for Easter (festive food plus illness plus school holidays lead to a grain-filled cupboard) but I'm really looking forward to going back to eating normally (i.e. Paleo) from Monday.

I think that some people are fine on primal, but while I'm ok with carbs and high-fat dairy, grains and sugars send my moods all over the place and I can't do moderation.

buildingmycorestrength Fri 05-Apr-13 14:59:34

Mrs I don't think nakd bars are strictly paleo as they have oats (I am a newbie and don't really know the ins and outs) but better than a dairy milk, right?

mrsXsweet Fri 05-Apr-13 15:01:53

I didn't buy dairy milk!

teaandthorazine Fri 05-Apr-13 15:21:00

Well done MrsXsweet! Anyway, a couple of weeks of good quality dark choc and you won't be able to stomach dairy milk anyway! My dp eats it like it's going out of fashion and I just find it so sickly and tasteless now - it's like chewing on plastic... give me hotel chocolat 85% anyday...

Xenia Fri 05-Apr-13 15:23:18

I wouldn't buy a bar of anything as it's not natural. I think for me why this works is it is simply a normal way to eat. The fact most of the popular stuff themselves with things that are not real food like crispy creme donuts does not mean they have a right to say that if I eat fish, veg, meat, berries that I am weird or unusual. I eat real normal foods mankind ate for 2 million years and it is a bit unfair when people suggest it is faddy to eat what mankind always has eaten. It is the 18 stone bun guzzlers who are the aberrant disordered ones surely.

snoworneahva Fri 05-Apr-13 15:27:41

yami you are right, all our bodies react differently to foods, some people don't tolerate dairy, grain free alcohol or sugar very well, while others seem fine - our bodies all seem to react differently. I love how mark sissons focuses on fitness, de-stressing, sleep. There's so much more to a healthy life than just what you eat.
While on holiday, we haven't been able to eat paleo but we have walked at least 10 miles every day and kept up with our circuits.

knitknack Fri 05-Apr-13 15:27:46

We eat like this too (despite being told it was 'faddy' on another thread!). I've never felt better, or calmer, than when I'm doing this WOE...

RawCoconutMacaroon Fri 05-Apr-13 15:32:52

Re naked bars - there are two types, in confusingly similar packaging! One type is dates and nuts, the other type also has oats.

This thread is not accepting new messages.